CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Ocean Rodeo Predator

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 am

Minnow wrote:Got mine this week.
Both drycore and skin are XL
I am 5' 11", 198lbs (90kgs), I have 36 waist, 44 chest and 49 around the shoulders.
The XL drycore has plenty of room and fits nicely. The skin goes on ok but feels a little tight.
I am going to try the XXL skin before I decide. A little more room might be nice.
The skin is very strong so I doubt if it would loosen with wear.
The whole setup is very well made.
OR's sizing chart is here.
http://oceanrodeo.com/drysuits/surfdry#tprod_sizes
Yeah, I saw that chart, but wasn't sure about the Predator.

Do they have a separate L and XL or is yours a combined L/XL? Either way, based on your report I guess I'd be fine with the combined one if that's how they roll. Thanks.

Minnow
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Galway, Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Dooks, Kerry, Ireland. Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. Sunset Beach, Oahu. Nobbies Beach, NSW. The Lagoons, Fuerteventura.
Style: doggie
Gear: F-One Swing 5mtr. Mako King
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Minnow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 pm

Capt.
My drycore is XL and I looked at the skin and its L/XL sure enough not XL
so that does not tally with their sizing chart.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Finally got my suit. Very comfortable. Takes twice as long to put on but I hope it's worth it in the water. (haven't kited with it yet). I'm 6'2" 180lbs and needed to get an XL for the length as they don't offer an LT. I ordered XL on both pieces. The core came in listing itself as "XL" the skin said "L/XL" It fits fine.

For such an expensive suit it is very hard to find consistent size charts for it on the internet and it doesn't come with any literature. Actually, it has a Pyro hangtag attached to it. Shit, for the price, it should ship with the little asian woman who sewed it together to help you put it on. :)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Captain, I truly appreciate your business and your comments and am sorry to have confused you a bit. Here's an explanation, I hope it helps!
CaptainArgh wrote:Thank you!!! I eyed this suit up for purchase last winter but found it was unavailable after OR's big marketing pitch on the new suit, which was odd.
We are a company entirely driven by innovation and rider feedback and rely on both to continue to grow and respond to customer needs. Our manufacturing facilities are overseas and at times we are beholden to their own limitations. The early push on the suit was in anticipation of availability but our supplier delayed our 1st shipment by a number of months on us. I am sorry. Now that they are in stock and rolling though there will not be any more delays in availability!
CaptainArgh wrote:Okay, now a question FOR an Ocean Rodeo rep.

What sizing is available?

I see some websites listing ...M, MT, L, LT, XXL, etc...
And others just list 4 sizes for the Predator. XXS/XS, S/M, L/XL, XXL/XXXL!
The Predator evolved out of what was the Pyro Surf. That suit came in only 4 sizes which were a blended size run of 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL and 2XL/3XL

Over the time since that Pyro Surf went into production we spent a lot of time working directly with the factory on a ton of different prototypes. Different skin constructions, different bladder layouts and styles, all in the quest to perfect the fit and feel of the suit while maximizing mobility.

Late in this process we decided we had to introduce a 5th size into the line up. We had sample suits out locally with a number of different sized riders pursuing different sports, from Surfing to SUPing to Kiting to Windsurfing to all of the above. The feedback we got was that we needed a 5th size and we needed to allow the customers to buy the Drycore and the Skin in different sizes depending on their sport and their size.

The result of this was that - unfortunately - we had a size run of the skins come in labelled in the older style of only 4 sizes. Here's how it breaks down now:

S = old 2XS/XS
M = old S/M
L = new size all together
XL = old L/XL
2XL = old 2XL/3XL

You can see a complete size chart for the Heat Underwear, Drycore and Predator Skin listed here.
CaptainArgh wrote:Finally got my suit. Very comfortable. Takes twice as long to put on but I hope it's worth it in the water. (haven't kited with it yet). I'm 6'2" 180lbs and needed to get an XL for the length as they don't offer an LT. I ordered XL on both pieces. The core came in listing itself as "XL" the skin said "L/XL" It fits fine.

For such an expensive suit it is very hard to find consistent size charts for it on the internet and it doesn't come with any literature. Actually, it has a Pyro hangtag attached to it. Shit, for the price, it should ship with the little asian woman who sewed it together to help you put it on. :)
Again, the initial size run came according to our 1st expectations of only 4 sizes, your skin is the size you ordered however, it is simply labelled under the old system.

As for the hang tag on the suit, we will now be including this manual with all of our suits, I suggest you download it but if you want me to mail you a physical copy please just email me with your mailing address.

The Donning and Doffing process takes time to get good at but with time I find I can be into and out of a Predator almost as fast as my wetsuits. You can read more on the Donning process here. That page also includes a link to the manual I mention above, a Donning Video on YouTube and a guide to properly fit your latex seals.

If you have any other questions our customer support lines are open 8-5 PST, 888-544-4969.

Again, thank-you for your interest in the suit! I expect you will love it!

John Z - Ocean Rodeo.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:09 am

ORSales wrote:Late in this process we decided we had to introduce a 5th size into the line up. We had sample suits out locally with a number of different sized riders pursuing different sports, from Surfing to SUPing to Kiting to Windsurfing to all of the above. The feedback we got was that we needed a 5th size and we needed to allow the customers to buy the Drycore and the Skin in different sizes depending on their sport and their size.
I should perhaps better explain that statement.

Generally speaking customers will want to buy the same size Drycore as Predator Skin for their Surf Dry suits. However, there will be times that they may want to mix and match on sizes, as such we allow stores to order the Skin and the Core separately (for the same combined "Complete" cost of a suit).

We have found that some tall and particularly skinny riders will prefer to buy a core in one size and a skin one size larger to accommodate their height. Similarly, for riders who are going to use the suit to kiteboard or SUP and not specifically surf they may choose a larger skin to allow the suit to fit slightly more loosely, seeing as they won't be duck diving the suit and are therefore less concerned about trapped air.

Ultimately, if you have the opportunity through your local retail outlet the best thing to do is to 1st size and fit the Heat under layer, next try on and fit the Drycore to ensure a full range of motion and finally size the skin.

For customers who lack this retail opportunity I encourage you to both contact a local Surf or Kite shop to encourage them to take a line of our suits on and to call us up directly at 888-544-4969 to allow us to walk you through your options and help you purchase a suit that will fit your body size and riding goals.

John Z - OR

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:59 am

Long story short as the labelling confuses the hell out of me and I sell them......either contact us directly or your preferred retailer and give us your height and weight and we'll make sure you get what you need. :thumb:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Two days ago I used my Predator in air temps of 2 degrees celcius with a wind chill of -5 and was super toasty. In fact, after multiple trips into the water head first my hair was still dry.

I only got cold when I changed into normal street clothes to pack up.

Little uninspiring video attached

Brad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPm3Wt1_SA

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:07 pm

6' & 210lbs, I needed to mix sizes for my body type.
I have a 56" chest.
I ended up getting the perfect fit with an XL core and XXL outer layer.
The XL neoprene was a bit snug under the arms with my 56" chest, and it looked to me like it would not really loosen up with use, its tough inside and out with bomber seams.
I haven't used it in really cold conditions yet, but was pretty impressed with how it kept me from overheating in mild mid 50's stuff....and no moisture in the suit at all!
This breathable dry core stuff is amazing, and feels so much better than rubber, you can't go wrong with any of OR's suits IMO. 8)

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:27 am

ORSales wrote:Captain, I truly appreciate your business and your comments and am sorry to have confused you a bit. Here's an explanation, I hope it helps!

John Z - Ocean Rodeo.
MUCH appreciated, John! Thanks for the great feedback. :thumb:

Well, sounds like in the end I got the correct size!

Minnow
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Galway, Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Dooks, Kerry, Ireland. Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. Sunset Beach, Oahu. Nobbies Beach, NSW. The Lagoons, Fuerteventura.
Style: doggie
Gear: F-One Swing 5mtr. Mako King

Postby Minnow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Minnow wrote:Got mine this week.
Both drycore and skin are XL
I am 5' 11", 198lbs (90kgs), I have 36 waist, 44 chest and 49 around the shoulders.
The XL drycore has plenty of room and fits nicely. The skin goes on ok but feels a little tight.
I am going to try the XXL skin before I decide. A little more room might be nice.
The skin is very strong so I doubt if it would loosen with wear.
The whole setup is very well made.
OR's sizing chart is here.
http://oceanrodeo.com/drysuits/surfdry#tprod_sizes
I settled for the larger 2XXL/3XXL outer.
Its way more comfortable than the XL and still neat.
If I was surfing only I might have stuck with the XL
Didn't get a chance to try it out yet.
It does take a bit of time to put on
but like anything it will get easier with practice.
You're only talking about a couple of extra minutes

The above size should have read 2XL/3XL ^^
Last edited by Minnow on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”