Forum for kitesurfers
johnmelton
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bladder valves coming off from heat

Postby johnmelton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 am

What is the status of this issue? I did a search and there haven't been any posts on this issue in a long time. After getting tired of reading old posts I never found any solid resolution to this issue other than replacing original valves with Airtime valves. This gets expensive when you end up having to replace every single valve on every one of your kites, not to mention a waste of a lot of time and missed sessions. Are there any brands of kites that don't have reasonable heat related issues with their kites? After all, this is generally a warm season sport, the beach sand gets hot, our cars get hot, I always carry three sizes of kite so I don't miss a session, but never take all three to the beach so two stay covered in the car. This isn't going to change. I really don't want to go back to foils just for this reason but I will if this hasn't been resolved. Thanks

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Re: Bladder valves coming off from heat

Postby mobettah » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:41 am

johnmelton wrote:What is the status of this issue? I did a search and there haven't been any posts on this issue in a long time. After getting tired of reading old posts I never found any solid resolution to this issue other than replacing original valves with Airtime valves. This gets expensive when you end up having to replace every single valve on every one of your kites, not to mention a waste of a lot of time and missed sessions. Are there any brands of kites that don't have reasonable heat related issues with their kites? After all, this is generally a warm season sport, the beach sand gets hot, our cars get hot, I always carry three sizes of kite so I don't miss a session, but never take all three to the beach so two stay covered in the car. This isn't going to change. I really don't want to go back to foils just for this reason but I will if this hasn't been resolved. Thanks
Any valve I've reglued on with Aquaseal has retained its seal. Granted it isn't as hot up in Canada here as NC..... :D

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:40 pm

I used gluefix (which i read is Aquaseal) to stick a valve back on and it failed miserably? Is it not ment for this? Do you need to keep pressue on it for the whole time its curing?

Asking here as there is nothing on the kitefix site about it.

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm

I use the glue it's like aquaseal, bought it at a dive shop for $4.00. It's used to repair wetsuits, it's black in color. I pry up the edge of the bladder around the base of the nipple (I use a fine tip chop stick) & squirt the glue under neath the base and it has held fine. The glue stays flexible. I do put some air in the bladder and tie off either side of the nipple so the bladder takes it's natural shape so the glue adhears the way it should when fully inflated. Then I tie a sting to the nipple & hang it up over night to keep pressure on the base . My nipples are glued on the inside of the bladder, not outside. If I was fixing one that was glued to the ouside I would use weight or clothes pins on the nipple while the glue cures. You have to be careful if the glue gets in the bladder you dont glue the 2 sides of the bladder together, another reason to inflate bladder . The glue is pretty runny, but because it's black you can see where it's going. This is a easy & inexpensive fix the annoying thing is all the valves don't come off at the same time so you end up fixing the same kite repeatedly.
One other method: I have used a vinyl poor repair kit & cut out circular patch 3-4 inches in diameter and cut out the center just smaller than the base of the nipple then applied glue to the bladder & the patch & glued the it on the bladder. This method might be best when the hole around the nipple base is stretched out or when repairing a nipple that is glued on the outside of the bladder.

Broz

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 am

Whats the name of it?

Also can anyone tell me the correct way to use gluefix on valves? I have about 30 to glue back on...

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 am

woodfu wrote:I used gluefix (which i read is Aquaseal) to stick a valve back on and it failed miserably? Is it not ment for this? Do you need to keep pressue on it for the whole time its curing?

Asking here as there is nothing on the kitefix site about it.
Not sure if gluefix is aquaseal but I do keep pressure on it while it is curing. I cut out a piece of waxed paper and put that on first so the weight doesn't stick to the glue. I also make sure that the edge of the valve is covered over with glue. Think of it like gluing it on the bottom and top.

Make sure it is clean and there is no residue talcum powder from the bladder where you are gluing.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:46 am

Had to repair my first leaky valve the other day. Strut bladder; the valve was in perfect shape except that it was leaking around the base. I bought some AquaSeal. Gently peeled the valve all the way off the bladder (careful so as not to damage the bladder). Clean both surfaces with rubbing alchohol and let dry. Put thin coat of AquaSeal on the bladder, as well as on the base of valve. Let dry for a few minutes (as stated on the AquaSeal instructions). Then position the valve and press it in place. Put a 5 lb. Weider weight on it (dumbbell weight). The hole in the center of the Weider weight fits perfectly over the valve stem and acts as the weight to keep the valve firmly against the bladder during the cure time. Left it that way overnight to cure (again... just like the AquaSeal instruction say...).

AquaSeal is a contact cement. It should be applied lightly to both surfaces, then let the surfaces dry a bit (3-5 minutes typically) before joining the two pieces. Then, weight it and leave it alone for the cure time.

Worked fine so far. No leaks.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:26 am

Give it a season of hot weather, it will leak.
Not the first session, or maybe not the 10th, but it wil leak.
Of course, you can always fix it again.... :-?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 am

from my 2008 kite the valves are coming off now, when I am in hot weather.

Normally it lasts a season, then this starts to happen. Be prepared when going to a hot location and have according glue with you...and do look at the valves first if your tube looses air...so far a 100% hit in my case.

mujo71
Rare Poster

Postby mujo71 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 am

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR KITES IN YOUR CAR TRUNK AFTER YOUR SESSIONS, ESPECIALLY FOR STORAGE IN YOUR CAR TRUNK.

OBVIOUSLY ITS MUCH HOTTER IN THERE THEN IT IS OUTSIDE.

I store them in my house. Works! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Mike

Return to “Kitesurfing”