Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Speed3 - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Postby McAbe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:45 pm

You need wind to surf but you hardly need any wind at all to keep a foil in the air.
I think the Spleene is slightly better than Flysurfer in extreme light wind, but anyway you get the point.
http://vimeo.com/17733081

duloid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kralova, Dunaj, Slnava
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DLX, Flysurfer Unity 8m, Flysurfer Speed 4 10m DLX, Xenon Rayo 130, Slingshot Celeritas

Postby duloid » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:21 am

jumarcil wrote:
duloid wrote:Kami saw your discuss on the Epic tread, it's pretty funny ... I think on kiteforum is more treads about the wind speed measured on the beach during session ... I have few videos and pictures showing the wind speed and I'm ridding ... some of them are under 5 knots .. but I would never claim that I rode under or even little over 5 knots ... yeah I guy is right his friend's wind meter showed him 3 - 8 knots.. but he was probably standing back to wind with wind meter in a front of him ... :) or he was sitting behind the sand dune .. who knows ... it's funny that he said he didn't even feel the wind in his face ...

everyone who rides know what is 3 knots .... claiming rides in 3 knots with gust to 8 ... I don't know .. sounds crazy ...

wind meter or anemometer is just device to check the approximate wind conditions ... at the particular place, time etc.

this theme is just too difficult ... everyone has own right and thought ... but the right is somewhere in the middle

I'll will post the picture anyway
Riding in 3 knots is physically impossible. In the summer even a 21m S3 wouldn't stay in the air. I have ridden in reading of 4 or 5 knots on land but 50 feet in the air it might have read 8 or 9 knots.

So all these post about windmeter showing 3, 4 or 5 knots mean only what they show; the amount of knots on the beach.

One thing that I know for sure though is that so far nothing beats the big 19m and 21m when it comes to LW. When it is really light the last ones that always keep going are the Speed :-) And for hangtime they can't be beat..

Jules

yeah totally agree with you ... just don't understand why somebody is claiming successful session in 3 knots with gust to 8 ... maybe Alice in Wonderland and kite2haven??

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 am

Well there IS video evidence - there's video of someone riding and they tell us it's less than 8 knots and hey I believe them ... don't you?

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:Well there IS video evidence - there's video of someone riding and they tell us it's less than 8 knots and hey I believe them ... don't you?
I do - I do it myself. :)

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Ned Divine wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Well there IS video evidence - there's video of someone riding and they tell us it's less than 8 knots and hey I believe them ... don't you?
I do - I do it myself. :)
I do it myself also on the 21m :thumb:
Usually I rule the bay and I'm the only one riding when it's light.
I never forget when one day it was a sunset Soul Ride 6 to 8 knots low tide
and completely mirror being the last rider out there with some strong thermals +.
So when I managed to time and fill the gaps,
boosting big airs over 10 sec hang time from butter flat water,
21m Speed3=PRICELESS is beyond words, a Zen kind of experience :cheers:

I hope I can repeat that feeling and unforgetable day with a proof of video again
might as well to take the $10,000 prize from PMU :lol:

DrLW
Attachments
Flat Water Lagoon Thermals.JPG
Thermals are Jamming Up
Before a City at over heated shallow waters
Flat Water Lagoon Thermals.JPG (31.33 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:09 pm

That doesn't look fun at all. Isn't he more or less just creating apparent wind by backing up and walking in a circle?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:13 am

And I have too ... that's the thing, isn't it - less than 8 knots isn't a huge deal with the right gear. I KNOW that 6 knots is about the limit for riding cross wind ... 5 knots if I don't mind going downwind doing nothing. 4 knots, I probably can't get up on a plane.
How do I know the windspeed? Cos I measure it and the Met service confirms.

And I've stood at the edge of the water with an anemometer in my hand and measured 3 knots - I might have been able to launch a kite and keep it in the air, but it's not pulling anything anywhere and I'll be walking backwards.

I FEEL that at 2 knots, if the SA is already in the air, I can keep it there by carefully keeping it moving ... less than that and it's not flying at all.

... but NEVER would I be idiot enough to claim that my session was 'riding in 2 to 6 knots' or even "5 knots with gusts to 0" :roll: how matter what magic the conditions supposedly provided :nono2: or how mythical my skills are :shit:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:13 am

double post

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 pm

my speed3 15 just saved me a 3h ride, 2 days ago :) with a no volume (like TT) directionnal board (170/48)

my buddy (heavier than me) with his race board and a 12 cab couldn t hold ground while working it... (a 14 at least would habe been better)and the kite dropped out , never mamaged to relaunch it (he s a way better kiter than me)

wind dropped below 5 knots, i managed to relaunch the kite by pulling the front lines then working it until the wind came back to waterstart, i bodydragged upwind slowly until i could ride on the board again ( onshore wind, trees on the shore..not good..)

the speed3 dropped out after a zero wind lull (and OF COURSE on the path of the big boats...just to piss me) and turned out into a globe of tissu, in the middle of the lake, i was like ,"OMG i'm screwed" (the polite version) ( things like that happens only on snow for me), i pulled a rear line (and praying , it might help) and she opened slowly, LE to the water, reversed launched it and ride again...

wind climbed well (up to 25knots)... everyone was able to ride and i used my synergy to keep going. the speed3 allowed me to ride 3h more than the others.

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Flysurfer in Cozumel !!