Rainrider
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

C-kite ok for a beginner?

Postby Rainrider » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Hello surfers.

I started kiting in june 2009 with a Slingshot RPM 12 m². I love that kite. Great pull and it feels safe. After some time I bought a Slingshot Octane 9 m². The problem is I dont like it. I want more grunt. I have been offered a Slingshot Fuel 9 m² for a good price. The talk here is that c-kites are more dangerous and have much less safety and depower. I am a flat water and high jump kind of guy.

How similar is the Fuel 2008 to the RPM?

Is there much less depower in a Fuel?

What happens when you let go of the bar on the Fuel. Still pulls like mad?

Try it before you buy it? Yeah, I know. The problem is that the sea is frozen now in my part of the world. If I dont grab it now someone else will buy it.

Please help.

doc1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: vropos,loytsa
Favorite Beaches: ai giannhs,loytsa
Style: freeride
Gear: flexifoil neutron 12,9

Re: C-kite ok for a beginner?

Postby doc1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:23 pm

you said you liked the rpm,so stick to it!Buy a small one for those windy days,it has the feeling of a c-kite and the depower of a bow kite..Its that simple!.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Which Octane? The 2009/2010 Rev Octane or the 2006 Octane (which does not exist in 9 m2)?

The Fuel 9m2 2008 has good depower. After releasing the bar it does not pull like a truck.

The feeling is different from a RPM, but good. Dangerous? Kiters can be dangerous, not this kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:04 pm

if a C kite, then just make the depower longer, and it gets more depower. Not as much as a bow, but you don't want to go out in high winds or fronts, then you will be fine.
And set the line connection to "slow", so the kite can be controlled better.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Go for it, the 9m Fuel is a sick kite - don't listen to the safety gimps, yes bow kites are better for learners but C kites are where its at. If you can ride your RPM fine then you won't have any problems with a Fuel :thumb:

Don't bother adjusting the settings, whats the point of buying a sports car and only using half throttle :-?
The talk here is that c-kites are more dangerous
That's rubbish, both styles have their limitations, I could give you scenarios for both style of kite that could get you in the crap. One rule for all kites tho - don't go out in too much wind.

Jay

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:51 pm

[quote="Toby"]but you don't want to go out in high winds or fronts, then you will be fine.
And set the line connection to "slow", so the kite can be controlled better.[/quote]

1 - if there is one kite I would trust in high winds and fronts, it is a C. The most stable solution. But if a storm front is passing: read the predictions as much as possible. Dark clouds? Stop!

2 - Forget about slow connections (or enormous depower), a (c) kite is better controlled with normal power. The more depower, the less control (try to steer a kite without backline tension, complete rubbish).

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:55 pm

You love the RPM

You don't like the Octane

You don't have a chance to try the fuel before buying.

Choice seems simple. RPM.

One thing many forget is how much easier it is to relaunch modern high depower kites compared to C-kites.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

SS Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby SS Kiter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Fuel 2008 has a good depower, just enough I would say. Using Fifth line then you have almost 100% depower when you need it.
But, as said before, if you have already a RPM 12 just get a 8 RPM. RPM is a great kite and you´ll be able to do any thing on it you would do with a Fuel and you´ll not have to get used to a diferent kite when you have to change it because of the wind

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:45 pm

12 RPM and 9 Fuel is a great combo, go for it. C kites are perfectly safe and you'll get the feeling you want. I think there's a mod you can do to your RPM as well to make it feel more like a C after you fall in love with how your Fuel feels.

Rainrider
Rare Poster

Postby Rainrider » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Great replys! Thanks guys.

The reason I dont get an RPM is that there is no used ones for sale. The price for the Fuel is very affordable too since the guy have bad knees and are having a baby. He needs to sell.

I have the 2010 Octane.

Return to “Kitesurfing”