Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Downwind Faster Than The Wind - update

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Downwind Faster Than The Wind - update

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 pm

spork wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm
Long lines won't solve the straight downwind problem. The problem is that, to go directly downwind faster than the wind, you have to make the wind work against the water in the downwind direction.
Thinking about this makes my head hurt and me a bit light headed.....
These users thanked the author Laughingman for the post:
SENDIT! (Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 pm

spork wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm
Long lines won't solve the straight downwind problem. The problem is that, to go directly downwind faster than the wind, you have to make the wind work against the water in the downwind direction.
:thumb:
It seems some still do not understand how your beautiful contraption worked. You never got the money from the guys that were betting with you right?

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:05 pm

>> You never got the money from the guys that were betting with you right?

Nope.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:18 pm

see this is just stupidity,
1 - never bet someone that they can't do something you think is impossible because there is always someone smarter then you
2 - always pay your debts when you make stupid mistakes, otherwise you are likely to make the same mistake again

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:18 pm
see this is just stupidity,
1 - never bet someone that they can't do something you think is impossible because there is always someone smarter then you
2 - always pay your debts when you make stupid mistakes, otherwise you are likely to make the same mistake again
haha yeah for sure. But I have to ay this is easily the best "get fucked" story of the Internet that I know of. I mean years of discussing theory, and idiots claiming, then Spork just goes out and builds a huge vehicle and proves them wrong. Initially, I did not quite get how it would work. Once I saw the model on the treadmill it was obvious, but still, people were complaining that Spork did some fake stuff. Weird really to live in a world where the first option is to claim "fake" and the implication of that is some big conspiracy that is harder to pull off than reality.

I am willing to bet that people getting so thoroughly owned are still living happily in their oblivious world of fake news thinking they won that exchange too.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm
I am willing to bet that people getting so thoroughly owned are still living happily in their oblivious world of fake news thinking they won that exchange too.
Interestingly, I think almost all of the folks that insulted us and insisted we were wrong, now accept that it's possible. Very few of them were able to simply say "cool - my mistake". They have a variety of excuses ranging from "you guys don't know how it actually works" to "you explained it wrong".

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm

spork wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Interestingly, I think almost all of the folks that insulted us and insisted we were wrong, now accept that it's possible. Very few of them were able to simply say "cool - my mistake". They have a variety of excuses ranging from "you guys don't know how it actually works" to "you explained it wrong".
Wait, they actually told you who built it that you do not understand how it works??? :o
Of course, it's your fault that you did not explain so they could understand. :lol::lol::lol:
That is too funny.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm
Wait, they actually told you who built it that you do not understand how it works??? :o
Yup. That was a pretty common claim.
Of course, it's your fault that you did not explain so they could understand. :lol::lol::lol:
That is too funny.
Indeed. They would tell me I either understood it wrong, or was explaining it wrong. They would then explain to me how it really works - and of course they'd get that horribly wrong and violate the known laws of physics. This surprisingly happened maybe a dozen times.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Well, I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you...

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Are the physics behind it explained somewhere in this thread?

I understand that when you are going the same speed as the wind, the apparent wind is 0, but because of the kinetic energy of the cart driving the propeller, it's basically the same as driving the propeller in no wind, giving thrust and thus accelerating further. But I can imagine this only working in very little wind to reach more than 2x windspeed, am I right?

Cool project though :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”