Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Downwind Faster Than The Wind - update

Postby Bille » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:57 am

spork wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm
Long lines won't solve the straight downwind problem. The problem is that, to go directly downwind faster than the wind, you have to make the wind work against the water in the downwind direction.
I "GET" it now !

These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
spork (Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spork » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 am

Are the physics behind it explained somewhere in this thread?
No, but if you have a couple of hours to waste on a really boring video, you can watch me try to explain it at the St. Francis Yacht Club...

I understand that when you are going the same speed as the wind, the apparent wind is 0, but because of the kinetic energy of the cart driving the propeller, it's basically the same as driving the propeller in no wind...
Yes and no...
It doesn't rely on the kinetic energy of the cart to get past wind speed. It's true that there is no wind relative to the vehicle at wind speed, but there's still wind relative to the ground. And even at exactly wind speed, we're still slowing that wind down. So we can go exactly windspeed all day long - even up a slight incline.

But it's true the the propeller is behaving as it would if it were spinning in zero wind, much like a small plane starting to taxi. So producing thrust is no problem, but many people find it counter-intuitive that the energy balance can work out in your favor at exactly wind speed.
I can imagine this only working in very little wind to reach more than 2x windspeed, am I right?
It's true that it becomes harder to achieve multiples of wind speed in higher wind. This is because it requires a very efficient overall process to get high multiples, and you lose lots of efficiency when you begin to get the tips of the propeller in the realm where the flow is compressible (around Mach 0.3). I think we achieved about 3.1X wind speed in 10-15 mph wind unofficially, and 2.8X wind speed in 10-12 mph wind for the record runs.
These users thanked the author spork for the post (total 3):
Faxie (Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:01 pm) • Laughingman (Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 pm) • knotwindy (Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:28 am

Spork I have been following your project from the beginning and I have always been enthusiastic. It took me a while to appreciate how it actually worked. It is most counter intuitive and very impressive.

Even now when I show some people the video of you going downwind faster than the wind their eyes just glaze over not understanding that it can be possible.

Thanks for all your work on this.

😉
CG

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:52 am

Thanks!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:38 am

Love this faster than wind thing and thinking about the math for a long time. I have not followed these 30 pages so maybe it has already been discussed :
To me the rotating wing is neither a propulsor nor a generator. It is "in between" actually, working as a spinacker sail pushed by the wind . Its rotation (combined to wing angle of attack) is just here to "divide" the cart speed at wing level so that the wing surface always go lower than the cart, hence still pushed by the wind.
Sorry if already discussed earlier, but it's such a strange arrangement... i love it
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 am

Watched and thoroughly enjoyed the video. What a way to prove a point! Congratulations!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 pm

ooooooooh! so funny thing, I always thought it was the propeller that turned the wheels, up to a certain point and then at that point the wheels would turn the propeller, figured you could change the angle of the propeller to pull instead of push... if that makes any sense.... I am way less confused now.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 pm
ooooooooh! so funny thing, I always thought it was the propeller that turned the wheels, up to a certain point and then at that point the wheels would turn the propeller
Interestingly we have run the vehicle in two modes - upwind and downwind. In the downwind mode the propeller is *always* a propeller (which is to say that the wheels turn it) below, at, and above wind speed.

In the upwind mode, the big spinny thing acts as a turbine (which is to say that it turns the wheels) at all speeds.
...figured you could change the angle of the propeller to pull instead of push...
Initially we did not implement variable pitch on the propeller. It still worked fine going directly downwind faster than the wind, but the startup is very slow (which was to be expected). We later added variable pitch, and that saved us a lot of runway in getting up to speed. But we never move the pitch from pusher to tractor or vice-versa on any run.
Last edited by spork on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Great vid, not a waste of time or boring at all. I assume in the post above you meant “ ‘upwind’ mode, the big spiny thing acts as a turbine”?

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 pm
Great vid, not a waste of time or boring at all.
Thanks!
I assume in the post above you meant “ ‘upwind’ mode, the big spiny thing acts as a turbine”?
Yes - that's exactly what I said (now that you caught it and I changed it :) )

Return to “Kitesurfing”