kidsan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recommend me a kite

Postby kidsan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:12 am

Hi, i am a beginner (can now get up and go for a couple of minutes at a time). I have been learning on an old c-kite that has gratefully come to the end of its days and am looking for a new kite.

The conditions here are: winds 13-20knots most of the year. (i weigh 73kg)

I have been offered an almost-new 12m banditdos (for 700Euros) but it is not available till the end of sept and, as i will be passing through the Canaries next week, i thought i would look to see what they have in the store there.

I think there may be a Rev2 for sale and also a Fuel . Anything else i should be looking out for? Is there anything much better than a banditdos on the market?

am also open to board advice as well!

Thanks...K

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Re: Recommend me a kite

Postby FabsPH » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 am

Check out, if you can, the Vari Condor 9m
varikites.com

C power, Hybrid de-power, Bow feel.
The 9m will cover you , will take place of a 8m and 12m.
Perfect for waves and freestyle... and in my opp, for a beginner. Very soft feel. I've been kiting for 10 years, and love it. (using it for 1 month now)

But, if not a Vari, get a hybrid for sure. Rev's are great as well. Eclipse Thrusters are awesome.

Anemoi
Rare Poster
Gear: 09 Rev 9m... 09 Shinn 129 and a Shinn Wave.

Postby Anemoi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:58 am

Can't go wrong with a Rev...
I've been around kiting for some time, and I'd like to add that having just moved over to Slingshot, I find their after sales service refreshingly excellent.

kidsan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete

Postby kidsan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Anemoi wrote:Can't go wrong with a Rev...
I've been around kiting for some time, and I'd like to add that having just moved over to Slingshot, I find their after sales service refreshingly excellent.
How is the build quality on a rev? I have read some posts saying that people have had problems with pulleys and stiching...any verification.

And i think a 9m is just too small for here. People are using 12m minimum right now

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:25 pm

kidsan wrote:
How is the build quality on a rev? I have read some posts saying that people have had problems with pulleys and stiching...any verification.

And i think a 9m is just too small for here. People are using 12m minimum right now
You will never get a strait answer on this. People here rave about kites they ride and bash what they don't. For instance: FabsPH has always raved about Eclipse Thrusters until he got the Condor. Now he tells everyone that is the kite to have. Try before you buy!!

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:36 pm

The build quality of the rev and all slingshot kites is top. hard to find a better built kite. Every kite that has pulleys needs more maintenance than a kite that does not. All kite companies use the exact same pulleys. There are two or three types that they use, and they all work if you keep them clean and free, but will bite hard if you don't.

kitesurf66
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurf66 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:45 pm

schmoe wrote:The build quality of the rev and all slingshot kites is top. hard to find a better built kite. Every kite that has pulleys needs more maintenance than a kite that does not. All kite companies use the exact same pulleys. There are two or three types that they use, and they all work if you keep them clean and free, but will bite hard if you don't.
I agree that slinghot quality is one of the best, but that is hard to find a better built kite is a big stretch. Caution had the first bomb proof quality, before any other company, and still continues with the same quality. Ocean Rodeo also makes bomb proof quality and very good performing kites.

Getting back to the topic, I can say that as previously said, try before you buy if you can because there are so many good kites in the market, that is tough to recommend one. The best you can get from your post is to know what's available and what you may want to try to make up your mind which one works for your conditions.

K66

Francisco_C
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ocean Park and " the island "...
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Escondido ,MX , Salsa Brava , CR La Punta , RD among a few...
Style: Don't know !!???
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: SkyBanditz Kiteboarding Puerto Rico

Postby Francisco_C » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:02 pm

In my opinion , take a look at the Waroo from Best or the Kahoona really good kites to growth with ... :thumb:

peligro18
Medium Poster
Local Beach: i just bought it!

Postby peligro18 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:20 am

kidsan wrote:Hi, i am a beginner (can now get up and go for a couple of minutes at a time). I have been learning on an old c-kite that has gratefully come to the end of its days and am looking for a new kite.

The conditions here are: winds 13-20knots most of the year. (i weigh 73kg)

I have been offered an almost-new 12m banditdos (for 700Euros) but it is not available till the end of sept and, as i will be passing through the Canaries next week, i thought i would look to see what they have in the store there.

I think there may be a Rev2 for sale and also a Fuel . Anything else i should be looking out for? Is there anything much better than a banditdos on the market?

am also open to board advice as well!

Thanks...K

i am like you and i just had a rhino from north 2008 and it has a lot of depower and can get you going with those conditions

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:58 am

noel wrote:
kidsan wrote:

You will never get a strait answer on this. People here rave about kites they ride and bash what they don't. For instance: FabsPH has always raved about Eclipse Thrusters until he got the Condor. Now he tells everyone that is the kite to have. Try before you buy!!
I still use the Eclipse 8m and 6m, just needed a new kite after my 12m broke. And I got a great deal on the Vari. Since it's a 9m and I replaced my 12 with it, of course i rave about it. My main point was , to get a hybrid kite. Best choice for a beginner.

Return to “Kitesurfing”