Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Postby Feng » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:07 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:No, you need to really check out the Slingshot swivel. NOBODY else has anything like it. It isn't just big. It is the ONLY system that allows a below-the-bar leash connection to a front center line while still allowing unlimited spinning of the bar without twisting the front lines.
May be I do not understand the point but it looks to me that the Cab IDS system is doing exactly the same thing.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 pm

If you've ejected or pushed out the stopper and let go of the bar, 99% off the time there is more than enough depower to easily regain control of the kite. In those rare instances when you may wish to have more (or would like to self-rescue) you simply grab the single line flag out handle and that's all she wrote. When you are ready to ride again, just let go of the tab, grab the bar, and ride.

Proven simplest and functionality at its finest. :thumb:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Jbrook wrote:Nice bar clean good qr. But I think youre doing the exact type of hyping people hate on this website. Whole new level come on now, just show your shit and save the exaggerations for the womens magazines.
I disagree......we don't believe it's hype, and we stand behind our equipment with a 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. If you're not stoked, you get your money back.

And it does appear that people seem to enjoy the back and forth......isn't that what an open forum is for? :D

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:51 am

EvanOR wrote: In those rare instances when you may wish to have more (or would like to self-rescue) you simply grab the single line flag out handle and that's all she wrote. When you are ready to ride again, just let go of the tab, grab the bar, and ride.
Unless you pull in a foot or more of the depower line, many riders will not be able to reach the flag handle in the first place. Once you have grabbed the handle, your kite will not flag out because your other three lines are still connected to you. With your hand on the handle, you then need to eject both your chicken loop and your leash. Only then will your kite flag out. No? To suggest otherwise is extremely misleading. If I am missing something, please explain.

I actually love the OR bars. I bought one in 2007 because it was the simplest bar with the most features at that time. But I do think Slingshot skunked everybody this year with that new swivel. Hoping OR will eventually complete their bar with something similar.

As much as I loved my OR bar these last few years, there have been a few situations where I really wanted to flag the kite more quickly than the OR allows.

Also, replacing your depower line takes on a whole new significance when it becomes an extension of your leash as it is with the OR bar. Sure, you can tell people that they need to keep an eye on the fraying. But it's not really the smartest thing to attach yourself to a high-wear line on your kite when there are other options. I've broken depower lines on other kites before too, but it's only with the OR that I watched my kite drift away from me.

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:55 am

marcfrm wrote:May be I do not understand the point but it looks to me that the Cab IDS system is doing exactly the same thing.
I don't know enough about the IDS to comment, but since it's a system that only works with their kites, then it's not really relevant to the conversation. We're talking about bars here, not kite/bar combos. The OR bar works with any standard kite, as does the Slingshot.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 am

gonewiththewind wrote:
EvanOR wrote: In those rare instances when you may wish to have more (or would like to self-rescue) you simply grab the single line flag out handle and that's all she wrote. When you are ready to ride again, just let go of the tab, grab the bar, and ride.
Unless you pull in a foot or more of the depower line, many riders will not be able to reach the flag handle in the first place. Once you have grabbed the handle, your kite will not flag out because your other three lines are still connected to you. With your hand on the handle, you then need to eject both your chicken loop and your leash. Only then will your kite flag out. No? To suggest otherwise is extremely misleading. If I am missing something, please explain.

I actually love the OR bars. I bought one in 2007 because it was the simplest bar with the most features at that time. But I do think Slingshot skunked everybody this year with that new swivel. Hoping OR will eventually complete their bar with something similar.

As much as I loved my OR bar these last few years, there have been a few situations where I really wanted to flag the kite more quickly than the OR allows.

Also, replacing your depower line takes on a whole new significance when it becomes an extension of your leash as it is with the OR bar. Sure, you can tell people that they need to keep an eye on the fraying. But it's not really the smartest thing to attach yourself to a high-wear line on your kite when there are other options. I've broken depower lines on other kites before too, but it's only with the OR that I watched my kite drift away from me.
In response to your first question with regards to single line flagging, I am not saying this should be your first move. In most cases simply ejecting or letting go of the bar (assuming the stopper is all the way up or pushing through the tension adjustable stopper on the '09 and new bars) is going to give you all the depower you need. However, if you feel you need more or wish to self rescue, it is then very easy to go hand over hand (twice) up the center lines to reach the grab handle. You're pulling on the depower connection of a depowered kite. You can reel in on that one flag line as necessary, and once you get sorted out and under control, simple release it, pull in the bar, and launch the kite if you wish to.

With regards to " misleading comments ", this is forum and I am offering casual answers to general questions about the bar. This does not take the place of proper lessons or instruction on the use of our equipment or anyone's else's and should not be taken as such. :nono: For this reason, I'll abstain from further instructional comments and recommend you contact one of our Learn to Ride centers.

As for the maintenance issue and becoming detached from your kite - again, it's very apparent when it's time to change the trim line, and with our bar this is cheap, quick and easy for everyone to do. Further, there are many sports and activities in which simple, routine maintenance of your equipment is part of the game, and kiteboarding is no exception. I could spend all night writing a list, but mountain climbing, sailing, and skydiving are a few that quickly come to mind. Don't maintain your gear, and you're going to suffer the consequences. I'm glad for the both of us that it was just your kite bar and not a parachute that you neglected. :D

In the end, the most important thing is to be knowledgeable about and comfortable with your equipment, and take care of it properly, regardless of the sport or who makes it. :thumb: Personally, I prefer simplicity, reliability and predicable peformance, and would not be comfortable using many of the more complex bar set ups on the market. To each his/her own. :D

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:55 am

gonewiththewind wrote:

I would like to know more about the exact procedure for throwing the kite to a single line, in preparation for a self-rescue situation. I assume that one would not be safe in attempting a deepwater self-rescue using the IKO method of winding the lines up on the bar in order to gain access to the kite, if one was not able to throw the kite to a single line. Is that correct?

Gonewiththewind mentions that the safety leash would have to be disconnected, and this makes sense to me, since, If one were to simply grab the single front line "OH Sh--" handle, then the kite would be able to shoot out only the length of the safety leash, before it would be stopped by the still attached safety leash. This would mean that the single line that would be holding the kite, would only allow the other three lines to be partially slackened...not fully slackened. Wouldn't that cause the kite to loop...until the safety leash was released from the riders body?

Evan mentions nothing about releasing the safety release in order to do a self-rescue.

I assume that the safety leash is to be connected in the manner commonly referred to as "suicide", where the safety leash runs from the rider's body to an attachment somewhere on the body of the chicken loop. Is my understanding correct?

I have more questions about this new safety system, but I need the above questions clarified, first.

A more complete drawing, or picture, showing the area above the power line adjuster would help a lot, also.

Thanks

five
Medium Poster

Postby five » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:55 am

tomatkins wrote:
I would like to know more about the exact procedure for throwing the kite to a single line, in preparation for a self-rescue situation. I assume that one would not be safe in attempting a deepwater self-rescue using the IKO method of winding the lines up on the bar in order to gain access to the kite, if one was not able to throw the kite to a single line. Is that correct?
No. Firstoff, this is the third generation of these bars and any possible safety issues have been addressed.

Unfortunately you don't have a good grasp of the bar and its safety system. If the leash is attached to the trim line, pulling the emergency sheets the kite all the way out and depowers it. With the kite this much depowered, you can easily grab a line and begin to wrap it around the bar. I and many others have done this numerous times. As said before, in the very rare case that there is still a problem, you can grab the little handle attached to the center line and then the kite completely flags out.
tomatkins wrote: Gonewiththewind mentions that the safety leash would have to be disconnected, and this makes sense to me, since, If one were to simply grab the single front line "OH Sh--" handle, then the kite would be able to shoot out only the length of the safety leash, before it would be stopped by the still attached safety leash. This would mean that the single line that would be holding the kite, would only allow the other three lines to be partially slackened...not fully slackened. Wouldn't that cause the kite to loop...until the safety leash was released from the riders body?
Grabbing the handle completely depowers the kite and it flags out.
tomatkins wrote: Evan mentions nothing about releasing the safety release in order to do a self-rescue.

I assume that the safety leash is to be connected in the manner commonly referred to as "suicide", where the safety leash runs from the rider's body to an attachment somewhere on the body of the chicken loop. Is my understanding correct?

I have more questions about this new safety system, but I need the above questions clarified, first.

A more complete drawing, or picture, showing the area above the power line adjuster would help a lot, also.

Thanks
This is not at all a suicide leash. Remember if you are that worried about the release you can always connect the leash to the front line. If you want to spin then you will use the attachment on the trim line and can handle a kite that depowers when released.

I suggest you search this forum or the OR forum for more discussion on this...and lets save this thread for the new bar. All these issues have been addressed and more in previous posts.

sean123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cross, ireland,achill
Favorite Beaches: Cross,Ireland
Style: newbie style
Gear: or rise 09 10m and 08 6m

Postby sean123 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:28 am

pullin the quick release makes the two front lines at least 3m longer than the back lines, resultin with the kite turning upside down and losin all/most its power.the back lines are now to slack to have any affect in steerin the kite so you can wrap up your lines without it kiteloopin or whatever,

What is people's problem anyway?Just cause it dosent hang of one line doesn't mean it won't work?!!!!!!!!!!!

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 am

I believe the Diablo version of this bar will have a spinning suicide leash attachment point above the chicken loop. I guess that will be made available for mounting to the SLE version for those who want to do unhooked stuff with the 2010 Rise Venturi XPD - which, from what I heard, has prety good unhooked performance.

Return to “Kitesurfing”