Forum for kitesurfers
panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lightwind showdown : Zephyr vs. Ovando

Postby panchito » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:13 pm

I was kiting today in Tarifa with some light winds ....

Look around 4.00 pm in the pic.

So I went out with my Ovando , 23 m lines and my TT ..... not many kites out , most of them 12m and up been able to go back to the point they started .... only one was pretty much going up wind like me was a 14 m Crossbow till the most pimped kite in tis forum the last couple of months appeared a the beach... a 17 m Zephyr ....

I will not go too much in detail cause it was only for a max of 15 minutes till the wind dropped to a minimum that not even the Zephyr was abel to stay upwind but .....

Yes , the Zephyr did better that me ... I needed to move my kite when I was hit by the lulls and the Zephyr kept stable in the air and was able to go upwind fairly better than me ...

Oh.... :think: I forgot to mention the size of my kite ? it was a 9 m with 23 m lines ...

I wonder how the 11 or even the 13 Ovandos performs against that 17 m moster ....... :lol:

Saludos

Franz

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Lightwind showdown : Zephyr vs. Ovando

Postby Klaus (c:E » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Franz,

what size Ovando did You use?
It seems not the 11 or 13 m²

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Panchito,
Great to see some reviews amongst kites.
Do you know what the level/skill was of the other rider, their weight, and their board size used? Also what is your weight and the board used?

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Klaus (c:E wrote:Hi Franz,

what size Ovando did You use?
It seems not the 11 or 13 m²

Sea You: Klaus (c:E
Oh.... I forgot to mention the size of my kite ? it was a 9 m with 23 m lines ...
Saludos

Franz

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:13 pm

IWB2 wrote:Panchito,
Great to see some reviews amongst kites.
Do you know what the level/skill was of the other rider, their weight, and their board size used? Also what is your weight and the board used?
The folks I am talking about are locals with a good / very good level ... weights ? no one was over 80 or so 80 kgs so I guess every body was around the 70 / 80 kgs mark .

Boards ? no clue but nobody will ever dare going out in such winds with a 130 x 40 board most were on surfboards / type of .

The point is ..... the 17 m WAS the king of the beach today .... I am not discussing that but honestly ..... I did not see any " rocket science " on that kite .... it was doing a bit better than a 14 m Crossbow so what ? it is a 17 m kite ....

I was on a 9 meter with 23 m lines ( Ozone bar has 25 meter lines stock ) so I guess if I would have attached the 4 m extensions I am sure I was able to perform almost as good as that Crossbow .

I know ..... people will start jumping over me accusing me that I hate Ozone ..... WRONG !! listen .... I loved my Edges and the quality of the Ozone kites are probably among the best of the entire industry , the customer care ( at least here in Spain ) is also top level , it just happen to be that I got bored using the same kites for almost 2,5 years and I did want to go a bit on waves , gave a try to the 09 line up and I did not like them , finish .... no problem there , it was just a matter of taste nothing else ... I was probably the first Ozone pimp around and I have been defending their 5th line concept always .

I started this thread cause the Zephyr has appeared in this ( and other forums ) like if it is THE light wind kite per excellence and for me it is just a 17 m kite nothing more and nothing less .

To the question what I prefer , the answer is simple ; I take a 9 m anytime or in that matter if I wanted to have a few more knots low end for my weight , then an 11 m Ovando .

Imo , if there is a kite that should be pimped as " the " light wind kite , then it should be the Ovando , I am sure the 13 m OV outperforms the 17 m Z.

Saludos

Franz

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:12 pm

I have been out on my OV 11 going fast, jumping and blowing by kiters with 13's and 14's - and I was riding a fairly small board 131 x 40.

I plan to try the OV 11 with a larger board and see how much better it gets.

Ed

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Franz

What app is that you were using? It looks similar to WindAlert but there are differences. It looks to me that you could view the next days forecast graph which is something I have been asking for from the weatherflow tech people for months!

Sincerely

Pete

Afro
Medium Poster

Postby Afro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 pm

the zephyr has been designed to work in light winds; only one size... the 17

the ovando was designed mainly for high winds; concept sizes were 7 and 9 yes?
i'm not sure the design will scale up for amazing low wind performance, but i look forward to video evindence showing one way or the other.

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey Franz,

Kudos to you but I think that you got the "most pimped-up kite" wrong. Clearly the Ovando but who cares anyway. I am in SPI right now and the light wind king is the Zephyr. Yes it is a 17m (clearly printed on the kite btw) but it develops power very progressively and indeed relaunches quite easy in very light winds. No 9m kites were seen in the sky when I tried the 17 .........

Props to Ozone for sending Patrick to SPI for weeks to let people try their kites in a variety of conditions!

Too bad Ovandos are not here. I guess it is easier to pump up the forum hype then simply sending your kites to a good location and let people try it ....

Danperez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spain-tarifa-pals-castelldelfels-majanicho fuerte
Favorite Beaches: Haakgat-cape town-misty cliffs
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo

Postby Danperez » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Hola Panchito,nice to see you are a ozone fan again,welcome back! :congrats: