Forum for kitesurfers
twah
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I just found a fast way to put a leading edge bladder in

Postby twah » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

kiteingcolin1 wrote:well I for one hope to never ever have to remember this great method, ever,
fingers crossed
touch wood
rabbits foot in pocket
lucky charm around neck
:bye:
yeah you're fucked now buddy.

kite long enough and you're going to have to change a bladder. even if you buy new kites (like ones that have epic bladder problems)

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm

twah wrote:
kiteingcolin1 wrote:well I for one hope to never ever have to remember this great method, ever,
fingers crossed
touch wood
rabbits foot in pocket
lucky charm around neck
:bye:
yeah you're fucked now buddy.

kite long enough and you're going to have to change a bladder. even if you buy new kites (like ones that have epic bladder problems)
in 11 years I have had to pull out the big one around 10 times, the last one around 12 months ago,
and I think thats it for ever more, touch more wood,

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 am

Laughingman wrote:I actually attempted this method this weekend... I ended up with 4 twists by the valves which means they were turned around, I righted them and I must have inserted them incorrectly.Pulled it all out and re did the whole thing the way I usually do with a string and an helper and every valve was facing where it should be and absolutely no twists... what am I missing here?

Hey Laughingman,

How did you position the bladder before trying it? I stacked the bladder in a one foot waffle shape(notice the picture), set it next to the opening in the middle, worked one side in and then did the other.

If you have plenty of room and extra hands use them. If you are stuck in tight quarters and no help it is just an option. The broom stick is another good one. I would of used that if I new about it.

Clew In

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:08 am

Instead of a broom stick I use a 12ft painters extension pole, so, I do not need to bunch up the LE as much. I draw a straight line down the length of the pole for a reference point, so, I am less likely to twist the pole by accident

If you are using a string you don’t need a lot of space and you can do it by yourself. You just feed the bladder into the kite at the same time you are pulling on the string if you use a pulley tied off on a stationary object(Wall, door knob, fence....) the end of the LE. You just run the string out the end of the LE, through the pulley back to you at the center of the LE. Just pull in the string while you are making sure the LE goes in straight.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:32 am

Yes i stack it same... But do you set it up with the valves up or down?
i typically set with the valves up, and flip the leading edge over to match, I didn't this time, i did it with valves down and let the leading edge fold over (valve openings down) to match. That could have been my mistake but it did make sense to me at the time....
Clew In wrote:
Laughingman wrote:I actually attempted this method this weekend... I ended up with 4 twists by the valves which means they were turned around, I righted them and I must have inserted them incorrectly.Pulled it all out and re did the whole thing the way I usually do with a string and an helper and every valve was facing where it should be and absolutely no twists... what am I missing here?

Hey Laughingman,

How did you position the bladder before trying it? I stacked the bladder in a one foot waffle shape(notice the picture), set it next to the opening in the middle, worked one side in and then did the other.

If you have plenty of room and extra hands use them. If you are stuck in tight quarters and no help it is just an option. The broom stick is another good one. I would of used that if I new about it.

Clew In
Clew In wrote:

Hey Laughingman,

Clew In

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Hey Laughingman,

Whichever way the bladder is flattened out and the valves match up is the way. When you pass the cardboard through, as long as you do not turn it over, there is no way the bladder will twist. Same thing with the stick.

When you pull with string you do not know for certain there is not a twist until you pump it up.

Clew In

riennn
Rare Poster
Gear: OR and Takoon
Been thanked: 0

Postby riennn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Awesome Clew !
it worked like a charm and indeed, no twist or problems like with lines...
thanks !!!!!!!! :D

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Just finished replacing way too many bladders. My tried and true method using a broomstick failed me and ended up twisting the leading edge multiple times. Frustrated, I tried this cardboard trick and I'm sold. Takes a little longer to thread through than the broom, but dead flat and straight bladder even on the delta kites which have a slight bend/twist to the LE.

Thanks Clew!

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:53 am

K3rM1t wrote:Just finished replacing way too many bladders. My tried and true method using a broomstick failed me and ended up twisting the leading edge multiple times. Frustrated, I tried this cardboard trick and I'm sold. Takes a little longer to thread through than the broom, but dead flat and straight bladder even on the delta kites which have a slight bend/twist to the LE.

Thanks Clew!
You are probably twisting the broom handle when you are pulling it through. Draw a straight line on the length of the handle as a reference, so, you don't twist the broom handle/bladder accidentally

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 am

Great fricking idea. Nothing worse than getting to the end and not sure if its straight. My vote for thread of the year.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”