Forum for kitesurfers
littlekitegirl
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: united airlines(Maui) charged $175 for legal size/weight bag

Postby littlekitegirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:07 pm

ryuu wrote:A bag with a kiteboard and a couple kites is huge and way over the size limit anyone can look at it and tell. Kiteboard bags are much larger then any true golf bag so if your going to be traveling with it on a US based airline be prepared to pay.
I travel with a true golf bag that I bought at Costco two years ago. I fit one board, and 2-3 kites in it, plus a harness & some small stuff. But, my board is only a 126 and my kite sizes are 4, 6 & 8m! So I guess I'm fortunate to have such small gear.

We have yet to be dinged for our stuff & we always weigh every bag to make sure its under 50lbs. Even if more rental boards were available at kiting destinations - people could still easily travel with their kites...

The whole thing upsets me though, what does it matter whats IN the bag ( I've been asked many times). I often answer snowboard (when I had a snowboard bag) - even on my way to Costa Rica :) or golf clubs etc. It seems unfair, the rules should be the same for all sports! Maybe we should start firing off letters to airlines.

That being said, we got dinged on Alaska for our skis heading to Utah last February. Between 3 of us - $150 for a 20min filght.

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Fly Qantas where-ever possible if you are a surfer/kiter.
I just flew New Zealand to Venezuela with 6 surfboards in 2 bags and a kite (and bunch of other luggage) and didn't pay a cent. you are allowed 2 bags person. I said i had one extra and the guy says thats no worries mate!
Dude at the counter at Qantas in NZ just checked them through all the way to Caracas.
No damage to any boards, service on the plane was wicked and free bundy rum all the way.
Last time i did this flight American airlines charged me for breaking my boards on the way.

Another thing i learned on this trip ..... if you can stay the hell away from US airports, what a fucking nightmare. next time we go via chile or something. missed a flight in LA waiting for luggage for over an hour and nearly another after more than 3 hours to check in.

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 pm

ryuu wrote:
Safe_Cracker wrote:At least American treats most equal ! if you look they charge the same for a kiteboard as they do a snowboard and if it falls under the dimensions it is just the baggage charge...

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/ ... owance.jsp

You need to back and re-read the American bagage policy - they charge $100 for a wakeboard and 1 snowboard is free. Very few if any wakeboards fall under the dimension limits.
Then what we need to do is make our boards look like snowboards....Maybe if we remove the fins, pads/straps and use a snowboard bag, just maybe it might work.. My wife works for American and she says there is a few ways around it maybe say it is art.?

Polo.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:58 am

RichardM wrote:Most airlines allow 1 free snowboard.

Check their policy. If they do allow 1, take your fins off. How can they prove you don't use it as snowboard for snowkiting?

Otherwise, mailing it is probably the way to go.

Don't think they're gonna believe snowkiting in Maui :lol:

jteabird
Frequent Poster

Postby jteabird » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 am

the dude made me open op my bag and looked under my kites until he found a board and then said that will be $175 for the board...

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:28 am

Certainly seems to make sense to rent a board at your destination. Let's see.... $175 each way is $300 USD. Figure that renting a board would, hopefully, cost no more than $35 a day. You'd have to kite more than 8 days to make it worthwhile to bring your own board. Put your kite and stuff in a regular suit case, and rent a board. Makes sense. You also save on the money from not having to buy a kite travel golf bag. Probably best to arrange for the rental in advance...... other folks might be reading this post and making their rental reservations ahead of you....

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:16 am

I checked out renting a board on Maui but it was much more for the 2 to 3 weeks we were going to be there. Another potential cost would be loss or damage to the rental board resulting in even higher cost for a shorter trip.

I also checked with different shipping options and all the overnight shippers were really high so U.S. Postal had the best price. Finding a good shipping box was probably the hardest part. I used a wakeboard box (larger than needed) going out and it cost more than the kiteboard shipping box (smaller and correct size) I used coming back, but it was still very reasonable and took away all the tension and hassle trying to get it through the airports.

I hate the airline's policies which are difficult to understand and can change at any time.

jteabird
Frequent Poster

Postby jteabird » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 am

i go all over the country kiting and have only had trouble with the MAUI location... Hope somebody from united tells the MAUI location to take a chill...

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 am

I have flown on United every time I have gone to Maui.

I will never use United again after they ripped me off.

Next trip will be with Delta.

Any stories like above from Delta.

Leaving Maui is the only place I have been questioned/ charged,
when using my, under the weight limit, golf bag.

I even canceled my United Credit card today, I know that is Visa more than United, but f*** United.

-Marty

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:15 am

C'mon guys, we need a song to put on YouTube

Return to “Kitesurfing”