Forum for kitesurfers
andersne
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cab SB 2010, SS RPM or LF Envy?

Postby andersne » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm looking for a set of 2 new kites, but haven’t decided which one to go for. Been looking at the Cabrinha Switchblade 2010, Slingshot RPM (When will the 2010mod be available?) and the LF Envy. The kites will mostly be used for wakestyle, but also some freestyle. I’ll be using them both on snow and water.

Would like to know how the kites handle gust, how much depower does it have, how are the unhooked pop, build quality, wind range, and will it perform on different kinds of styles or just wakestyle?

Comparison between the kites is appreciated.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cab SB 2010, SS RPM or LF Envy?

Postby shymac » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:36 am

Can't do a comparison on all 3 kites but I can tell you the 2010 RPM will be out around the beginning of Spring.

I can tell you the RPM is a sick kite for the snow. Great unhook behaviors and overall very versatile for all the different types of conditions you will find up on the hill.

Last winter season I made a couple videos regarding the RPM in the snow. Check them out if you got some time.

RPM-Snowkite
http://www.vimeo.com/3753866

RPM- Relaunch "Snow"
http://www.vimeo.com/3366482

:cheers:
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (126.92 KiB) Viewed 698 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 698 times

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cab SB 2010, SS RPM or LF Envy?

Postby OzBungy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 am

Switchblades are extremely good kites with great bottom end and very good top end. I've had a 12 and 8m quiver for the past few years and I have been extremely happy with them.

I expect the other kites in your list are also very good and other people can tell you about them.

There are a couple of non-flying reasons to buy Cabrinhas.

The Sprint one-pump system is the best there is by a long way. It is very robust and very reliable.

The Cabrinha bar is far cleaner and more reliable than others. The depower and IDS safety lines are enclosed in a plastic tube so you have one, non-wearing, smooth plastic tube going through the bar. Not the 2-3 separate ropes going through the bar.

The IDS system is a constantly available and makes self-landing very easy and safe in any conditions. I still get a smile on my face when I neatly plop the kite down on the leading edge in very gnarly conditions.

The Cabrinha line swivel and the stopper system are not so good. They work but they're not outstanding. The trimmer is ok.

The current Slingshot line swivel is a very swish ball bearing thingy. It looks very effective but it's pretty big. The rest of the bar looks a tad agricultural.

Return to “Kitesurfing”