kitefix
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: KiteFix
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

KiteFix's GluFix vs Seam Grip®

Postby kitefix » Mon May 31, 2010 9:39 pm

There has been some talk in the market place about GluFix being simply a private label version of Seam Grip® and we want to make things clear. Simply put this is not the case. Seam Grip® is a great product for what it is made for, namely sealing seams on tents and the like. I have used it on my tent and it works well, but it is not the same as GluFix and is not made to fix your kite. Seam Grip® is almost liquid in consistency and takes anywhere from 8-12 hours minimum to dry (more depending on humidity).

GluFix is formulated for kite repairs to dry fast, be applied easily and quickly, resist UV and be water proof. GluFix applies easily, does not run and dries in 30 minutes to approximately 90% strength. Kite canopy repairs up to 2 feet can easily be made with GluFix and FiberFix within 30 minutes and under 4 feet within one hour.

We welcome you to compare the two products side by side. We are sure you will find the same thing we have already found….that when it comes to saving sessions, and your kite, GluFix is the choice. Don’t be fooled by other companies lies, cheap imitations and promises of money saved. KiteFix products have been field tested around the world for over seven years. Trust your DYI products to those who specialize in DYI Permanent Kite Repair Products...the name says it all...

KiteFix

P.S. Sorry for pimping our products...we don't like to do this on public forums but we do feel the need to stand up for ourselves when other companies spread lies about our products.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor '12, 10, 7 & 5m, Flite '12 15m.
Flysurfer Soul 10m, 12m & 6m.
North X-Ride 129x38
Naish Custom Wave Global 5.7
Nobile Skim
Nobile Zen & Infinity Split
Dynabar
BGD Cure M
Niviuk Zion 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: KiteFix's GluFix vs Seam Grip®

Postby Janus » Mon May 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Pimping a working product is fine by me, I never go on a trip without a full package of Kitefix and some spare valves... you just never know..

Btw nice vid about the blowout.
How exactly did you repair the LE? got some pics how you did it? (a vid would be perfect..)

kitefix
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: KiteFix

Postby kitefix » Mon May 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks for the comments Janus,

Check out the video section of our website, tutorial #2. This shows how we do a leading edge repair. We also have this detailed in our instructions which can be downloaded from the KiteFix Complete Kit Products page, download tab here:
http://www.kitefix.com/catalog/instruct ... Manual.pdf

Thanks again for the support!

KiteFix

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Mon May 31, 2010 10:33 pm

credit where its due... Kite fix is simply numero uno for DIY repairs and a must for any kite trip.

Keep it up chaps. The improvements made to the latest box are great too.

From DBINIT

a happy reseller for kitefix..

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:01 am

Janus wrote:Pimping a working product is fine by me, I never go on a trip without a full package of Kitefix and some spare valves... you just never know..

Btw nice vid about the blowout.
How exactly did you repair the LE? got some pics how you did it? (a vid would be perfect..)
My sentiments exactly. I've used Kitefix to repair some fairly major tears on 2 kites, and several minor "maintenance" type repairs...all holding strong for over a year, no signs of breaking down. Kitefix is so simple and easy to use, repair can be completed in an hour or so...it's a great piece of insurance if you are travelling or even riding at you local spot

I never go anywhere without a repair kit. Pretty cool that BEST is now supplying Kitefix kits with their 2010 kites.

:thumb: to the makers of Kitefix

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 am

Scattered across the earth, there are smelly little factories that make polyurethane and urethane adhesives that stay flexible after curing.

These companies sell their products in drums to outfits like Seam-Grip, Aquaseal, and more than likely, Kite-fix.
It's not all the same stuff, but the sticky glue products of all are about 99.999% the same.

Now there is a seam SEALER product with the Seam Grip brand, that is true.
It is not glue.
Everyone should know this. It even say so on the package, as I recall!

There is also a Seam Grip glue for repairing seams or tears in heavy material.
This is their product that works for kite repairs, wetsuit repairs, shoes, etc.
It works very well, in fact.
It is basically identical to the similar products marketed by other companies, which also work very well.
I buy whatever brand is available where I am, and suggest other kiters do the same.
I do have a preference for the sewing store where it is cheaper than a kite store!

SHORT VERSION: the brands are all good, just know what product you are getting before you shell out!

mo'wind
Frequent Poster

Postby mo'wind » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 am

BWD Well said!! I would add that the the tape is just a type of drywall tape available anywhere. But thamks Kitefix for discovering this type of repair kit.

Note to Pimps, we are not all fools.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 am

I find GlueFix to be pretty similar to ShoeGoo2. But I am using GlueFix and love my kite-fix kit. Its a great kit and fits well in the car, and its nice to have everything I need.

Jake

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:57 am

spent years filling my skate shoes with shoe goo, amazing stuff if you don't inhale one bit of the fumes

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am

Something I never understood: If someone speaks up and says that a product works really well does that automatically mean they are a "pimp"?

I wonder how that "rule" applies for example to a thread about "a new brand of kite" that has 50+ pages of people supporting the product, including the product owner?

Just wondering who writes the rules about "pimping" and what are they exactly?

For the record - I have no ownership or investment interest in Kitefix, but I just think it's a great product from direct personal experience. As basic as the items in the kit are it seems like Kitefix is the only one to have tested the materials and packaged them nicely for people who might want/need something like this. The glue is the real key to the quality of this product and it is different than other adhesive - especially since it is fully cured and ready to use in 1 hr. If it took longer than that to cure it could be a real hassle keeping the kite layed out waiting for it to dry.

There are some repairs that might be worth the time and expense of a machine sewn kite repair (usually $100-$200 b the time you factor in shipping cost - plus 1-2 weeks downtime). But in many kite repair situations I would say that Kitefix would do as good of a job for a fraction of the cost ($20-30) and less than 2 hrs time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”