Gear: 09' Slingshot Fuel 11m
09' Slingshot Lunacy 132cm
08' Liquid Force Vantage Bindings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Suicide Leash Attachment

Postby volatile » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm

I see many of the pros attach their leash to a ring at the top of their chicken loop. Some of these attachments come standard on several 2010 bars. I think SS called something similar a "Clip n ride" shackle? Clipping directly to the Chicken Loop with my leash isn't working out. My leash has actually clipped around both my spreader bar and Chicken loop at the same time a few times...not safe and a pain in the ass when you are about to unhook.

I'm not a fan of the 09 SS bar that came with my Fuel. I bought a couple of the older lenten bars, which have the more simple chicken loop. Is there something after market I can attach to the top of the chicken loop with a ring I can clip my leash to? Clipping my leash around the CL, just above the chicken loop, doesn't seem like a good idea. Is there something I can get at a marine store that I can add to the bar?

Before any of the safety gurus go ape shit... I started riding 8 years ago on 2 line kites, and 4 line kite with pulley bars (murder-suicide leash) and I am well aware of what happens without the 100% depower system.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Suicide Leash Attachment

Postby flipper231 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 am

My north bar used to come with a piece of webbing with a ring attached to it, it could be attached to the CL, as you mentionned not the best if you ever need to release the CL but it could be attached above the CL also (above the iron heart in North's case). These things should be dirt cheap and easy to find... I just can't find mine I could send one to you, I lose those things since I do not use them.

volatile
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Crandon Park, Matheson Hammock
Favorite Beaches: Crandon
Style: Wake
Gear: 09' Slingshot Fuel 11m
09' Slingshot Lunacy 132cm
08' Liquid Force Vantage Bindings
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby volatile » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Solution from another forum...

FIX:
1. take pigtail off mates kite (preferably one of the ones he actually needs)
2. get small stainless ring (like the ones used on the flag out lines)
3. loop one end of the pig tail around your depower line right down the bottom next to the loop.
4. take the other end and loop the metal ring onto it.
5. clip your metal leash to the ring.

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:03 pm

yeah but thats designed to fail and you see your kite fly away the only safe way (for your kite) is to put it on the chicken loop line above releases, only try this if your good though but it never fails and a small leash clip never gets in the way.

BigAirNZ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoal bay
Favorite Beaches: Glendowie sandspit, Skakespeare bay
Style: Bit of everything
Gear: Fluid Kites, Blow kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: Run lesson and gear sales business with blow kiteboards and Fluid kites

Postby BigAirNZ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 pm

I dont see how thats designed to fail? Have seen quite a few round my way using the same or similar system and never seen their kites flying away. attaching the clip directly above your CL will damage your bar grip eventually

Return to “Kitesurfing”