Forum for kitesurfers
mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Re: wave sailing vs. kitesurfing

Postby mikelet » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Opossite as with a kite It's not for everyone just only going out trhough a huge shorebreak with a windsurf.......
Also IMHO what's the deal with always pimped Ben Wilson surfkiting videos.Personally don't like nothing his style.There are way better and stylish pro-riders outthere :roll:
In Kiting sometimes conditions (spot,wind direction,swell) can just make a rider look more stylish than his own skills.Saw a good example on a video posted here sometime ago about a Sylt wave contest,riders (incluided Mitu) where fighting against onshore winds and mushyburgers to make just one decent turn....

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pbmaniac27 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 am

yeh thats part the reason i ended up making the thread. you hear so much about ben wilson but i really didnt see much to impress me in the vid.

for the record I am not trying to say windsurfing is better, i dont windsurf and dont plan on starting.

sorry if the thread has been covered i just thought it would be an interesting debate.

I feel like you guys are def right in that kitesurfing in waves is more fun for mere mortals, but I think comparing the top level guys is interesting.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:57 am

Style is something very hard to find (girls, waveriding, cars...).

Kitesurfing videos posted here are not as matured as the windsurf one (that last one is simply fabulous!).

Another thing is that some kiters (like Ben Wilson) are riding strapless. It increases the difficulty factor when riding big waves, specially in aerials and floaters by a large factor! It is a dificulty increase that requires more feeling but in most cases affects style and limits our sport potential, specially in powerfull or extreme manouvers.

In the Mitou video, he is riding powerfull sea in side-to-off-shore conditions. He is definitly fighting the kite to stay at the wave, but look at that wave face quality!! Even so, there are better videos of him riding even in that spot (Punta Preta if not mistaken).

My point is that i bet that with time, we will have unbeatable kite wave surfing videos because of the potential and flexibility that kitesurf has in terms of freedom when compared to the existing wave riding sports.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:32 am

yeh i agree that the maturity of the two sports is something that should be considered when comparing them

waveknave
Frequent Poster

Postby waveknave » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:35 am

how about comparing some freestyle as well.
heres a pretty decent windsurfing one to start...

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:32 am

Good footage. Makes me think about windsurfing again. Inspiring.
:thumb:

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:27 am

always thought bigger boards like windsurfers make things look smooother on the wave imo.so maybe in time bigger boards ,slower flying ,faster turning, drifterer kites etc.... but that windsurfing video is something else , years of progression ! each to their own at the end of the day.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:08 pm

waveknave wrote:how about comparing some freestyle as well.
Man that's some insane footage, can't keep up with all the new tricks people are inventing!! :o

Might as well include a little speed footage while we're at it!! :thumb:

peligro18
Medium Poster
Local Beach: i just bought it!

Postby peligro18 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:37 pm

leepasty wrote:Please remind all newbies kiters that go into waves about rules and wave etequite.
you are right taht it takes years to be able to wave sail when its big where as a kiter can just go out drop in and ruin it for everyone. please educate all newbie wave kiters to avoid any conflict as you cannot just go out and ride any wave you want!!!
And if you find it easy to kite big waves? LOSE THE STRAPS :bye:
YEAH!!!!!
mikelet wrote:Opossite as with a kite It's not for everyone just only going out trhough a huge shorebreak with a windsurf.......
Also IMHO what's the deal with always pimped Ben Wilson surfkiting videos.Personally don't like nothing his style.There are way better and stylish pro-riders outthere :roll:
In Kiting sometimes conditions (spot,wind direction,swell) can just make a rider look more stylish than his own skills.Saw a good example on a video posted here sometime ago about a Sylt wave contest,riders (incluided Mitu) where fighting against onshore winds and mushyburgers to make just one decent turn....

yeah...i dot like ben wilson either...i mean...he es better than 95% of the riders but...look at the style of this guy

and this one

kitehok
Medium Poster
Local Beach: TO

Postby kitehok » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:01 pm

waveknave wrote:how about comparing some freestyle as well.
Modern freestyle windsurfing is probably even more difficult than good wave sailing. It takes years and years of practise. Also not for mortals. Another reason why our community has so many x-windsurfers, we all plateaued.

Return to “Kitesurfing”