Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Forum for kitesurfers
frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 am

El Rudo wrote:In general, be careful with heat around Dyneema/Spectra lines. Anything over 150°C can degrade the strength of the line drastically.
Just curious how you found that out.

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 am

When I was born, I was born with almighty knowledge.

five
Medium Poster

Postby five » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:45 am

tomatkins wrote: Wow! You should be a politician.

I don't mind being "talked down to"... as long as I get some information that I can use to understand the issue. Instead of sending me on a "wild goose chase" on related forum threads, how about posting a link where, at least I can see a diagram or picture of the new bar...showing where the leash attaches and where the handle is located,

Your empty assurances of safety and lack of detail in your answers only confuses me...and seems very unlike the OR responses I am used to viewing on this forum in the past.

If you want to keep the workings of the new bar a secret, just say so and I can understand that, and will quit asking technical questions...but if you want people, like me, to be able to evaluate and accept such a new concept in bar design, then at least give us a full picture of the bar and line system. That would be a start, at least.
Sorry if my response was condescending..I didn't mean it to be. I don't speak for OR...just have used their equipment for years and am familiar with how it works.

Also, I guess I just get frustrated when threads get "hijacked" by misinformation when the information is readily attainable and/or what I assume is common knowledge. Next time I will post some links to other threads and/or the equipment website. Hopefully Evan's response and the OR webpage made things a bit more clear. Best idea of course is to see or try the gear yourself :thumb:

David

El Rudo
Frequent Poster

Postby El Rudo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:12 am

For thos who want to see a good explanation of how the leashing off the centerline works, check last years interview from kiteboardermag with John Z on the 2.0 SLE bar. At around 8:00 he starts about the bar and 8:20 he shows what happens when the safety is ejected, leashed off the trim line ring.

As stated before, this is a very effective and clean way to kill enough power from the kite, with the huge advantage that you can ride on, it's easy to put the CL back together even in deep water.

El Rudo
Frequent Poster

Postby El Rudo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:03 am

DrLightWind wrote:
FredBGG wrote: especailly if the bar uses a clam cleat.... they chew up your line pretty quickly.
Fred is right :thumb:
The OR bar is a refined version of the Liquid Force Havoc Bar
with a difference of the clam cleat placed on the side of the CL.
Mechanically the OR works in the same principle but with a better look for the eyes.

The bar itself is good I agree with all the comments,
but with the only disadvantage after about 30 hrs use the CL line started fraying.
See below pic.

DrLW
Thanks. That's a completely different cleat. And bar. And what else.
Come on guys on topic please.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

just thought i'd share my experience with a similar bar. i have the original 2007 version of this bar, which i modded to leash to the depower line like the '08, '09 and the upcoming '10 models. I would describe my bar as a pretty unrefined version of the new bar, but conceptually it is exactly the same. I've got several hundred session on this bar and have never changed the depower line - because it just isn't showing much wear. It has held up remarkably well with the cleat system that OR uses.

Also, I've used this bar with three different brands of bridaled SLE kites and have found with each one that releasing to the leash effectively kills the power in the kite. It doesn't take away 100% of the power like flagging to a front line might, but i'd say it removes 90%+ of the power, causing it to fall out of the sky and land on it's back on the water/snow, at which point there just isn't any pull. I suppose there could be a situation where having the leash attached to a front line would be preferable, but i don't think it would be worth the added complexity necessary for such a system.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:57 pm

Evan,

The bar looks great and has everything I want in a bar.

The only question is why no "Oh-shits" on the back lines? I find these handy in some situations like reverse launching in light winds, etc.

Thx,

Ed

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:57 pm

El Rudo wrote:For thos who want to see a good explanation of how the leashing off the centerline works, check last years interview from kiteboardermag with John Z on the 2.0 SLE bar. At around 8:00 he starts about the bar and 8:20 he shows what happens when the safety is ejected, leashed off the trim line ring.

As stated before, this is a very effective and clean way to kill enough power from the kite, with the huge advantage that you can ride on, it's easy to put the CL back together even in deep water.
So when I'm kiting in deep water and deploy the QR the kite will drop out of the sky and land nicely on it's back with with little or no pull? Is that what you're saying? Or is it going to land nose down and drag me down wind hard?

What are the chances of the bar fetching up on the stopper or just jamming up?

McKite
Medium Poster

Postby McKite » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 pm

There has been a steady improvement in the OR Bar and lines system each year I have been on the gear. The safety system is essentially unchanged from the '09 bar - full trim line length de-power with ability to flag on a single front line if needed. I have had far fewer kitemares and line tangles since they switched from a front line to leashing to the trim. You get more than enough depower to be safe with the current system and when you are ready to sort yourself out the kite is ready too - no spiraling mess of tangled lines to sort out.

I am really stoked for this bar...I think Evan & Co. have done a great job listening to feed back from the customers, the adjustable size is a great concept and the whole set up just looks more refined.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:38 pm

ed257 wrote:Evan,

The bar looks great and has everything I want in a bar.

The only question is why no "Oh-shits" on the back lines? I find these handy in some situations like reverse launching in light winds, etc.

Thx,

Ed
Thanks Ed, we're glad you're stoked!

We don't put " oh shits " on the rear lines because in general SLE's do not flag out safely and effectively off the rear lines, and we do not encourage using them. If you do need to flag the kite the front line handle is the way to go.

Cheers,

Evan

Return to “Kitesurfing”