jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: One year later - The Dream Job is over

Postby jkrug » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm

j-dogg. listen to the guys here who have years of experience. i'm an old fart myself, and the things i liked when i was back in college have changed dramatically over the years. a goal of working at REAL does not require college in the first place. maybe you can work there summers, which is cool, but as a goal, i don't think your folks want to pay college dough to see you become 'retail help'. your career, whatever that may be, will occupy a majority of your life, choose it wisely. sure, a few get lucky and hit it big doing something they love, but most of us know that's an extreme rarity. i'm not saying do something you hate, but for most of us, work is WORK, complemented by our fun times on the water.

and remember this: you will change over time, most of us do. diversity within one's life is a good thing, don't put all your eggs in the kiteboarding basket. i bet nick would agree with that now...

hairy BACK
Rare Poster
Local Beach: obx
Favorite Beaches: obx
Style: none
Gear: two line c
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hairy BACK » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 pm

COURT CASE OF:

REAL WORLD vs. REAL KITEBOARDING....

bring the gavel down....
dylan said it, everyone wants something
for nothing....

cape hatteras sux....stay away...

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:57 pm

tristonjah wrote:In my opinion the outerbanks has wind and that is it. The outerbanks is not that great of a tourist location. They might have places to stay but the banks dont have qualities for a good visit.
The banks lack
- an easy way to get there
- easy housing - hotels
- take it easy when you get there - not to many restraunts or grocery stores

Trust me I live in a tourist trap.
HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those are the three reasons that people love the outer banks!
- If it was real easy to get there, it would be f*cking packed.
- if there were a ton of hotels, it would be f*cking packed.
- if it was f*cking packed, there'd be a lot more pavenment to build all your grocery stores and a lot less sand. Oh, and all those people are going to be bring with them more rules, restrictions, and reasons to go find somewhere else to kite!!!

Just found this humorous. As someone who loves it down there, I'm very happy with the threads on here highlighting all the reasons not to go. Keeps the crowds down. ;)

Some people like kiting in tourist traps, though, and it is good that those places exist as well. The kiting is more restricted, but it does provide activities for people who aren't content chillin' on the beach when it isn't windy.

Now, we're getting off topic, Nick, back to you...

nickr1977
Frequent Poster

Postby nickr1977 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Priorities change, I can totally agree with that. I had originally left the city I grew up in to move to Hatteras cause I was tired of big city living. Plus, where I grew up was not the best place to live your life and think about the future. I did have a great job there, went to college there but came to a point in my life where I felt I needed to do something different. I found kiting, and was able to kite about an hour away from where I lived, but that was not enough for me. Just like everyone, I started to wonder if there was somewhere I could do the type of work I loved, and still kiteboard all the time. I found it in Hatteras and at Real. Before I moved there, I told myself that I would not stay more then 5 years, and I actually left about 6 months before that 5 years arrived.

As for the guy thinking about going to college to be able to get a job there, don't sell yourself short. There are people that work there now who have given up college to work and ride full time in the OBX. I can count 4 guys out of about 50 who actually have a future as a pro rider or working somewhere else in the watersports industry. The other people who are there are on a downward spiral because all that place does is suck the life out of you and you don't even realize it. The smart ones are the ones who know when the bullshit is fed to them but are still able to come out on top. My advice, go to a great college, find something to learn that will make you happy for the rest of your life. After that is over, take a few years off, and go travel the world and bring your kiting gear with you, I guarantee you will have a lot more fun doing that then going to work in the OBX. Then, you can get a good job, by the water somewhere and still kite but also be able to put money in the bank. 90% of the people that work at Real now, I can almost guarantee are not putting any money in the bank, but living paycheck to paycheck. That happened to me for 4 years before I finally made enough to have a very tiny nest egg.

Anyway, I am ranting. Just don't want to see anyone make the wrong decision like so many others who are there now.

As for the people wondering about my 5-10 year plan. With the company I am with now, it is definitely possible. I can guarantee that over the next 2-3 years a lot of you will be using the product that my company sells without even knowing it. Not because you are a kiteboarder, but because you work for someone who cares about your well being and health.

Now, I am going kiting, see you guys later! And yes, it is Friday, mid-day!

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's

Postby tristonjah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:53 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
- if it was f*cking packed, there'd be a lot more pavenment to build all your grocery stores and a lot less sand. Oh, and all those people are going to be bring with them more rules, restrictions, and reasons to go find somewhere else to kite!!!

Just found this humorous. As someone who loves it down there, I'm very happy with the threads on here highlighting all the reasons not to go. Keeps the crowds down. ;)

Some people like kiting in tourist traps, though, and it is good that those places exist as well. The kiting is more restricted, but it does provide activities for people who aren't content chillin' on the beach when it isn't windy.

The other major point I forgot was no nightlife.

In rebuttal, OBX is packed with Kooks.
I was suprised at all the dumb sh*t I saw in the few days I was there. To deal with the high concentration of kooks and no convenience or nightlife causes me to drive right past the OBX.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 pm

tristonjah wrote:
CaptainArgh wrote:

The other major point I forgot was no nightlife.

In rebuttal, OBX is packed with Kooks.
I was suprised at all the dumb sh*t I saw in the few days I was there. To deal with the high concentration of kooks and no convenience or nightlife causes me to drive right past the OBX.
Yep! And Florida has no kooks? This coming from a dingleberry such as yourself.

Hatteras is awesome and if it had all the shit you say it doesn't have, most wouldn't want to go there. It's quiet and easy to ride in any wind direction or condition. The waves and flat water spots are second to none on the east coast.

Nick, What's up my brutha? Hope you find what your looking for in your new home and hope to be able to ride and hang with you again someday. If you are ever back in the keys, give a holla!!

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's

Postby tristonjah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Florida has plenty of kooks too and you have some animosity because you misread an old post. I said not everyone likes to dangle in waves...... meaning some poeple wouldnt like delray with no flatwater spots. Sure hatty is a decent place to ride good for nick he was able to make it out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”