Medium Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Brand Affiliation: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mako King

Postby vegasrider » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey there,

can anyone give me some feedback on this board ? I am 90kg and looking for a lightwind board which also works when it gets a bit stronger, but focus is definately on lightwind with a 16m kite...

Thanks all !

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Mako King

Postby El Rudo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:58 pm

There's a very nice thread for you to dig in to!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2361631

The King is very good for light winds and peerless when there is a bit of chop - this will slow door-type boards down while the King feasts away on it!
Add fantastic carving to you list.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Yes.
This hull will defnately work in lite winds with a 16m.
I think it has about the same low end as a surfboard, but because it is so much easier to ride
(less rear foot pressure, switch stance, mutant/directional capable)
you are going to get way more out of it than just lite wind sessions.
Whats the highest wind I've taken this board out into?
30plus, the key is rigging a kite thats the right size for the gusts, because this board
just kills the lulls like they don't exist

Here is short video of a rider doing a demo in lite winds with a 14m.
2 other riders were out at the same time, 1 with a smaller tt and another on a surfboard.
They were having issues just getting on a plane and staying upwind.

I feel confident that board will meet your needs, but its wise to demo 1st if you can.

Good luck on your quest dude! :bye:

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:41 pm

vegasrider wrote:Hey there,

can anyone give me some feedback on this board ? I am 90kg and looking for a lightwind board which also works when it gets a bit stronger, but focus is definately on lightwind with a 16m kite...

Thanks all !
"lightwind" means different things to different people. To me the King is no substitute for a "door" in what I define as "lightwind".

To me the King is a good board for "lower wind" which can kick up into "normal wind" and even a little bit of "higher than normal wind". In the "higher" wind, the King is controllable and even fun, because it has a tail that you can dig in, and because the concave smooths out the chop.

If your definition of "low wind" is the kind of wind where the kite has to be kept moving, so that it does not fall out of the sky, then the King is not the board for your needs...the only twintip that will be useful in those "low wind" conditions is a door. There is a world of difference between the King and the Door in those conditions.

Also, if you kite in shallow water (1 foot or less) during your "low wind" kiting, the King is nowhere near as good as a Door (without fins), because the King comes off a plane more quickly and sinks, and trips you...whereas the Door stays on a plane a few seconds longer, and when the Door hits the bottom, it is not so disastrous, because you can "snow-plow" the board back up to the surface, by using the long flat side-edge of the board.

I like the King, but to me its special features come into play, when taking the board into high wind with a small kite (9M), or in waves, as a substitute for a surfboard. It is a nicely balanced board, as evidenced by the fact that when the board sinks below the surface in a big lull, the board is very controllable, and comes back up to the surface smoothly. The King has a very "loose" feel for a big heavy board, and performs much better than the other 2 big boards I have ridden (170cm+). The flex is just right, the rocker is just right, and the concave is just right.

But it is not anywhere near the "ultra-low wind" that the Spleene Door is (159cm).

You need both.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 pm

I think kitezilla is spot on with his take on the king. 8)

michaelt
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby michaelt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey there,

Thanks all !
About the high end - no limit. I rode yesterday at the upper range of my 7m (around 30mph, gusting to 35mph), holding the edge was perfect.

I can't really compare it to the Door. But I agree it probably doesn't substitute it. However, Mako King is a lot of fun with smaller kite. I am 160lb and ride my 7m when it's as low as 15mph - something I couldn't do with my previous Mako 150.

When I ride my 12m my jumps are better than ever. I have never jumped that high before. So it feels as if the wind is stronger, but at the same time you are not overpowered. Or maybe because it holds the edge better through the chop, too.

I ride it in the mutant mode only - that's where the board really shines. You would never have that much fun with the Door.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 pm

While the King is not a " dedicated " light wind board, it does work very well for this purpose and in my opinion, is a lot more fun than something that you can't really carve or jump...... :thumb: I find the King the most fun strapless with the full size deck pad.....it's super easy to gybe yet feels pretty small and nimble. Just for kicks I took a King out in about15mph last summer with a 7m Rise and was able to easily work my way upwind (I weigh 155 lbs). In San Diego's notoriously light winds we have 200lbs + riders using the King with big kites in the surf, having a blast......it's a great alternate to a surf or skimboard. Contact one of our retailers for a demo, or order one up - we're confident you'll be stoked!

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuit
s

Performance over Hype

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 pm

For me the LIGHTWAVE WING is the board for light wind and handles the chop very well. Have ridden side by side to a Door with same sails and the WING does not dig a tip in and flexes real well. The WING is a lighter board and jumps better and carves upwind real good with the shape. Check it out on their website.

dobiewan
Frequent Poster

Postby dobiewan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:04 am

Hey Evan - where can I get the full deck pad and for how much?
Ken

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 am

dobiewan wrote:Hey Evan - where can I get the full deck pad and for how much?
Ken
Ken, MSRP is $75 USD, and you can order it from any one of our retailers:

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/dealer ... d-a-dealer

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuit

Performance over Hype

Return to “Kitesurfing”