Forum for kitesurfers
curranj
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Abdominal pain and harnesses

Postby curranj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:33 pm

I was out snow kiting this weekend for maybe 3 hours and am having a fair amount of pain in my abs/rib section. This is somewhat normal but maybe because I haven't been out for a few months it's worse. I'm using an older (05) dakine tabu waist harness with a spreader bar pad. Is this normal or a waist harness issue? It happens almost every time I ride that my abs hurt but I figured that was just the workout pain. Do I have my harness too tight, not tight enough or would I be better with a seat or different style harness. I was out Saturday and am still feeling sore today???

I don't get out too often anymore but would like to alleviate this problem if possible.

Any suggestions

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Re: Abdominal pain and harnesses

Postby prayfawind27 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 am

if it's possible next time you go out try using your friends harness to see if it's your harness it could be just a waist harness issue and if that's the case invest in a very good high quality seat harness

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 am

Half a cup of concrete and 50 crunches should fix the problem.

luv
F

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:14 am

I'd suggest a Dynabar. The fully articulating hook eliminates all the torquing and twisting on your body and no more jacking on your abs and ribs. It works great for snowkiting too.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:13 am

I get the same thing and I use an old seat harness. I've tried a waist harness once, same thing. I get real sore abs after snowkiting, more so using a snowboard, not so much using skis.

I don't get sore abs kitesurfing. Up and down on a snowboard is a lot different than up and down on a TT. Gravity is a bigger factor and the weight of your gear as well, lot more weight on your feet.

So I don't think it has much to do with the harness and I don't think the dynabar will make much difference if you're using a snowboard, unless you want to ride toeside a lot or use skis.

PS: do a few leg raises and chinnups from your chinning bar with all your gear on, board, boots etc and you'll see what I mean by extra weight on your feet. Pretend you're doing a jump, pulling the bar in etc. You'll see your abs engage pretty quick.
Last edited by frankm1960 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 am

yust go out ,do not waste money on different harness,I felt the same when I was working regular,now I am retired and yust wait the wind so I go out more often( 2 and half hour friday),have da kine too,little pain on legs few days only,while years ago abds very very big pain.
but this on water I can't say for snow ,never tried
ciao

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 am

if you're doing a lot of grabs it's a big abs work out as your legs come up with a board + maybe snow/boots adds weight I don't know.

One day my abs were killing and I wondered why until I guessed how many jumps I probably did in a 5 hour session. It was way way more than leg lifts (or crunches or ...) I would ever think of doing in the gym.

so I doubt it's the harness. get a 6 pack. women love it.

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm

If It's rib pain, It's probably the harness. an '05 tabu is a pretty old harness. I'd try a newer harness.
I use a warrior2, (and warrior 1 before that), no more pain. My old harness gave me nasty bruised ribs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”