Forum for kitesurfers
marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2010 Evo - 3 month review

Postby marshall10488 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Flying characteristics - when i first flew the 9m Evo i was not impressed at all it seemed that everything that was good about the 2009 9m had ben removed and nothing added but after a few more tries realised it was just not being used to how the kite flys. Turing speed is fast if fractionally unresponsive to start with but still good. loops are better then last year, it has more grunt in the loop. speed throught he air has increased, i think due to the slight increase in AR (least i think it has increased. the kites fit in the back of the van easier then the 2009s lol). nice pop and a great all round kite. i have no problems at all with how the kite flys. also the 12m is much bette and flys much more like the 9m then last years 12m did with its 9m friend the only problem is build quality.
Build quality - shocking!
1. when the kite is crashed hard the valve stopper pops out which is not a problem appart from unlike last year where the stopper was integrated to a thin piuece of webbing to stop it flying away this year, since they have doubled over the velcro it only goes through a hole in the velcro strap which breaks very easily so that the stopper can fly off when it pops out.
2. strut zips dont fit together so they rip open when the struts are inflated.
3. stiching on the LE right at the middle tends to have been missed in a couple places
4. 12m bag is too small to fit the kite in with the struts inflated

Bar. amazing, i love it. the new iron heart system is fantastic after having my hand ripped open realseing someone elses for them a few years ago the new reverse locking pin is a break through and i think the best system available. the suicide/safety leasing system integrating the chicken loop to allow you to ride suicide but still have a safety system is great. grip is nice and comfortable

MFG
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2010 Evo - 3 month review

Postby MFG » Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 am

Strange review... we did not have the same comments from the riders in our spot. Actually, this year after 6 months of riding 2010 gear, the dealer is sold out.

Our spot is AVERAGE 25 knots and makes its way to the 35 knots on most days.

Non of the leading edges had a pop, a valve open etc...
Non of the guys cut their hands b/c of the bar.
A C company rider got the EVO 10 and came back with a big smile, I gonna tock to North.
A female with an S company old kite, got EVO 9 and 6m and she has a wide smile on her face since January.
A rider with an N company old kite lost his old LE in two pieces and he is on Vegas 9 and EVO 7 and swares with the performance and quality although he is a hardcore unhooked most of riding.
A rider with an N company strange shaped old kite got an EVO 9 and came back yesterday saying, man this kite doesn't fall down when you messa jump. It stays up and the wind carries it forward.
A hardcore waverider that changed from an R company old kite into EVO 9 sold all hole quiver and bought another 6.

Our input from the riders. North rocks......

MFG

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 am

Had wainman Rabbits for 20 months which I loved, got on a 9m Evo and was blown away, changed my Rabbits, to 12/9/7 Evos. Super smooth, constant power through the turn, ultra stable and great low end, but good depower at the bar. I ride strapless and think the smoothness is a big plus, though feels like it would jump really well too.

Mike

vasco
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vasco » Mon May 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I haven't tried 2010, but I would make stock of 09 Evos for life if I could.
I own a quiver (9m,7m,6m), the only one I think could improve a bit is the 9m,
the others are the best kites I've ever flown.
Only ride waves.

Best winds :thumb:

hectortarifa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Arte Vida, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Windy ones....thanks
Style: waves
Gear: North Evo´s, Freestyle fish, Jaime pro M, surfboard 6'0

Postby hectortarifa » Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Vasco!!! im coming to Portugal next week... where you live? maybe you wanna try the new evos will come with 9-6 or 9-7-5 depend on forecast... will be south... remember that can be a problem then... you will renew for sure!!

Yes its true the quick release makes you a hole on the finger... I did a small video... you have it on you tube... but found out a solution --- be fast with your hand... think less and enjoy more!!

Yes its true the valve pops out... but that means you are smashing your kite reeeeaally hard... better that than ripping the tissue... at least for us in the school. wait to see the new valves... man thats fine piece of work...

Yes its true the zipper tends to open... every once in a while check they are well close...
Not one rip kite in 3,5 months teaching and renting them... for me thats a good job...

and YES its true lots of other brand riders are coming back to North... at least to Evos...

AHHH by the way people call me everyday to know when i´m selling the second hand kites from the school... amazing!!! pacience please or go for new one´s...

Good winds

vasco
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vasco » Mon May 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi hector

If you´re coming to Portugal, you'll find me in Guincho (nice waves and strong wind).
You should bring your 7m, the kite we ride 90% of the time.
The Evos 10 are already flying here, this is the first year I will not upgrade my quiver, I love
my 09's and has I said before I mainly ride my 7m beauty.
I've finally found the kite I needed, now the point is improve my riding not my kites.
I will give the 10 a go one day, but I'm sure it won't change my mind.

Best winds :thumb:

rjgf
Frequent Poster

Postby rjgf » Tue May 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Got one Evo 10m (10), and it's excelent!!!

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't favorite any kite company, probably all doing their best but sorry I don't like pimping of the gear where it lacks the most - quality.

I have a pro repair loft and sadly I can confirm only one thing - I do repairs on NORTH gear the most!

Their material and build quality simply sucks. They do the same mistakes year by year (there are only few small stuff they did in the positive direction) - stiching on the LE (wingtip the most), exploding struts, delaminating valves, huge canopy LE to TE tears,... and I've repaired 2010 Evo's too.

I did some huge repairs on F-One Bandit 1 too, but at least they've learned on the next year model.

I'm talking only regarding quality, not about performance, safety etc... quality only, nothing else.

M2C :bye:
MFG wrote:Strange review... we did not have the same comments from the riders in our spot. Actually, this year after 6 months of riding 2010 gear, the dealer is sold out.

Our spot is AVERAGE 25 knots and makes its way to the 35 knots on most days.

Non of the leading edges had a pop, a valve open etc...
Non of the guys cut their hands b/c of the bar.
A C company rider got the EVO 10 and came back with a big smile, I gonna tock to North.
A female with an S company old kite, got EVO 9 and 6m and she has a wide smile on her face since January.
A rider with an N company old kite lost his old LE in two pieces and he is on Vegas 9 and EVO 7 and swares with the performance and quality although he is a hardcore unhooked most of riding.
A rider with an N company strange shaped old kite got an EVO 9 and came back yesterday saying, man this kite doesn't fall down when you messa jump. It stays up and the wind carries it forward.
A hardcore waverider that changed from an R company old kite into EVO 9 sold all hole quiver and bought another 6.

Our input from the riders. North rocks......

MFG

Return to “Kitesurfing”