Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman 5M Bunny

Postby wondamic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:22 pm

rust wrote:Hello!

Sorry for the interruption, but the same question from the other side of the weight scale.

I am 95 kilo weight and have Gypsy 7m.

I like surfing with the kite, but some time enjoy high jumps.

Do I need Bunny? Really want to buy, but do I need it?

Thank for any opinions,

rust
Okay after some time and more experience under my belt with the Gypsy/Surfboard combo I have to say that kite has THE craziest wind range.

As stated earlier, I am a feather weight. But peep this, I am now able to ride the Gypsy/Surfboard combo at mid-teens--low thirties (16-32 mph). Correct if I'm wrong but those of you in the 200lbs club can probably get going in the mid-twenties and a surfboard. Jkrug said it best though, you can change your settings to extend your wind range.

But, I guess my question to you is, how often does it get pass mid-thirties? This is the point where someone of your weight class would probably be considering the Bunny. You may be able to get it lower...30mph? try before you buy!

Here's a quick video of my buddies and I riding in the 15-19mph range. I'm the little dude on the orange board with the Gypsy. Everyone else are on 13s and 12s. They all range in the 175-200lbs club. Hope it helps...

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:34 am

I was weighing about 185 this winter and had my Gypsy out in 40 with gusts to 50 strapless on a surfboard in horrible chop and didn't find it to be at its limit. This is the reason I got this kite for the 30 plus days in the surf!!! Our best surf is in hurricanes when they are in the gulf hitting anywhere but here. I have rode it in the 20's just because I wanted to ride it but those winds are better left for my Smoke.

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:41 am

I am 205 lbs. My wife 125. We both rode gypsy (7) in 40 average winds in maui. That kite was so sweet and ate the kihei gusts.

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:05 pm

There's a great review of the Bunny in this months Kiteworld Magazine.

phil

rust
Medium Poster

Postby rust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:22 am

Hi, Yes I was overpowered on my Gypsy twice during one month in Philippines.

It was gusting to mid 40s, kite was on middle knots, but it was too much on-off power feeling, and canopy was flapping as my watching friends said.

My main concern is that I lose the ability to move the kite agressively enough in that condition to surf with power.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm

rust wrote:Hi, Yes I was overpowered on my Gypsy twice during one month in Philippines.

It was gusting to mid 40s, kite was on middle knots, but it was too much on-off power feeling, and canopy was flapping as my watching friends said.

My main concern is that I lose the ability to move the kite agressively enough in that condition to surf with power.
the first time i used my gypsy, i thought it was so windy that i attached the back lines to the strong wind knot. i had the same experience you mentioned above. the kite did not fly/turn well. it flapped too. i brought it down and put it on the lightest wind connection, and it was like a different kite. no flapping, perfect turning. i think 'strong wind' for the 7m for people our weight is going to be 50mph+. next time you get gusting to mid 40s, try your gypsy on the light wind knot, i think you'll find it perfect. something to try before investing in another kite you may not need.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Rust makes an important point... it really depends how much power you want to hold. If your riding in Waves on a directional you don't want to be riding at the limit of the kite but rather the opposite. I'm 193 pounds - ride a surfboard and can ride a 5 meter in steady low to mid 20's (depending on current and wind direction) Kate for you, at your size, there is no question the Bunny is a great choice with all the settings...plenty of bottom end potential and ridiculous top end. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”