Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Martha's Vineyard Kiter Apology ?

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:38 pm

What's this all about?
Kiteboarder apologizes

To the Editor:

In response to the complaint regarding the recent kiteboarder and fishermen clash at Tashmoo, I would like to apologize on behalf of the greater kiteboarding community. Our sport and its participants have grown in recent years and with that growth more issues have arisen. Recently the sport of kiteboarding has been determined a sailing class by the International Sailing Federation. This recognition strengthens our sport but also requires that we follow the "Navigation Rules." The first priority of any kiteboarder on the water should be to maintain a safety zone away from other users and to give way to all other vessels, especially in a narrow channel. Although this seems like obvious etiquette, the potential for an incident remains in which someone may be negligent and the actions of one can affect us all.

Mark Begle
Skyhigh Kiteboarding
Vineyard Haven
From The Martha's Vineyard Times.

Just curious, sounds like something relatively minor that got blown out of proportions, but would still be interested in hearing the full story.

WAZP
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Martha's Vineyard Kiter Apology ?

Postby WAZP » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Martha's Vineyard is a sort of strict place in general, the summers gets crowded in some areas- not with kites but tourist traffic and people like to complain and make issues over relatively small problems. One kite spot is just off a very busy road. Probably someone made a big deal about a minor incident and to avoid a potential ban Mark made an apology to help ease any potential issues.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Here is the original posting that prompted the reply.... amazing what 5 mins of reading will find for you!
http://www.mvtimes.com/marthas-vineyard ... hp?page=10

Bottom of the page 10, continues on page 11

Sincerely

Pete

jaapd
Frequent Poster

Postby jaapd » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm

from the article:
[The kitesurfer] then started to cut right in front of us parallel to the jetty about 20 yards out, a mere flick of the wrist with a No. 1 Deadly Dick.
No idea what this means, I stay away from fisherman, too afraid of those hooks.

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:01 pm

My guess is both the fisherman and the kitesurfer were/are complete d1cks.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:15 pm

From the page 10 10/29 link above. Took this guy a long time to get to the point...I'm not exactly sure what it was. I'm guessing there is a beautiful slick on the lee side of that jetty. :)
A good slick is like a powder day....
...By this time five boats had showed up attempting to fish. The surfers now directed their attention to "buzzing" the boats within inches of their transoms and jumping clear over others. They had succeeded in stopping every fisherman from having any chance to catch a fish. I counted four fishermen, including boat fishermen, who are consistently on the Derby leader board. Their frustration was very apparent.

As I got too fed up with the situation, I headed back to my truck, weaving my way between at least seven other fishermen on the jetty standing with their "safeties on" so as not to accidentally fire a cast into the kite surfers. I observed a few fishermen exchanging words with one of the surfers on the beach. I also witnessed that surfer screaming at a fisherman in his face telling him to share the beach and saying that everyone here is being safe, so there is no problem. The fisherman said a few words which I could not hear, I'm assuming they must have been pretty good because it prompted the surfer to shove him. The fisherman retained his composure and drove away before anything else happened.

Now Mr. surfer bro, tell me this: How are the fishermen supposed to share the beach when they have no opportunity to use it in the first place? Is it safe to come within inches of boats and jump directly over them? Is it safe/legal to surf at high speeds through a navigational channel? Is it really safe to irritate more than 10 Derby fishermen with two-ounce hooked missiles on their rods? Even if you managed to get by the hooks, I'm sure the braid across the ankles wouldn't be very pleasant.

So Mr. surfer dudes, who wasn't sharing the beach? And who wasn't being safe? Finally, I ask you for an apology to all of the fishermen that day who were robbed of a chance at the almighty albie and to show respect to not only fishermen but everyone trying to enjoy our beautiful Island. You are not the only ones who live here and grew up here. Thank you.

Jared Stobie
Tisbury

pdkite
Frequent Poster
Style: balls to the wall. don't hold back
Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39

Postby pdkite » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 pm

i don't like being considered a "sailing vessel" fukin IKA BS

i'm a kiteboarder not a boat damnit. just don't be a dick and stay away from fishers. had similar problems with duck hunters before - so well hidden in the slicks and then you come along and they get all pissed off but you couldn't see 'em. so just give them space after. nbd....

and in my response to that dude who wrote the editor:
my navigation rules:
right foot forward, don't be a dumbass and if someone is to me, i'll call them out on that shit for sure, kiter or not.

why does this stuff always get hyped up so much??? lets physco anylize/critisize/pimp about this stuff cause we spend waaaay to much time on kiteforum.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Hard to believe this sort of thing happens in MASSachusetts :lol: :lol: :lol:

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:57 pm

BWD wrote:Hard to believe this sort of thing happens in MASSachusetts :lol: :lol: :lol:

from a state that has brought the world the likes of Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, John Kerry...what would you expect?! A neutron bomb would be perfect here...it would wipe out the moronic residents who vote in these losers, but wouldn't destroy the scenary. let me know when it's coming so i can arrange a trip out of town.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:34 pm

In fairness to the locals, part of the problem is that half or more of the "massholes" are actually transplants, part-timers, or tourists, especially on the islands....
Anyway, a little common sense would be in order to not kite right by the fisherman, when you have to whole sound in front of you...

Return to “Kitesurfing”