Favorite Beaches: ocean beach
Style: waves, waves
Gear: naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elbow pain, tips anybody?

Postby doctorwind » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:45 am

I had this problem for a year and a half. It was debilitating both on and off the water and it was caused by kiting. The pain was sharp and strong and wouldn't go away with ice, heat, rest. I saw a therapist and they said that it was in effect a really bad case of tennis elbow.

They directed me to exercises with a $15 rubber device called "Thera- Band Flexbar". The thing works miracles for tennis elbow and does the trick for kiter-elbow too. Here is the link on Amazon - get it, it will save your kiting. I lost many days before I started using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thera-Band-Flexba ... B00066D6K4

kitermike
Rare Poster

Postby kitermike » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:22 am

A link that goes with the "Thera-Band Flexbar" is:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/2 ... -elbow/?em

russky
Medium Poster
Gear: North vegas

Postby russky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:19 pm

doctorwind wrote:I had this problem for a year and a half. It was debilitating both on and off the water and it was caused by kiting. The pain was sharp and strong and wouldn't go away with ice, heat, rest. I saw a therapist and they said that it was in effect a really bad case of tennis elbow.

They directed me to exercises with a $15 rubber device called "Thera- Band Flexbar". The thing works miracles for tennis elbow and does the trick for kiter-elbow too. Here is the link on Amazon - get it, it will save your kiting. I lost many days before I started using this:

I heard that gyro-based devices are the best, but the trouble was - if you have the pain, you can't start on exercises. Waiting a few weeks for the pain to go away is impossible if its blowing outside. So for me the elbow support did it for now, I can kite w/o pain now and I'll start on the exercises in a couple of weeks.

doctorwind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: half moon bay, ca
Favorite Beaches: ocean beach
Style: waves, waves

Postby doctorwind » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 am

russky wrote: I heard that gyro-based devices are the best, but the trouble was - if you have the pain, you can't start on exercises. Waiting a few weeks for the pain to go away is impossible if its blowing outside. So for me the elbow support did it for now, I can kite w/o pain now and I'll start on the exercises in a couple of weeks.
Try the rubber thera-band, you can do the simple exercises (shown in the blog post above) even when you have the pain. It doesn't hurt like it does when you kite. You may find your results differ, but I was able to kite without pain after less than a month - and the best thing is - it has been 2+ years and it hasn't returned at all. I know it may not be the same for everyone, but for $15 bucks it is worth a try. Good luck. :smile:
DW

procon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: madrid
Favorite Beaches: moulay
Style: waveriding

Postby procon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52 pm

did any body try the treatment with both elbows at the same time? at flexbar they say one should do only one.....till the pain is gone and then start with the other, that means double time in my case...any help would be apreciated.

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 pm

sounds like repetative strain. mall muscles in and around the bone are worked and it squeeses your joint, tennis elbow basically. you need to work the opposing muscles-bands work well but will cost a lot of money to se the doctor etc etc in the usa. just do press-ups same difference and more useful for fighting.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I had the same 5 6 years ago it lasted about 6 months ,you can do nothing ,I was kiting mostly with arms,then changed to legs and abdominal effort,do not go one arm next months,do not worry it will finish.I could not also work for few months but now kite and work no problem

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 pm

doctorwind wrote:I had this problem for a year and a half. It was debilitating both on and off the water and it was caused by kiting. The pain was sharp and strong and wouldn't go away with ice, heat, rest. I saw a therapist and they said that it was in effect a really bad case of tennis elbow.

Light, Medium or Heavy? Which one did the miracle for you? What's your weight?

Kraimer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: Freeride
Gear: 15m 04 Fuel, 13M Diesel, 9M Diesel

Postby Kraimer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:50 pm

I've started doing a pretty intense pushup routine and its done wonders for both of my ruined elbows.

I started doing 10 reps x 5 sets and worked up to 15 x 6 on 10 seconds rest in-between reps. 5 times a week. Push down through your palms and do this for 6 weeks adjusting reps / sets so you’re just about in muscle failure on the last rep of last set. Make sure you learn proper breathing technique. And obviously talk to your doctor or w/e you need to before you start any exercise regiment.

Pushups absolutely build muscle around the tendons that are affected by this crap. Worked for me anyway. Cheap and quick solution.

russky
Medium Poster
Gear: North vegas

Postby russky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm

:thumb:
also doing pushups now, but still using the elbow support, hopefully will not need it soon

Return to “Kitesurfing”