Style: Surf
Gear: North 2009 Rebels
X-Ride 136 and 141
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing spreader bar

Postby sloanish » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:00 pm

I have been trying to reduce the number of harnesses I have and just use one spreader bar for both windsurfing and kitesurfing. (Please no discussions here of sport pro and cons)
I have a standard Dakine windsurfing SS spreader bar without the small piece of SS wire connecting the left and right parts of the hook.
I have the new kingpin bar with this extra reinforcement but the bar is awkward to get in and out of plus the spreader pad interferes with the operation of the kingpin bar. In general this does not look like it will work.
I assume that the hammer spreader bar will not work for windsurfing.
questions....
Is there anything wrong or unsafe in using the standard Dakine windsurfing SS spreader bar for kitesurfing? Does the little extra reinforcement really make a difference and is it needed to keep the hook on the chicken loop?
I did not see any discussion of these products so would like your comments on them.
Attachments
kingpin spreader bar.jpg
Dakine Kingpin Windsurfing Spreader Bar
kingpin spreader bar.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
wsrf spreader bar.jpg
Windsurfer spreader bar
wsrf spreader bar.jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 1905 times

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Kitesurfing spreader bar

Postby robertovillate » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:53 am

You should look at the Dynabar.

Here is a thread that follows the development and evolution of the bar.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2355507&start=100

I've used everything from the first prototypes to the current versions and they are all great. Ironically I am using the prototype now because I sold my last V3 to someone who had to have it. Many improvements from the prototype to the V3...a good company moving the design forward on a regular basis.

You can fix the hook in place if you want, or allow it to rotate as designed. Good stuff, bomber construction.

TopHat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1971
Local Beach: Localism is a Social Problem.
Style: Unknown to you...
Gear: A SURFBOARD
A FIXED PULLEY BAR
A C-KITE From a Company that Mocks Me
Brand Affiliation: No Brands or Tattoos
I BUY MY OWN...

Postby TopHat » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:11 am

I kite with the same standard Dakine windsurfing SS spreader bar that I used for years for windsurfing. :D
It works very well. :thumb:

Aloha, Ride Safe, Have Fun. :hut:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:13 am

What does pimping the Dynabar have to do with this post? BTW, windsufing sucks and you should fly an Ovando or Zephyr because they are best in light winds. (Sarcasm)

Seriously though, I think the old issue was that there were some aluminum windsurf spreader bars not up to spec for the forces involved in kitesurfing. I would think you can find a kitesurf-spreader-bar that is not to cumbersome for windsurfing and you don't need that kingpin gadget the bar in your pic has.

I don't know if the stainless windsurfer bar you show is up to specification, but the only issue as I see it with a windsurf bar is that if it fails while you are doing high jumps you will fall hard.

Jake
Last edited by jakemoore on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:44 am

Agreed. The Dakine windsurfing spreader bar is solid and should be fine. The main difference between it and the Dakine kiteboarding one is that the hook is a little more open (not quite so curved) which works well for windsurfing. In kiting this makes little difference to most people.

:wink:
CG

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby robertovillate » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:41 am

jakemoore wrote:What does pimping the Gynebar have to do with this post? BTW, windsufing sucks and you should fly an Ovando or Zephyr because they are best in light winds. (Sarcasm)

Seriously though, I think the old issue was that there were some aluminum windsurf spreader bars not up to spec for the forces involved in kitesurfing. I would think you can find a kitesurf-spreader-bar that is not to cumbersome for windsurfing and you don't need that kingpin gadget the bar in your pic has.

I don't know if the stainless windsurfer bar you show is up to specification, but the only issue as I see it with a windsurf bar is that if it fails while you are doing high jumps you will fall hard.

Jake

assorted sarcasm aside,

I windsurfed for 20+ years before kiting and had thought about a moveable hook back then as well. I have not tried it windsurfing yet but would like to. I can say it works great for kiting, especially directional boards. So not meaning to barge in but think these comments are appropos.

I like Dakine products and have been using them for 30 years...but I do believe the Dynabar is more durable than the Dakine bars , many of which I have broken (fixed and pivoting) and usually that's no fun. I am not a heavy weight rider so that would be even more of a concern for people bigger than me, 160# +. As comfort, I think the Dynabar adds lots of comfort in that it does not wrench your hips around and does not torque the bar against your ribcage. In terms of ease of putting it on/taking it off, it's the same as most other bars.

(for the record: I do not work for Dynabar, but I do like the product, promote it and sell it...because it works. does everyone like it? maybe not.)

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:30 pm

robertovillate wrote:
jakemoore wrote:What does pimping the Gynebar have to do with this post? BTW, windsufing sucks and you should fly an Ovando or Zephyr because they are best in light winds. (Sarcasm)

Jake

assorted sarcasm aside,

I windsurfed for 20+ years before kiting and had thought about a moveable hook back then as well. I have not tried it windsurfing yet but would like to. I can say it works great for kiting, especially directional boards. So not meaning to barge in but think these comments are appropos.

I like Dakine products and have been using them for 30 years...but I do believe the Dynabar is more durable than the Dakine bars , many of which I have broken (fixed and pivoting) and usually that's no fun. I am not a heavy weight rider so that would be even more of a concern for people bigger than me, 160# +. As comfort, I think the Dynabar adds lots of comfort in that it does not wrench your hips around and does not torque the bar against your ribcage. In terms of ease of putting it on/taking it off, it's the same as most other bars.

(for the record: I do not work for Dynabar, but I do like the product, promote it and sell it...because it works. does everyone like it? maybe not.)
Hey,

A historical note here:

More than one windsurfing company tried to accomplish what Dynabar has apparently done successfully. Many windsurfers have recognized the need and utility of a sliding hook spreader bar. I think that even North made one in the mid-80s. None of the sliding hook windsurfing bars worked very or for very long. I think that all the manufacturers just gave up on the idea. The biggest problem was that of the sliding track and the "follower" piece. There was a jamming problem because of the difficulty of keeping the parts parallel while moving. Also, the bungee cord wore out quickly.

I would guess that Dynabar would have as much luck marketing the product to windsurfers as to kiters. They should be congratulated for solving the problems of "jamming" and maybe even the problem with the bungee.

I don't windsurf much anymore, but I know that near the end of my "career" I had shortened my harness lines to the point that my hook did not move along the harness line, at all, and at this point, I would have liked to have a sliding hook spreader bar, to make up for this fact. Now, windsurfers are doing more "toeside" stuff, and might like a Dynabar to go along with their shorter harness lines.

JAYFACTORY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby JAYFACTORY » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi, I think there is no need of pimping DYNABAR because you have enough posts in this forum with positive feedback. The DYNABAR design is jamming free and the bungee can be replaced in two minutes with the spare we supply in the package.

We have done tests on windsurf and the PRORACE model is the one suitable for windsurfer's needs: stable and the hook can be positioned in the best position for the user.
I don't think the other models FREERIDE and PROWAVE suitable for windsurfing but PROWAVE could be the right choice for both windsurfing and kitesurfing because it has 7 positions along the bar (angles for the hook to stop).

The fact that sliding hook spreader bar was conceived in mid-80s by windsurfers shows that there was a need and DYNABAR is the solution to it.
From our point of view sliding hook is the future, this statement is supported by “rumour” saying that big brands have already started working on new models…

Happy new year!
Attachments
prowave 2009.JPG
prowave 2009.JPG (18.38 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
prorace 2010.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”