Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fatality in Spain

Forum for kitesurfers
GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Fatality in Spain

Postby GTC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 pm

A tragic kite accident happened yesterday in Sancti Petri beach, Spain. I was kiting in Tarifa (near Sancti Petri) and suddenly the wind picked up to 50 knots easily.

I found some info on a local newspaper:
http://www.diariodejerez.es/article/pro ... petri.html

My sincere condolences to all friends and family

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Fatality in Spain

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 pm

My condolences!

Can anyone translate and let us know what happened?

Thanks
Toby

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Klaus (c:E » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi,

sad story. My condolences to his relatives and friends.

here i have the babelfish translation of the link given by GTC. I understand a thunderstorm with severe gusts hit the area.
Juan Pedro Bermúdez Rodriguez, of about 30 years and neighbor of San Fernando, passed away yesterday in the evening after occurring a strong blow against a balustrade when kitesurf (table that takes built-in one commits) in the chiclanera beach of Sancti Petri practiced, in front of the Castle. Apparently, the young person was itself surprised by a very strong gust of wind of wind that made him fly hundreds of meters and of way uncontrolled until a wood balustrade that is next to the access road Sancti Petri. He was with that handrail with which the sportsman crashed violently after crossing by the air a zone to dunar of the beach. Everything aims at that Juan Pedro Bermúdez could not undo of the harnesses that subject to the comet maintained to him when, on the five of afternoon, the intense wind with rain elevated to him by airs until outside the sea. Initially it was attended by a German doctor who took a walk soon by the zone and by members of the Red Cross of Chiclana, that realised resuscitation exercises to him. However, before the gravity of the wounds of the young sportsman, they decided to warn of way immediate to the 061. In the little short while, it appeared a movable unit of emergencias that transferred to injured until the Hospital the Door of the Sea in Cadiz, where certificó its death. In the same way, another young person who also practiced kitesurf in the same beach saw surprised by the abruptness of the wind and also she left literally flying, although she suffered a better fate and she only underwent wounds of slight character. Some witnesses aimed that this young person accompanied the deceased to practice that sport in Sancti Petri. The meteorological conditionses of Chiclana during the day of got worse yesterday from four and the average one of afternoon when the clouds began to unload water in several occasions until the night. Nevertheless, the strong gust of wind that took place on the five of afternoon lasted only about ten minutes, soon to lessen. It was in that time interval when the young person of San Fernando underwent the gale, without she could make nothing govern his comet. In fact, a great number of localities of the province, except the Field of Gibraltar, suffered all evening throughout of yesterday great wind gusts of wind from electrical storms and abundant precipitations, although of short duration.
Sea You: Klaus (c:E

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 pm

so a storm cloud passed by...anyone in the same area who saw the cloud or conditions? Was the gust unexpected?

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

We where kiting in Tarifa with 20knt West (Poniente) wind, a bit gusty... There where very few kiters in the water, most of them with 9 to 12m kites. As we see some lightnings and dark clouds behind us and the wind was picking up quickly we all decided to go out... In just few minutes the wind picked up to 50knots, maybe more, with heavy rain... The storm lasted about 10 minutes and from what I've heard was the same in all parts (Sancti Petri is about 60km from Tarifa).

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 am

Oh dear :( condolences and best wishes to those left behind.

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 pm

... mi más sentido pésame. Lo siento muchísimo. Un abrazo para su familia y allegados.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:59 pm

GTC wrote:.... As we see some lightnings and dark clouds behind us and the wind was picking up quickly we all decided to go out....
Aren't those the very telling signs to get back in, rather than go out? :o

It goes without saying; my thoughts are with Juan Pedro's family.

Alex

Wray118
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wray118 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:36 pm

I think he means go out of the water .
Really sad news , condolences to those left behind.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 pm

I wish family and friends what comfort they can find at this tragic time. You have my sincere regrets.

Return to “Kitesurfing”