Lines untwisting on SB IDS 12 after a spin

Forum for kitesurfers
wallyman
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Lines untwisting on SB IDS 12 after a spin

Postby wallyman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Have the SB 3 which has a swivel serving no purpose at all . Does the IDS still have the same untwisting problems ? how about the tangling of the safety line after a few spins ? Bit of a mess or does the swivel actually serve a purpose?

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Re: Lines untwisting on SB IDS 12 after a spin

Postby toddsphresh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:11 pm

a better question would be... Id there a stock bar that does not have this problem? Because i have never seen one. the only solution i have come up with is having two swivels one below the bar and one above the bar. this system works about 90% of the time for me but occasionally i still have to untwist the front lines with my hand so i am still waiting for someone to make a bar that untwists the front lines 100% even after multiple spins. is this really asking that much.....?? :argue:

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 pm

toddsphresh wrote:a better question would be... Id there a stock bar that does not have this problem? Because i have never seen one. the only solution i have come up with is having two swivels one below the bar and one above the bar. this system works about 90% of the time for me but occasionally i still have to untwist the front lines with my hand so i am still waiting for someone to make a bar that untwists the front lines 100% even after multiple spins. is this really asking that much.....?? :argue:

Doesn't the Core bar solve this problem, by using "center axis" swivels, allowing the safety line to take a direct path through the 2 front lines and then through the bar and then through the center of the chicken loop?

Have their been problems involving twisting up of the safety line around the depower line, after multiple rotations or spins?

It seems to me that the system used by Core and Flysurfer is the only design that could prevent. or at least minimize, the above twisting problem. Why isn't everyone using this design?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 pm

If I remember correctly, the SB3 has a swivel at the top of the depower loop, below the bar. It works all the time as you manually turn the red QR to unspin your lines..works 100% of the time. The swivel on the IDS kites is above the depower assembly and works better for some than others...it has ball bearing inside as gets frozen. As part of my rigging routine I check my swivel...if jammed, I work it, pulling each end away from each other and turning back and forth until free. If you try and turn without pulling end away from each other it will stay jammed. I find that if it works on the beach, it works on the water. I agree, I wish they would come up with a swivel that works all the time automatically, or utilized the SB3 depower loop so you can always unspin the center lines.The swivel above the depower assembly on the 2010s is different and better than the '09, but still doesn't work 100%
steve
Last edited by experienced1 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

wallyman
Frequent Poster

Postby wallyman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:53 am

Do you think the SB 3 is less complicated in turns of lines twisting compared to the IDS ?Have heard the ids takes a bit longer running lines out? Dont know weather to upgrade or hang on for another year, cheers

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:05 am

the IDS line runs from the depower loop thru the bar and to a swivel about 9' from the bar. So, to lay out your lines, you just grab the two outside lines at the bar and walk them out until you get to the swivel, then pick up the two center lines which are attached to the swivel on the kite side of the swivel and then walk all four lines to the kite like you would any four line kite. Simple. advantages of a 5th line without the negatives of having 5 lines.
steve

abowman
Medium Poster

Postby abowman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Get rid of the swivel and either spin the other way or loop it :D Swivels suck, IMHO.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Flown the SB3 a lot. Great kite, the swivel works all the time, but doesn't work automatically. I ride suicide, so all I do is grab the leash where it hooks on suicide and turn the red release to unspin the lines. If you don't grab the leash it will get spun as you unspin the lines. This works all the time for me. The easy answer is always to do tricks in both directions, but some days with the wind and the waves I end up doing things more one way than the other, on these days this means of unspinning the lines works great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”