Brand Affiliation: None.

2010 Airush Sector

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Airush News:

2010 Airush Sector

INTRODUCING THE WIDEBODY REVOLUTION
2010 Sector 2.png
2010 Sector 2.png (82.31 KiB) Viewed 8516 times
Airush introduces the Widebody concept with the Sector 60. At nearly 4 inches (10cm) wider than other production kiteboard, the light-wind advantages of the Sector 60 concept are clear.

The Sector 52 is based on the ideology of a high performance Freerace directional, with high wind performance for heavier riders or a dedicated light wind board for light weight riders. The Sector 52 also offers a more maneuverable option to its big brother the Sector 60.

Innovations in the fin configuration and hull design create an easy to use, yet high performance freerace board, that simply outperform traditional light-wind boards through significant steps forward in upwind recreational performance.

The obvious increase in width enables the Sector to get going earlier, and continue planning in absolutely minimal wind conditions. Developed to be used in conjunction with kites such as the Airush Lithium LW (Light Wind) 13 & 15m, the combined innovation enables you to ride the relatively smaller sizes than traditional light wind kites from around the 7 knot threshold.

SECTOR 60: 172 cm x 60 cm (5’8” x 23 1/2)
SECTOR 52: 173 cm x 52 cm (5’8” x 20 1/2)
2010 Sector 1.png

Afro
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Airush Sector

Postby Afro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:46 pm

didnt know they were making windsurf planks :D

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 pm

The 60 sounds huge by normal kiteboard standards, but some of the custom lightwind race boards look well over 50 cm wide. The 52 is a surprise - there has been no talk of it until now.

I'm guessing they reckon that full on raceboards will be too uncomfortable/strenuous to ride for any length of time and have built these for the light wind freeride market.
I can see an advantage in winter of having a lot of volume in a lightwind board, because if the wind drops and you are off shore, its a lot easier to paddle in on something like a Sector 60.

A review on the Sector 60

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topi ... c_id=59342

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Any user feedback on these boards? Are they actually on the market? What is the skinny?

- Droffats

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:38 pm

I've been riding both 60cm and 52cm in Cape Town since December - I test boards for Airush so you know.

The 60cm will get you going in any wind where you can get your kite in the air. It's easy to ride untill it starts blowing 20knots plus and goes upwind as well as most production raceboards (LTD etc)

The 52cm can also be ridden in really light wind due to the fin-set (18cm and 22cm - same as on 60cm) - but it can be ridden hard in any wind strength. I used it in our local race series in all but winds under 15knots and won 3 races and came 2nd overall (out of 60 competitors).

The board is really really fast - It's significantly faster than LTD and RRD50cm even though it's a freerace board and its way easier to ride. It doesn't point as high as latest raceboards but the speed up and downwind is amazing.

You can even ride it on the reaches as opposed to most dedicated course boards which are really hard to control at high speeds.

The Sector 52 is an amazing allround board which will get you going in no wind, is easy to control in strong winds and even win races from time to time.

I attach a couple of pics
Attachments
Sector waveriing5.JPG
Waveriding w 18cm and 22cm quad......
Sector flying.JPG

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 pm

I found these pix online (not mine). Also very interested in this board. Any US dealers have availability soon?
Attachments
3324545 (Medium).jpg
3259696 (Medium).jpg
3259696 (Medium).jpg (42.53 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
Airush-2010-Monaro-Sector (Medium).jpg
Airush-2010-Monaro-Sector (Medium).jpg (245.76 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
3259698 (Medium).jpg
3259698 (Medium).jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
3259694 (Medium).jpg

jaysen5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sero & taurama Beach

Postby jaysen5 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

this board seems to be a very versatile directional, if only there were some out there that us normal riders could get a hold of and test for our selves.

The first production run must have been so small that only team riders got a board to play with.

rubenyayu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pollensa - Mallorca
Favorite Beaches: Oliva valencia
Tarifa
Denia
Style: Freestyle, race
Gear: Airush Varial
Airush Protoy
Airush Sector and Monaro
Brand Affiliation: www.kiteshopmallorca.com

Postby rubenyayu » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 am

Hi, my name is Ruben and I'm from MAllorca -Spain, where the winds are really low, from 7 to 12 knots. The last year I ride with the Monaro and Flow 12, and I can be in the watter from 8/9 knots. But now with the 60 sector I get go up-wind with 6 knots, i'm 73 kilos.

Is less dificult to ride than the Monaro, ltd an rrd but you can wind a race vs them because is fast and have up grade upwind.

I like 60 and now I'm waitting the 52 to compare between those.

By

Ruben

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm

We've ordered two boards to see for ourselves what it can do. Going upwind in 8 knots is not that important to us if the rider is only going the wind speed. For us, we have to be able to go significantly faster than the wind. Say, in 8 knots of wind, moving 14-16 knots. That would be worth it. Airush says the board will do that, so we are hoping for the best.

-The Dro

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm

We've ordered two boards to see for ourselves what it can do. Going upwind in 8 knots is not that important to us if the rider is only going the wind speed. For us, we have to be able to go significantly faster than the wind. Say, in 8 knots of wind, moving 14-16 knots. That would be worth it. Airush says the board will do that, so we are hoping for the best.
One month on my sector60 now.
At 87 kg,i'm able to plane and stay upwind as soon as my 13m kite can fly.
Don't worry about speed on 8-10 knots you will develop it with apparent wind.At 15-17 knots need to pull trimmer,way too overpowered.
It's a comfortable ride even in chop once dialed to the feeling,easy upwind and you choose between cruise arround or go for challenging speed runs,the board it's not designed for anything else,despite jumps with that width and such big fins.That's not kiting anymore,think about sailing,way more similar to formula winsurfing.
All that said,i'm a bit dissapointed on Airush quality:
Board come with a tiny frontpad,same as MONARO,not enough for TWO front footstraps,heels a bit out of the pad.
Front fins of 22cm not necessary for a Freeride board for my taste,so reshaped mines to 18cm.,board feels much better now, not as "stiff"
Footstraps without velcro size adjustment (thought we are in 2010 :-? )
And the most annoying thing,it's that the MiniTuttle fins doesn't come adjusted to the box,Or the box it's 1,5mm wider or the base of the fin it's thinner than expected.You simply can't put all the stress of a 22cm fin on a small head 5 or 6mm screw cause it's going to move,i almost lost mines
on my first session....had to glue a layer of glassfiber on the inside face of every fin base to fit the size of the box
i hate have to tweak new gear just right out of the box :angryfire:

Return to “Kitesurfing”