Forum for kitesurfers
aetos1986
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2008 liquid force bar,changing depower line

Postby aetos1986 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I own a Liquid Force Hovoc 2008 kite (16m). Some days before I decided to change the depower line. After struggling with the rope, i finally put out of the chicken loop the old depower line. After that I tried to put the new one in the hole of the chicken loop but I couldn't succeeded. The hole in the chicken loop is very small and I don't know how to put inside of it the new rope... Has anyone replaced the depower line on 2008 or 2009 LF bar? I think the depower line just can't be replaced!!! :evil: :evil: So, why the hell they sell a depower rope separately if it can't be replaced???

Do you have any suggestions?

One solution of course is to upgrade to the 2010 CPR. Other cheaper solution?

Konza
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!

Re: 2008 liquid force bar,changing depower line

Postby Konza » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Can be done but it's way easier with a original replacement rope which is sewed at the one end.
Otherwise tape one end and put some stable wires through it with a needle. Then pull the rope with the wires through the hole of the chickenloop.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Yeah I've done it, and it can be done, although they don't last very long.

aetos1986
Rare Poster

Postby aetos1986 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:28 pm

It was really taught but I did it!! :D In my opinion this system sucks, I hope the 2010 LF bar it's better. Thanks for your help!

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:10 am

Not a very good control system. I've got two of them and I've changed depower rope 6mon ago on one of them.

I also had to sand down the center hole because the plastic insert came unglued. If you aren't paying attention that plastic piece can fall off and the bar will eat your depower rope in a matter of minutes.

Be careful with the QR on that chickenloop, the red plastic sleeve on my CL fell off during my last session and I lost it :( The bungee must have snapped. It's not like I used my QR that much either, I usually just unhook to deploy the 5th line. To finish my session I wrapped duck tape around where the plastic sleeve goes, no QR for that last hour. I had a spare one, is another story in itself, which I put on today.

Also the pulley is to small for the rope. Buy a new rope with a slightly smaller diameter. I replaced the pulley on mine the same time I replaced the rope. That pulley wasn't much good.

I wrapped about 3" of the end of the new depower rope with some sticky back dacron tape. I used some tough nylon thread and made a loop at the end of the rope. I pulled the depower rope through by hooking a small rope to the nylon thread loop (wet the end with water and a bit of soap helps). I left nylon thread loop in just in case I had to replace something else on the system like the pulley.

Not a very good system. It doesn't last long the way it is. You have to rebuild it from scratch almost. Even the bar itself doesn't last, ie plastic insert.

aetos1986
Rare Poster

Postby aetos1986 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks a lot "frankm1960" for all the information! I agree that this bar isn't good and has a lot of problems. The width of the rope is for sure very big.. :-? This makes a lot of problems such as that the bar a lot of times doesn't move easily from one end to another. The clip for the depower rope isn't from a good metal and doesn't work efficiently :( Also sometimes a have to pull really hard the dopower rope to depower the kite... :evil: Furthermore the bar doesn't has a swivel!!!!! :x The kite in general is good but the bar sucks. I think this is the last summer that I own this LF kite. After summer I will sell it... North, Core, Ozone and Takoon are far better from Liquid Force... This is my personal opinion. The best bar that I have used is of course Core ESP bar. It's incredible! It's a unique bar. Just have a try :)

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:00 pm

I forgot to add that the original depower rope is to thick for the cleat, that's probably why it "sticks".

By chance the new rope I got was just a hair smaller and no more "sticking"... the cleat works way better with that size rope, no problems with it sticking at all like it did with the original rope. Also the new pulley/swivel I bought is way smoother than the original, well worth the expense and effort to get rid of the original.

For sure I won't be getting another when these wear out. I didn't know there would be a problem until after I got some hours on them. No complaints with the kite though, knock on wood :)

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 am

have had issues with changing depower ropes in the past.

What you got to do is get some dacron sail tape, should be supplied with kite, and wrap the end as tightly as possible for a about 2 inches. Make sure you have plenty of excess tape hanging off the end so that you can thread the rope and then pull the rope through the chicken loop.

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:54 am

I flew a 2011 LF kite and was very pleased with its performance.
Seemed to fly better than my 2010 Cult, which I like in the waves.

The 2011 LF bar appeared equal to bars from North or Naish.

What do you think of the 2011 bars?

clunk
Rare Poster

Postby clunk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:48 pm

i own liquid force 2008 hi fis 9 and 12
the bar is perfect i had no problem and i have bit the shit out of it and is still like new
the parts r like they will last forever and i use only one bar for the 2 kites and i have session like 4 times a week.
in my opinion aete u suck big!!
de ftei i liquid force pou eise esi asxetos re!

Return to “Kitesurfing”