Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Style: Surf style
Gear: Jimmy Lewis custom KT kitesurfboard, Epic kites, HQ kites, Eclipse kites
Brand Affiliation: Virginia Power Kites, Epic, HQ, Eclipse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wakekiting

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 4:51 pm

I am a member of the USHPA and have a P1 certification. My instructor was Benoit Bruneau of Let's Go Paragliding. I performed more than 25 flights from the training hill in one day, mostly forward launches, but some reverse launches. I did practice a lot before my P1 certification because I had one lesson learning powered paragliding. I decided that I didn't like powered paragliding because the motor is so heavy and expensive. So, I practiced the forward launch a lot before the one day introductory lesson. At first, Benoit wasn't sure if I had the skill, but later in the evening, I did a lot of forward launches and a few reverse launches. You do reverse launches the most when the wind is strong. It is a lot easier. Forward launches are harder because you can't see the paraglider.
This was a month before my certification:

Anyway, I felt kiteboarding skills helped me a lot because I knew about keeping tension on the lines (even though it didn't look like it in my video that I posted).
All the best

Raphael
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach, VA

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 9:05 pm

I am getting the new Airshot 9 m soon. I am looking forward to it because it will add something new. Has anyone tried out the Airshot 9 m? I know one person said he did wakekiting.

Raphael
Medium Poster

RE: Chris

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 pm

P1= beginner paraglider basic ground handling skills, forward and reverse launches from training hill, passed P1 written exam
differences between paragliding and kiting: launching a paraglider is much harder because you have to run directly into the wind, otherwise the paraglider will be off balance. Reverse launching is easier if you know how to turn the right way. You face the wind when you do a forward launch, so a reverse launch is more similar to kiting, at least initially.
Similarities: a kiteboarder knows how to maintain tension on the lines. When you paraglide from a training hill, you need to lean forward. It is counterintuitive, but the best way to complete a launch from a hill is to lean forward like you are going to fall. The tension on the lines will make you glide. Then, you have to flare before you land.
A paraglider has A, B, C, and D risers. The A risers are like the lines to the leading edge of a kite. The brake lines are at the trailing edge of a paraglider, and kites have brake lines, too.
I am sure you already know this, but don't make baseless accusations about others because I do have a P1 certification, which is not much in the world of paragliding.

Raphael
Medium Poster

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 10:37 pm

There is no harness in wakekiting. I think someone asked about that.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 am

You said you learned to paraglide in a day, I doubted it.
Does not sound baseless, sounds like you forgot to mention you worked at launches for a month before that "first day".
I am better informed now.

It looks/sounds like you have all the desire in the world to keep progressing in your desire to be an expert level kiteboarder that can one day be a trusted, experienced teacher.
It just looked like (from your video) and sounded like you were in a hurry and a bit ahead of yourself.
I'm not the only one who got that impression so forgive me for doubting you but most folks that seek lessons probably want to be impressed with an instructors skills before they put their lives in his/her hands.
In Corpus Christi, the shop owner that rides better than everyone else and and fixes / sews kites for shops all over the country and is a paraglider pilot and a powered paraglider pilot and a beast with a buggy, is also the guy that sells a lot of gear and does a lot of lessons. The other guy who is a windsurfer and didn't impress anyone on any level, went out of business.

Raphael
Medium Poster

Postby Raphael » Fri May 14, 2010 1:02 pm

I understand what you are saying, but I've been power kiting for years. In Virginia Beach, I gave a lesson to one man who learned how to body drag and fly all different size kites. One of the more experienced guys who kites there didn't say a word. Why? Because I focused on kite skills and had my student learn them before he got into the water. He first started with a small trainer kite. If I had been doing something wrong, he (Glenn) would have noticed. I know that there are many instructors who get people in the water before they understand the power of a big kite. I always have my students learn on a kite buggy first with a 3 meter kite when it is low tide (or they go to a park). They can practice going upwind with a kite buggy. They learn to fly smaller kites first and then progress. I understand your concerns but there are a lot of haters on this forum. I've seen a lot of people get trashed and my suspicion is that some people are just posting negative stuff because they feel insecure themselves. Another point is that I was pretty underpowered in the videos I placed on this site. I don't know any kiteboarder who can concentrate on parking a kite when the wind is inconsistent and underpowered. I brought some of this criticism on myself by exposing myself on this forum, and that is one of the dangers of the Internet. On the other hand, to be positive, I've learned from this experience and people's comments. I'm taking the PASA course next week, and I don't imagine I will have any problems. I don't think I will go out of business or cause a commotion like you suggested because I concentrate on safety. I have a test on my website (www.virginiapowerkites.com) that I make students take. Check it out and let me know if it contains any challenging questions. :D I am sure it would be a breeze for you. I also noticed that some kiteboarders think that kite buggying requires no skills, but it really does require some skill and is an excellent training tool. Anyway, I don't have anything to prove to the haters on this forum, and I am not including you and others who just gave constructive criticism in the group of haters. :D

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Raphael,

I didn't get to see the videos of you kiting, did you take them down?

I kite at Virginia Beach, and I think we met once at the oceanfront around 25th street.

You say on your site, "At Virginia Power Kites, we want to work in harmony with the Virginia Beach kiteboarding community to avoid having the sport banned." However I don't think I've ever seen you post on the local community board (VAKB group on yahoo if you're interested), and most people around here have never met or heard of you until this school/store popped up. It's making people a little worried to say the least. We have our annual safety meeting coming up on May 20th. Probably would be a good idea to come down and meet everyone.

Also, are you teaching lessons at the oceanfront and Sandbridge? It says right on your site (in the information which I believe was taken from the VAKB site) that these areas are for intermediate to advanced riders only.

Don't mean to be too critical, we're just all worried about access.

-Dave

Raphael
Medium Poster

Postby Raphael » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Dave,
I kite at VA Beach all the time. I'm surpised you don't know about me from the other guys, Glenn and others. I got my PASA certification in May. You shouldn't worry so much.I help the other guys out landing their kites and have gone riding with them.
I am a pretty low key guy, so some probably don't know me by name.
I usually give beginner lessons in Sandbridge.
Talk to Erin or any of the other guys, they've seen me kiting.
I don't really teach much in VA Beach during the season, but if I did, it would be on 88th street away from the crowds. I kitesurf all year round. Anyone who learns from me learns self-rescue and learns in the water.
I have good kite control skills and also do kite landboarding and snow kiting as well as kite buggy. PASA is a good organization, and Chris Moore started kiteboarding in the 1990s (he was my PASA examiner).

Raphael
Medium Poster

Postby Raphael » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey, Dave, I couldn't attend the meeting because I was taking the PASA test then. I usually only teach in the North End of VA Beach or in Sandbridge where there are no crowds.
I understand and share your legit concerns about safety.
I probably saw you last time when there was wind at the beach.
Maybe we can do a downwinder sometime.
I used to ride the Neo a lot, but now I've been riding RRD's Obsession 12m and Best 9 and 7 m kites, as well as C kites.
I only teach with the newer kites though.

Raphael
Medium Poster

Postby Raphael » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 pm

As for the videos, yes, I took them down. I have better ones, but I need to take the time to make the entire video. It is hard for me to do that because I don't have a good camera, and every time I jump, I am too far away from the beach for a good quality picture. Also, I don't have good video editing software (too much time to make a video).
Maybe it is time to invest in a better camera :D
I will have some better pics sometime.
:thumb: Here is one video, but it isn't anything special. Lately, the wind has not been blowing very strong. In this video, I was slightly underpowered w/ 9m Best C-kite:
All the best.

Return to “Kitesurfing”