Forum for kitesurfers
nomorebikinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is best option: self launch yr kite or ask a passer-by

Postby nomorebikinis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:15 pm

I m so often in a situation that there is no experienced kiter to help me land or launch. Everyone is already out on the water. I always see boys at my local beach self land or launch their old kites just by turning the kite on the leading edge over the sand across the power zone to the right and up with a strong pull. Looks good. What is saver: ask my teacher to teach me self land/launch or continue asking un experienced passers-by to launch my kite (and YES I know knitting is saver than kiting :cry: )

skiyak777
Medium Poster

Re: What is best option: self launch yr kite or ask a passer

Postby skiyak777 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Self launch every time. No telling what a passerby will do, but most likely they will let the kite blow over and get tangled in the lines.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Never ask a casual beachgoer to help you. Most people don't have any concept of aerodynamics and don't know what position the kite should be in. If you fly a bow kite, self launching is not difficult and much safer. If you can, you can anchor your kite to a fixed object (vehicle, tree, post, etc.) with a rope and a caribiner. Just hook the caribiner to your chicken loop, go set the kite in the launch position on the wingtip. It should just sit there (it might bounce a little, but that's ok). Go back to the bar, transfer the chicken loop to your harness hook, grab the bar and launch as you normally would. It's not difficult and won't damage your kite as much as the other method you described.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 am

Get your teacher to show you self landing, its easy, especially with a 5 line kite.

Just remember though, if its windy, look downwind of yourself to check it's clear and just punch out, any modern kite will do it safely and if it's not clear, do it in the water and walk up your lines to recover the kite and walk in! Easy as that!!!

Most passer-by are very willing but have no idea and can grab the wrong point, maybe even sending the kite into a loop, then you have your hands full, so don't do it.

good luck,

Robbie

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 am

Self-launch even when there are experienced kites around - ever had someone try to land your arc when they've had nothing but tube experience? Scary :lol:

dobiewan
Frequent Poster

Postby dobiewan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:26 am

I knew a guy who almost died when he asked a passer-by to land his kite (in an impending emergency situation). The guy grabbed the kite, and then let it go - re-launching the kiter before he could react. Never depend on someone who can't possibly understand the situation - launching or landing.
Ken

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loeuftok » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:00 am

if you have to ask a passer by, there is only one option.
prepare the kite in launching position, tell the passer by where he/she have to hold the kite and wait to see your thumb up and then only let go.
ask him/her to repeat your instruction.
when you are sure that it's fully understood, run to your bar get ready and show your thumb up.

but it would also be a good idea to get your instructor to teach you self launching and landing

good winds to all

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 am

You must must must learn to self-launch and land. If you can't do it then you really don't understand how you gear works and you are making life very dangerous for yourself.

It's obviously better to get help from and experienced kiter to launch and land, but having the skill to do it yourself is essential.

Aside from being able to do it yourself, you gain the skills and understanding to recover from any situation that your kite might get into. Short of total failure of the control systems you can recover from anything your kite might do, or anything an ignorant helper might cause. You won't need to ask a spectator for help but if you do, you can recover from anything they might do.

Get some instruction on the basics then do a heap of practice on a lighter wind day until you can do it effortlessly.

Self-landing is not simply dumping the kite onto the safety leash. It is a controlled and easy landing of the kite so it stays where you put it. The safety leash is just a backup. You can do it in any winds.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:30 am

kiteanchor.com I use these with my school and they work all the time.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:34 am

Another vote for self landing and self launching over asking a passer-by.

You can do it.... you are.... NoMoreBikinis! Super-kiter.
:thumb:

I self launch using the anchor approach. Tie a line to tree root, and hook the chicken loop to the line, set the kite on it's side, walk back and hook in. But I'm game to do the pull on the correct back line and have the kite catch the wind. Self-landing is easier. You can land it gracefully, or do the, "fly it down to the beach at the edge of the wind window, and do a quick release of the chicken loop" and let your safety de-power do its thing.

Best would be your idea, get your instructor to give you a special lesson on self-launching and self-landing. Tell him/her, that's all you want to practuce for a half-hour or so.

Return to “Kitesurfing”