Forum for kitesurfers
harviento
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mako: which size?

Postby harviento » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Thinking about getting a Mako. Since the shape is so unique, I'm wondering which size would be best for me. Pretty sure I'm focusing on the 140 or the 150, but need some input from riders of these boards as to which length might be better for what reasons (including whether the 150 fits easily inside an NSI golf bag).

I am 6'1, 170 pounds. Looking for a board that would be fun to ride in rough, but rolling chop/waves of 2'-6' but would also be fun for slicks and sandbars in the same run with depths of just a few inches at times. In the past, that board has been my 139 Jimmy Lewis, but that board is nearing the end of its life, so I am considering trying something new. And hoping the Mako might be a little more surfy.

My riding consists mostly of carving on waves and boosting big jumps, along with some backrolls and frontrolls. Starting to try some basic unhooked stuff and plan to play with some kiteloops this year, but my other twintip will be my Eclipse Dimitri Pro 128 for pure flat water sessions.

Any insights or suggestions?

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Re: Mako: which size?

Postby Kirok » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:04 pm

I have the Mako 150 X 40 and the old Mako Classic which is also 150 cm long. I have test ridden the Mako 140 and it rides about the same as the 150 X40 in normal and choppy conditions. It also swings a bit easier than the 150. There is a big difference in waves in that the 150 handles them better.

In short, you should try to demo both boards. You cannot go wrong with either. For travel, yeah, that extra 10cm gets in the way. That is about the only downside I see for the bigger board.

kind regards
Kirk

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:10 pm

second to Kirk....

my weight is 200lbs

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Great question!
Your weight makes me lean towards the 140 for you, but you are a tall guy too.
So maybe the 150 would be better. Especially in waves.
That xtra 10cm of length creates a bit more drive though cutbacks and a bit more low end.
The new King....hmmm. 165x43, this could be a great surf twin tip/mutant for someone your size too.
At your weight it would certainly give you a huge advantage in lite conditions.
I'm 6' & weigh 210 and I have a buddy who is 6'1" & weighs about 170.
He was able to rip and point upwind on the King in 12kts with a 14m, while I was just holding my ground.
He bought a 140 last year after demoing the 150 for a few sessions,
and he might just get the King for a lite wind board.
This would be a great combo for any rider.
There is enough of a grey area here to justify some demo time for the perfect fit.
You might even hop on a mako mini and fall in love with the micro swing weight and skate like feel
this board brings to you.
My advice to you is whatever one you go for try this during your 1st session.
Just try and pearl that nose.
Put all you weight forward and then even it out and flatten the board.
You can ride one of these with minimal back leg pressure and no hard edging and still scream upwind with hardly any effort at all! Its my favorite design for long sessions.
You are going to be amazed at the speed one of these boards can generate over chop and cruddy conditions.
And when you lay into a turn, lay in hard!
The Mako's just hang in there like nothing else and shoot you out of a turn with a lot of energy.
(my personal favorite is the 150x40....but the King is making me smile big time)

Good luck dude! 8)

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Mako 140, where are you located?

harviento
Medium Poster

Postby harviento » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. I live in Cape Charles, on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. But I'm getting ready to head to Mexico this weekend, and both of my twin tips have insert problems at the moment. I've been eyeing the Mako for a while, and now may be the time for a rushed overnight delivery purchase. No chance to test ride, but I think Ocean Rodeo has a good 30-day return policy if I don't like the board for any reason.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Yip thats why i asked i can send out a Mako and you can return or exchange it for a different size if you want. 1 problem though is i wont be able to get it to you before this weekend.

Stefaans
www.windydevil.com

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm about your size, and have ridden both boards quite a bit. The 140 is great if it's your all-around board, easier to swing, pop, etc.

The 150 or the New Mako King would be a nice complement to the Jimmy Lewis 132.

sashabogi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Naples, FL 18th Ave S.
Gear: EH Rippehrs, EH Ovando & Naish Cult

Postby sashabogi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 pm

rodeoclown wrote:My advice to you is whatever one you go for try this during your 1st session.
Just try and pearl that nose.
Put all you weight forward and then even it out and flatten the board.
You can ride one of these with minimal back leg pressure and no hard edging and still scream upwind with hardly any effort at all! Its my favorite design for long sessions.
You are going to be amazed at the speed one of these boards can generate over chop and cruddy conditions.
And when you lay into a turn, lay in hard!
The Mako's just hang in there like nothing else and shoot you out of a turn with a lot of energy.
I bought 09 mako wide from you a couple of months ago and still cannot figure out how to ride this thing up wind... can you please elaborate on the technique a little bit more.
pearl the nose??? what does that entail?
sorry for all the questions but i'm a bit new at this...

Sasha

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:36 am

Best wave performance and light wind performance = mako king (but you can still ride it in high winds)

Very good wave performance, carving and some jumps = mako 150

best all round performance for all conditions including jumps, rotations, waves, chop, carving = 140 (go anywhere do anything - but maybe not absolutely excel at any one thing).

Your size and weight are not really a factor. It is more about which board characteristics you want to maximize.

Ed

ps I have owned the original mako, the 150 wide and the 140. Currently have the 140.

Return to “Kitesurfing”