Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2010, who will pay?

Forum for kitesurfers
PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

2010, who will pay?

Postby PAFF » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:06 am

Where is our sport going in this economy?

Is there any sense in having 30+ companies making kites, if nobody is making any money? How will this affect the Pro tours?

How many companies will be sending riders around the PKRA tour, on a travel budget in 2010?
Just going to 7 stops, will cost around 14000 euros per riders! Looks like Alex Pastor couldn't even get Naishkiteboarding to pay him.

Looks like only Cabrinha and LF have the money to fly more than 1 rider around the world! If this is the case, why do we have 30+ companies making kites, if nobody is making enough money to promote our sport?

The AUS season, just started and from friends in the business down under i hear that sales are shit, worst in many years.

Are wee about to have our sport go down as a serious business, before it even got started?

tungsten222
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010, who will pay?

Postby tungsten222 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 am

PAFF wrote:Where is our sport going in this economy?

Is there any sense in having 30+ companies making kites, if nobody is making any money? How will this affect the Pro tours?

How many companies will be sending riders around the PKRA tour, on a travel budget in 2010?
Just going to 7 stops, will cost around 14000 euros per riders! Looks like Alex Pastor couldn't even get Naishkiteboarding to pay him.

Looks like only Cabrinha and LF have the money to fly more than 1 rider around the world! If this is the case, why do we have 30+ companies making kites, if nobody is making enough money to promote our sport?

The AUS season, just started and from friends in the business down under i hear that sales are shit, worst in many years.

Are wee about to have our sport go down as a serious business, before it even got started?
I've been saying this for a long time. I think having this many companies I think hurts development, because not many can afford proper R/D. I don't really wish for anyone to go under, I just do not see the benefit as a rider to having 30+ companies to split a market of 100k kites.

I don;t really hope that companies go under, but I do not think the market can sustain that many. I also think it would be better for shops if there were fewer companies. It would lead less white van

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 pm

we have around 50-60 kite companies. Plus more board companies...

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Like the saying: Too many chiefs but not enough indians!!
There is way more product available than consumers.
Although kiteboarding is a fast growing sport, we 're still dealing and relying up on weather, No Wind No kiteboarding.
Kiteboarding instructors are key and shall be well paid.
Etc, etc, etc.

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 pm

kitecozumel wrote: Kiteboarding instructors are key and shall be well paid.
Etc, etc, etc.
Someone wants a raise :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm glad that there are hundreds of manufacturers, as a consumer, competition between manufacturers will bring/keep prices down (Cabrinha excepted), increase compatability between brands, offer choice with asthetic designs. Just 'casue kite manufacturers bring out kites annually, doesn't mean we need to buy them. I think the future of the industry will be in more tweeking, customisation and interchangability of components.

I reckon we will choose our kite from one manufacturer, choose a bar from another, a board from one and pads and fins from another.

marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards

Postby marshall10488 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:47 am

kitecozumel wrote: Kiteboarding instructors are key and shall be well paid.
will you please talk to my boss.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 am

PAFF wrote:Is there any sense in having 30+ companies making kites, if nobody is making any money?
Did you hear of the economic crisis yet? Do you think kiteboarding as a leisure activity would be more or less affected? In economics you distinguish between necessary goods and luxury goods. Guess which are affected worse by an economic crisis.

Mind you, for me -and probably many others here in the forum- kites have become a necessary good. Comes with the addiction, you know what I mean. But newcomers aren't addicted yet and may choose to not start an expensive new leisure activity in tough times. And even the kite addict may postpone a purchase of new gear when he just lost his job. This is what it means to be in an economic crisis.

Also keep in mind that demand driven adjustments to the number of companies in the market are slower than the economy itself. Companies are trying to survive the crisis for a while before giving up. So it is only expected that there seem to be too many companies in the market right now. I just don't see the point complaining about this, how would you solve this problem other than waiting for market forces to do the job?

Is there any sense in having no wind right now? How will this affect my kiteboarding progression?

hamajusyda
Medium Poster

Postby hamajusyda » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:30 am

PAFF wrote:Where is our sport going in this economy?

Is there any sense in having 30+ companies making kites, if nobody is making any money?

Way back in the the early 80's "SAIL" magazine showcased sailboarding and listed all the manufacturers, there were around 60+ companies making windsurfing equipment!
It seemed that many sports oriented company wanted to get involved. Here's a small list, most if not all are no longer making anything windsurf related!

I can't remember all of them but some that I do remember
1) Browning -- hunting equipment!
2) AMF -- anything and everything...golf clubs, tennis rackets...the list could go on & on.
3) Laser -- the sailboat company
4) Marker -- Snow Skiing
Countless other companies who popped up to try their hand at the fastest growing water sport and then slowing disappeared from the scene because they couldn't make enough $$!

Hmmm... sounds very familiar. I'm sure in time only the strongest companies will survive in the kiteboarding scene. In a few years I'm sure there most likely not be the 60+ kite companies there are today!

JC

Return to “Kitesurfing”