Local Beach: Can Pastilla
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Speed3 - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Postby Kitemallorca » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 am

For low wind the Speed2 is the best option. Many other brands promise the same light-wind performance but if you compare it one to one in the same conditions you will know what we talk about. Try not just to ride - try to jump the different kites in light wind - if you compare the airtime the difference is even bigger.
The relaunch you practice a bit the more often you do it the easier it gets, also in very light winds.
A lot o kite brands promote there kites as really good for low wind- but many times that is simply ridicules. I can not wait to try the Speed3. A kite with the power of a Speed2 19 and as fast as a Speed2 15 would be so great - especially for the place I live.

poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby poldo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 am

Speed 2 made history, but today with new race boards and hydrofoil going in 8kts with a 12-13m pump, I'm not sure these big foil makes still sense...

Kitemallorca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Can Pastilla
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby Kitemallorca » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 am

Did you ever try how different it is to ride a raceboard in very low wind or a big Flysurfer?
To ride a raceboard is absolutely different.
I am sure 90% of the people who try will prefer the big foil:
The reasons:
The tube will not relaunch in very low wind - to relaunch a foil is no problem even in 6kn.
The tube wont be stabile in such low wind you have to fly it with one hand holding the raceboard in the other
for beginners impossible a big task even for intermediate kiter. A Flysurfer stays a the zenith - you even don t have to touch the bar.
To get going with the raceboard and the tubekite - first you have to fly up and down the kite to get going if you don t do that well .....
once on the board you need a lot of speed otherwise the kite has to littel power.
The big foil you fly once through the wind-window - you get enough power to get on the board and if you find the right angel for the board you can park the kite an ride -you go even upwind after a few meter.
The raceboard is difficult to edge because volume and no grab on the frontside (no fin there)
The water-start is much more difficult because of that.
one on the board first you have to go downwind to gain speed, but if you go to much towards the kite the lines lose tension the kite does not stear and..... the relaunch...
You need a very good feeling for the board and the kite - in 8 kn you have to ride down wind many meters to gain enough speed to able to go upwind - constantly flying the kite up and down.
Jumping is impossible Raceboards are designed not to jump at all
A Speed2 19 jumps really good in 8kn - you just need the right timing - because the kite is not fast - but already powerfull.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:39 am

i dont understand why people have troubles with the size of their kites... 19, 13, 7? who cares?
i use the size that allow me to be parked AND powered...for the current wind.
very high aspec ratio kite are parked immediatly, so u don t need to work them, so u don t care about their nimbleness... if u want to jump, just pull the bar and get your timing. it s slow in turns but learn and adapt...peeps seems to have HUGE troubles to learn and adapt....

for me, the kite is just a propellor, my main objective is having fun with my board (on snow or on water), the kite is secondary, it s just here because it replace a boat or whatever. the less i have to focus on the kite, the better it is.
with my speed², i m parked and powered at 8knots, with my C-shapes , same in 20knots or 30 knots, as far as i m parked and powered, i dont care much of the size of the kite...

if a 30m kite would allow me to be parked and powered in 3 knots, i d take one.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 am

about the video: comparing a bigger foil against a smaller tube is not really fair, isn't it?

MnO
Medium Poster

Postby MnO » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:40 am

PBKiteboarding wrote:Good to relaunch in that... most times.. Best thing is is stays in the air in very low winds... Customers love it for that. Deluxe Version for less weight will relaunch easier...

Since the Closed cell foils are well balanced and light in weight... makes it easier to get back...
Found a movie as I'm coming in on a 12m Speed from upwind in very light winds, shows how keeping the kite in the air helps on some day as the wind really drops.... So even my next 12m will probably be a Deluxe Edition like my 19m.

Many days here the wind can drop fast and we just want to get back with a dry kite.

[*youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAn_ihLZ5c8[/youtube*]
If you can get a bow/sle to lift in one wintip and get up standing on the side like the rider does in the video clip at around 3.00-3.40 it´s a pure pilot error to not relaunch it. The wind is definately strong enough to relaunch. He or she is just giving the wrong bar input. All he need to do is to get it to fall over a little bit more with the trailing edge down. Then a slight pull in the depower strap while keeping a bit of tension in the pulled leader line, and that kite would be flying just as good as the FS in the video. That tubekite can be relaunched in way less wind than in the video. If you pull one leader line and nothing at all happens the wind is to low to do a normal relaunch procedure. Then you try to pull both leader lines, fly the kite backwards a bit and then flip the kite in the air. If it doesn´t lift then either you wait for a small gust and give the lines a couple of pumps to pop the kite loose from the water, and then pull one side and try to flip it into trailing edge down. Before the kite gets to wet really yank the depower strap and pump it brutally up in the window. It will go up in 4 knots from that position. But when you have as much wind as in the video? Come on! He is getting a full response from pulling a leader line! It´s not even close of being a problem to relaunch.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 am

I got some more info about the video above.

Looks like kitemallorca wants to compare a FS 19 to a Spleene Q 12.

I found a picture that shows the following:

Wind 5-7 kn, measured on the house next to the beach, official windmeter station.
Kite: Spleene 12er Q Proto
Board: Door 64

There is no foil out...

So, if one wants to compare, then do it with fairness...and maybe change the title of the video.
That would be more serious.

Comparing only works with equally good riders, same boards, similar sizes. Everything else is lame and not professional.

Thanks
Toby
Attachments
R11_0194 (Large).JPG

kiteguy80
Rare Poster

Postby kiteguy80 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 am

Does speed3 15,19 has better/worse/same low end comparing to speed2 15,19 (same sizes) ?

wildocean
Rare Poster

Postby wildocean » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:02 am

kiteguy80 wrote:Does speed3 15,19 has better/worse/same low end comparing to speed2 15,19 (same sizes) ?
Armin replied to that question (on this forum or on another one I don't remember?): he said the Speed3 is supposed to have at least the same low-end as the Speed2, potential for a little bit better...

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 am

kiteguy80 wrote:Does speed3 15,19 has better/worse/same low end comparing to speed2 15,19 (same sizes) ?
Armin says YES, but I think this is the question that only the upcoming test would answer :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”