Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Postby L0KI » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:35 am

I like the kite bridle idea (change) a lot, Ross came up with a good idea there.
It makes sense to have both front lines roll to the center of the leading edge, it still keeps things simple.
A single line release on a front or a back line can spin which makes a mess if nothing else.
Not sure I understand yet why the need to change the lines/leaders on the bar though, I will probably need to see to understand.
As usual, Ocean Rodeo moves forward and improves things without screwing up what has worked well in the past.
Nice job. :thumb:

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Been thanked: 0

Postby EvanOR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 am

brunoperez wrote:On the video we cannot see the mini 5th line that passes through the bar?
The video shows very light wind conditions so it makes sense, but what happen during a very high gust?
Will the kite be holding on 1 line?
I am trying to understand what is the new setup, pictures would help a lot.
Thanks
The Mini 5th is on the Freestyle bar with above the bar trim. The Freeride bar with below the bar trim is the one shown in the video. When safetied, the effect on the kite is the same with either bar.
It works the same regardless of how windy it is - the mechanics don't change with the wind speed.

As I explained and is shown in the video, the kite flags off the two front lines and is fully depowered. It is the same as if you were standing on the beach holding the kite upside down into the wind.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Noo Noo wrote:The 2010 or SLE 3.0 bar does have a safety leash connection below the bar. Its a small ring that passes through the Chicken loop set up, leaving everything above the bar extremely clean and uncluttered. They also have the OS handle on one front line if you want to flag the kite out.
Just so you're clear about how this works in a real world situation (without the new OR kite mod)...

Using that below-the-bar safety does no more to depower your kite than simply letting go of the bar. The only thing it offers is that it overrides your sliding stopper if it is engaged. Once you have ejected the bar, those front line OS handles you mentioned are totally out of reach. Not a true emergency release as offered on other bars.

The new kite mod solves this issue, but with extra pulleys, etc and does not help riders that simply want to use the OR bar with other kites. Since people do sometimes recommend the OR bar for use with other kites, it's important for riders to understand that it does not offer immediate full depower in an emergency unless you have a long leash running under the bar all the way to the center OS handles (which is then messy and does not allow bar spins).

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:12 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
Noo Noo wrote:The 2010 or SLE 3.0 bar does have a safety leash connection below the bar. Its a small ring that passes through the Chicken loop set up, leaving everything above the bar extremely clean and uncluttered. They also have the OS handle on one front line if you want to flag the kite out.
Just so you're clear about how this works in a real world situation (without the new OR kite mod)...

Using that below-the-bar safety does no more to depower your kite than simply letting go of the bar. The only thing it offers is that it overrides your sliding stopper if it is engaged. Once you have ejected the bar, those front line OS handles you mentioned are totally out of reach. Not a true emergency release as offered on other bars.

The new kite mod solves this issue, but with extra pulleys, etc and does not help riders that simply want to use the OR bar with other kites. Since people do sometimes recommend the OR bar for use with other kites, it's important for riders to understand that it does not offer immediate full depower in an emergency unless you have a long leash running under the bar all the way to the center OS handles (which is then messy and does not allow bar spins).
True, but then again not really because OR now offers an above the bar trim version with mini 5th to attach your leash to.
Having been on OR Rise for three years now, I personally feel the new 2011 mega depower (OR should come up with a name here, anyone has thoughts?) is a leap forward in kite safety.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:44 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:

Sorry Zack but to be blunt I've no interest in going back and discussing the older set up and it's application on other brands of kites - we've done that at length with you, and while your points were well taken, we know have two new 2011 bars which provide safe, simple, reliable, maximum depower when used with our Rise and Razor kites. While we appreciate that some customers prefer our bars to those supplied with other brands of kites, as a company it's not realistic to design for every feasible scenario.

Bar - there is no extra complexity here. All that has changed are some leader/trim line lengths. No added parts. :thumb:

Kite - there is on additional pulley on the kite bridle, which is inert when the kite is flying. It in no way affects flying performance or feel, as the angle of pull effectively locks it out as if it is not there. However, once the rider ejects at the bar, the angle of pull changes and the bridle does it's job to assist in providing full depower and to flag the kite onto it's back as shown in the video.

So, long story short - only one part is added to the mix to gain all of this cool stuff. And, if you don't like it, you can take it off and go back to the set up we've used successfully for the last few years. :thumb:

Zack, you really ought to give the Razor and Freestyle bar (the one we haven't shown you yet) a try - you'll be stoked.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Evan

Are you going to have a kit to retrofit the older kites: I have a 2009 8m Rise and a 2009 10m Rise

Thanks

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 pm

ORSales wrote:
All existing customers riding 2009 or 2010 Rise kites will have the option to upgrade their kite and their bar and line systems from those years to easily accommodate this change in design. Similarly, customers buying 2011 kites who wish to use bars from earlier years will easily be able to upgrade their existing bar set-up.

John Zimmerman, OR

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:11 pm

Evan, your patience should be applauded. :bravo: :clap: :mosh:

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:Evan, your patience should be applauded. :bravo: :clap: :mosh:
Thank you kind sir. Often I find I do my best forum work after several of these (keeps the blood from boiling I guess). :beer:

Cheers,

Evan

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 pm

What is funny to me is that after 9 months, the exact same commentary is coming around again!!!
Hey!...I've got an idea..buy an OR Kite and Bar combo and problem solved. The other option is to not go out in wind that you cannot safely ride in, we learned that lesson way back when we used to ride kites that did not sheet out for sh!t. There is no system that is gonna allow somebody to go out and get themselves stuck in a 50MPH squall. You get caught in a 50MPH wind and then come and bitch that OR should have built a better bar system?...really? And you would think that by now, the the kite manu of choice (Gonewiththewind) could have solved the problems with their own kites and bar/linesets, waiting for OR to solve their problems for them isn't really the answer. Go beat on them to make you the right stuff, page after page on their threads, and see how quick their fan base lose patience with that conversation. The Epic owner and fans will just beat the hell out of you for asking those kind of questions. I use a Slingshot bar and lineset with my Slingshot kite and it works specifically with that kite (2:1 bar set up), it has a single line release, does not work as well as my older 2008 OR bar and lineset did, and not even close to my newer OR rig. If Eclipse and Epic can't make a system that works for you, try an Ocean Rodeo system and life is good, and to help your resale value, it is likely that OR will be here and healthy in two years when you are ready to sell your used gear. I use my OR bar and lineset with my OR kites and they just work, simply and without failures. It was funny watching the thread where a few folks complained about the Rabbit kites bar and lineset design....their fan base told these guys to STFU and go away. I appreciate that OR has the patience to listen and keep working on making their system better, but I'm also glad that they have not changed things just to change them and made a $400 mess like the new SS bar and lineset. OK, I'm done ranting now :oops: :oops:

Return to “Kitesurfing”