Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good light wind kite

Postby FredBGG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:00 pm

kingfisher wrote: I weight 150 lbs, and I ride a132 twin tip and a surfboard.
I ride mainly surfboards and have done some experiments on fin modifications to improve low end.

Check out my thread on Twisted Fins. I found that it livened up my boards, especially my fish that has pretty big fins.

Cheers

Fred

aTi
Rare Poster

Postby aTi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:59 am

Sebastian Bubmann wrote:To cut a long story short - I think it's obvious that there's no way to get on the water earlier than with a Speed 3.
I completely agree with you on this one: that's why I'm actually thinking for the first since (always had inflatables) I began kiteboarding to call my bank :lol: and buy this new S3 15 DL :jump:
I wasn't quite convinced with the S2 since it seemed more "tricky" to handle according to all of its owners, but pretty much all people who already tried a S3 seem to agree that it is sooo much stable, even going downwind or slacking off the lines, and also way faster on the steering that I'm now all eager to try it!

Having said that, is there any special setting, or triming to do, in order to get the most low end out of this kite, since here in France some users who had both S2 and now S3, while so happy about the evolution, seem to have some difficulties to get the same low-end as with their S2 (I'm speaking of winds around 7-8 knots maybe, otherwise no problem at all apparently)???

Thanks

Sebastian Bubmann
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle + all around
Gear: Flysurfer & Flyboards, Kitejunkie.com, Mystic, Scott, Perfect Style Motions
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer & Flyboards, Kitejunkie.com, Mystic, Scott and PSM -> Teamrider

Postby Sebastian Bubmann » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:22 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Sebastian Bubmann wrote: Before the Speed 3 came out I was always sceptic with the Speed 2 in the bigger sizes (15m + 19m) because for my taste they weren't fast enough and I didn't like the handling and the feeling on the bar too much compared to the Psycho 4.
Kingfisher... sorry if I hijack your thread a bit here..... don't see Sebastian on the forum often...

Sebastian....

Are you saying that the new Speed feels more like a Psycho 4?
That would be bloody great! When I saw th first photos it looked to me somewhat like a higher aspect ratio Psycho.
Hey Fred,

I just got my 15m and 19m SP3 Deluxe out of the bag yesterday and went to the next field to check them out. Only had some time to check out the 19m because the sun was setting and there was very, very little wind. I guess around 4 kts or so.

But I've got to say, the way this kite goes around the corners and feels on the bar, much more in the direction of Psycho 4. I mean, Armin & Andi designed the Speed 2, then the Psycho 4 and now the Speed 3. It would have been a shame if they wouldn't have been able to take some of the advantages from the Psycho 4 over to the Speed 3. :lol:
aTi wrote:
Sebastian Bubmann wrote:To cut a long story short - I think it's obvious that there's no way to get on the water earlier than with a Speed 3.
I completely agree with you on this one: that's why I'm actually thinking for the first since (always had inflatables) I began kiteboarding to call my bank :lol: and buy this new S3 15 DL :jump:
I wasn't quite convinced with the S2 since it seemed more "tricky" to handle according to all of its owners, but pretty much all people who already tried a S3 seem to agree that it is sooo much stable, even going downwind or slacking off the lines, and also way faster on the steering that I'm now all eager to try it!

Having said that, is there any special setting, or triming to do, in order to get the most low end out of this kite, since here in France some users who had both S2 and now S3, while so happy about the evolution, seem to have some difficulties to get the same low-end as with their S2 (I'm speaking of winds around 7-8 knots maybe, otherwise no problem at all apparently)???

Thanks
Sorry man ... as I said I just got them out of the bag so I didn't have a chance to trim them yet. But the way the kite felt I don't think that's even necessary.

Cheers
Sebastian

PaulMcD
Medium Poster

Postby PaulMcD » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:04 pm

I will add my two cents....I have a 14m Cabrinha Contra which I bought specifically for light wind. It is a terrific light wind kite with fairly heavy bar pressure given the bar pulleys. I am not a fan of heavy bar pressure in general and so fly it only on the lightest days when coupled with my surf board or Slingshot Glide board. With that set up, I am often the only guy riding while others sit on the beach. Best of all, a cheap one can probably be had on ebay.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:55 pm

Replaced my Contra3 14m with a 15m speed3 delux. Love the speed3. Got rid of the heavy bar pressure. It feels like a 12m it high wind when you crank in the depower. No pump to bring with so I can leave every thing I don't need to ride in the car. Goes up wind like a rocket. Supper stable. Put it in one spot and it stays. Good feel so you know where it is without looking. SLE users may want to adjust the bridle to heavy bar pressure. You can easily get to a non optimal over sheet in light wind. It won't stall out or stop flying it just won't be going through the window as fast. Good for when you are going down wind or want to flare for a landing. The one thing I would do to "set up" for light wind is pick up a 6M extension set. At 6-7knots of wind the 21M set is a bit small and I find I need a little longer pendulum. That said I'm not the most efficient kiteboarder and all my 6-7 knot rides where on to side on and I didn't feel like down looping.

ragden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Wildwood, NJ
Style: Snowkiting/Kitebuggy
Gear: Flysurfer Outlaw 8 & 12 meter
HQ Beamer III 5 meter
JoJo RS 3.5meter

Postby ragden » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:05 pm

I tried out my S3 15m DL this past Saturday (17 Oct 09) in the Outer Banks. Winds were right around 10mph, but I was able to cruise upwind with no problem. Was using a Spleene Monster door (164x50). I used to use an 11m TD2 with the same board, but the S3 was so much easier to use and a lot more fun. Nice floaty jumps, and I didnt feel like my hands were being ripped apart by the bar pressure. Very nice.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:13 pm

aTi wrote: Having said that, is there any special setting, or triming to do, in order to get the most low end out of this kite, since here in France some users who had both S2 and now S3, while so happy about the evolution, seem to have some difficulties to get the same low-end as with their S2 (I'm speaking of winds around 7-8 knots maybe, otherwise no problem at all apparently)???

Thanks
My guess is that no special setting is required for getting the best low end.

Two things to consider.
A big low wind kite needs a bit of time to bed in. That is for all the bridle link/knots etc to tighten up and for the new canopy to iron out stitching etc. Once this is done you reach optimal preformance.
You need to do at least one good agressive session in my opinion to get it all the way.
Better still a good sesion with a big guy like me(hint hint :wink: my Speed hasn't arrived yet).

Second thing to consider is that every kite is different. Riders that have been riding the Speed 2 19m are going to be riding the Speed 19m like it was a Speed 2. Especially at the low low end you need to get to know your kite more.

I also think that the tripple depower (variable projected aspect ratio thing) will take a bit more to get used to.

Cheers

Fred

Jnonny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid

Postby Jnonny » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:26 pm

Talking deal/price wise another option could be an ’08 RRD HT II 15M.. Lots of grunt, nice feedback/feel on the bar, and decent response for a larger kite.. also received a lot of buzz as being an awesome light wind kite..

Might be able to still find one new for super cheap and I just so happen to have one up on eBay at the moment if might be interested.. (Item# 280410689857)

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:04 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Sebastian Bubmann wrote: ..... don't see Sebastian on the forum often...
The reason being the wind is not often below 4 knots....
:P :cool2:

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:38 pm

I'm 150 myself and like to be on a 130's... a 14m SLE like a Rise 14 or 16 will go lower or a 17m Zephyr, but you can easily go from a 12 to a Speed 3 19m (Stays in the air on sub 6 knots lulls) with more low end and power... Oh and the Speed 3 is sort between a Speed 2 and Psycho 4 I find... real Sweet!...

Here is how I use it... at 150lbs... There is nothing that matches the low end so when kites getter bigger they have to be lighter for light winds and lulls...

Return to “Kitesurfing”