race board vs door style boards???

Forum for kitesurfers
biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

race board vs door style boards???

Postby biggins » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:31 pm

After checking the specs on the north board for example, it say 163x45cm.

The monster door for example is 167x50cm.

Judging by sheer planing surface it seems to me that the door style would be the better light wind board, no?

Do the race boards have enough volume to overcome that, or do the fins make that big a difference?

Just curious as I've never tried the race boards, just the door style, skims, surfboards etc.

thanks,

j

kuasikiter
Medium Poster

Re: race board vs door style boards???

Postby kuasikiter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 pm

light wind and race are just two different planets:
you can always use a big twin tip (and kite of course) for your light wind sessions, specially if you want to try some simple tricks, other than simply go back and forth.
On the other hand, a race board is much more technical matter: you can still use it in ligth(er) wind conditions, because of it's beefer volume, but you have to be able to ride it properly in order to get some fun out of it (e.g.: those fins can make it fly upwind in 7knots but they can stop it like an anchor, too).

check this and see what I mean:

:thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 pm

biggins wrote:After checking the specs on the north board for example, it say 163x45cm.

The monster door for example is 167x50cm.

Judging by sheer planing surface it seems to me that the door style would be the better light wind board, no?

Do the race boards have enough volume to overcome that, or do the fins make that big a difference?

Just curious as I've never tried the race boards, just the door style, skims, surfboards etc.

thanks,

j
Yup - the volume and the surface area of a race board is not that important.

They still outperform a door or any other board by a huge margin regarding both low end and upwind ability and comfort in "not flat" water - because of the efficient tail and fins.
At the same time they work much better in waves/chop, as they are "directionals" build to ride natural, and not a flat board that has to ride equally "bad" in both directions so to speak.

But you are more on or off on a small raceboard, as it performs top when planing (which it does so easy), but it almost dont work when not planing.
A door can just "cruise" slowly when not planing !

The bigger raceboards also work when "gliding" but not planing though, in extremely marginal conditions :thumb:

So you get the buoancy and easy to ride chop like a waveboard, the early planing like a door, and the speed and agility like a skimboard :D
WITHOUT getting the slowness of a waveboard in light wind, the catching corners in chop/waves like a door, and the stiff sliding ride of a skimboard - so the negatives are "out" :thumb:

A door is great for beginners in light wind - but a raceboard can really do wonders as soon as you get the hang of it 8)

But doing freestyle tricks is better on a door of course - although jumping is awesome on a raceboard :naughty:

Kindly, Peter Frank

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:17 pm

can take a door obviously into a few inches of water vs. race boards w/ huge fins

Extremekiter
Rare Poster

Postby Extremekiter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm

I ve been testing the Flydoor XL vs the north racing board.
The door is getting on earlier and is a lot easier to control.
If the wind is picking up a bit more the North racing board will get you more upwind.

If you want to go for the best lightwind board to ride and have fun, I would say go for a really big dore.

diogobethonico
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None
Favorite Beaches: Búzios, Vitória e Nordeste brasileiro.
Style: wave
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby diogobethonico » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:38 pm

Extremekiter wrote:I ve been testing the Flydoor XL vs the north racing board.
The door is getting on earlier and is a lot easier to control.
If the wind is picking up a bit more the North racing board will get you more upwind.

If you want to go for the best lightwind board to ride and have fun, I would say go for a really big dore.
Last year I first tried a Race Board, and i would have agreed with everything you said had i NOT tried a new race board last week.

The board i tried last year had 2 fins (just like the North board), and it was really not very easy to control. I found it uncomfortable. Buying a race board was not in my plans since then. But i tried a new QUAD fins board last week. What a difference... The board was really smooth and i could ride it for long periods without being tired.

About early planning: the North Race LTD is 163x45. The Custom Board i'm Buying is a 180x52 :o .
I don't think a Door is gonna plan earlier than that.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:35 am

Race boards have a very splatty feel to them due to the wide tail and ridgid structure.
The fat wide tails also makes turning them no fun.
If you want to go fast in a straight line they are fine.
In chop they are far from comfortable.

They are for racing... not made for fun or comfort.

A good door type board will be more fun in low wind. More tricks to do.
Also the flex pattern of these boards makes them way more comfortable in the chop.
You can plane with a flat board or slice through the water edging the board.

Forget about a race board in waves and whitewater... fins are just way to deep.

I built and intresting board a while ago... I called it the yellow bullet.
It has a wide tail like a door or a raceboard, but hase ultra flexible tail tips.
The front is biult with a surfboard type rocker. The rails are super thin.
It has a moderate concave to it.

The result was a super smooth low wind cruiser and pretty good in the waves.
Really easy to ride strapless becasue due to the low volume and thin rails
it edges really well.
The ultra flexible tips make it ride without that splatty feel and make the board turn pretty fast
because the tip flex also makes the fins turn sort of steering the board.

Here is a link to a thread about the board:
http://www.foilzone.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... low+bullet
My absolute favorite low wind boards are several Aviso surfboard models.

5'10 Dick Van Straalen Dave Rastovitch Fish
6'6" Lost mayhem three fin
7' Moby Fish

All with Rainbow Fin Company speedwings fins.
Only on ther Fish I will replace the speedwings with Sea Sheppard Fish fins if I'm doing a long upwinder.

The Aviso boards have the absolute best flex pattern for comfort and precision on a directional board.
The boards are hollow with very ridgid rails, but loads of flex in the hull.

see here:
http://www.avisosurf.com/TechAdvantage.html

Look at the Animation.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 am

I have the opposite experience 8)

I think Race boards are much more comfortable in waves and whitewater and chop, than a door.

But I think the difference (might be) - that the latest light wind race boards are NOT comfortable nor that much fun either, as too big and "finned" :o
They are not as fun to jump high and do rotations (well, they are - but the landing can be a bit more tricky)

But a bit smaller fins, and it still goes early and upwind, but very comfortable at the same time is my experience :D

You can call it a "freeride setup" instead of a full "racing setup" - or board type :thumb:

The thing about these "freeride" raceboards is - that they feel so light on your feet, that it feels like riding a really small TT board :D
And at the same time they adapt so easy to chop or waves, so easy to cross relaxed through these.

But not as beginner orientated - as you have to learn to jibe (and maybe tack) , and you have to learn to "get on a plane and go" :rollgrin:

Very easy, but not if you are a newbie :roll:

For my 75kg the North LTD is perfect. Or other custom raceboards with the front fins removed or smaller fins.
Maybe other boards are easy to ride as "freeride" ? I have seen many pictures of new raceboards with small fins, compared to what is used around here on the customs.

Being a (previous) windsurfer, it feels much easier and more "right" too - maybe if not used to windsurfing, it feels odd or hard ?

I agree they are not made for doing lots of tricks - but you use a board like that for going out in extremely low wind, so you will have limited options anyway (and is it really that fun doing tricks in 8-11 knots anyway, compared to what you are used to when okay wind ?).

But being able to go out and ride without just going back and fourth - but going upwind and downwind, and with awesome speed (and jumping high because of the huge apparant wind and great board "release" from the water) is quite astonashing :naughty:

A waveboard is not a light wind board at all (only in waves, it can be used but you can not go upwind), so nothing to do here...

Thats why I have found a freeride raceboard to be really really useful, if one wants to go out in low wind now and then, and "get around".

Especially if you are riding waveboards - a raceboard feels so much better than a TT :thumb:

But if you are used to a TT, a door or similar might be the better choice.

Maybe it is as simple as that ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: They still outperform a door or any other board by a huge margin regarding both low end and upwind ability and comfort in "not flat" water - because of the efficient tail and fins.
are you sure?

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2358780

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Toby wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: They still outperform a door or any other board by a huge margin regarding both low end and upwind ability and comfort in "not flat" water - because of the efficient tail and fins.
are you sure?

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2358780
Yes, I am quite sure.

But racing twintips can work at competitions, as they are slower upwind, but faster (easier to control) downwind, especially when windy - so it evens it out a bit more 8)

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”