Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

John Deere riding lawnmower cheaper than a kite!!

Forum for kitesurfers
driveonthebeach
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

John Deere riding lawnmower cheaper than a kite!!

Postby driveonthebeach » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Yesterday as I was walking into Lowe's (store like Home Depot), I happened to see some green and yellow John Deere riding lawnmowers sitting outside on display. The price tags on them were $1299, $1399 & $1499US. I got to thinking, How the hell can something so mechanical, with so many machined parts, metal, plastic, rubber......all this stuff that goes into making something so complicated as a riding lawnmower be cheaper than a new kite?
Isn't it mind-boggling? What is wrong here?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: John Deere riding lawnmower cheaper than a kite!!

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I would think a kite needs more manual work...a machine is just parts put together?

But would be interesting how much the comparison of the materials used would look like ;-)

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Kites cost three times what they should.
$499 for kites and $300 for boards is about right. :naughty:

Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Craz Z » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 pm

What a great question I find it absoulutely hilarious how unbalanced this world is. If you don't laugh you get mad and wanna break something.

Look at just about anything and ask why. Why does the poor farmer get .02 on the dollar and frito lay that makes the potatoe chips get the other .98$

Why does apple monopolize the mp3 player and phone market heck the whole tech market and everyone else sells theres at a fraction of the cost.

Why does cars cost 20,000 and one miniscule part for the car cost 5,000 dollars?

Why do surgeons get paid 300,000 a year and mechanics get 30,000 a year same profession really i guess the risk of life warrants 10-30 times more then the car even tho they use the same tools.

Look at bicycles. why is the pretty one at walmart 100$ with shimano and all the bells on it while the specialized starts at 500 for the same stuff. (not really but still you get the drift.) It says shimano it says mongoose or schwinn but it aint the real thing. Why are there 5,000$ pedal bikes?

It all boils down to simple economics supply and demand. Once the demand for kiting exceeds lets say 50-100 million kites per year watch out walmart will have kites for 99.99 and trainers for 9.99

Its still small even tho we think its growing and growing its not fast enough to really spit out the volume. Also once you get to the big time the suppliers are much more abundant keeping costs low. Kiting doesn't have that luxury yet. there are only a few players and patents that all the companies have to rely on.
Also its a demand sport its a buyers sport like paragliding you buy high and sell for nothing when that time comes.

The JD's at lowes aren't even real they just have green paint on them. A real JD costs about 5-8K for a regular mower. What you see isn't really what you get. Go to a farm dealer and see their tractors. Plus just so you know they problably make more tractors in 15 minutes then all the kite companies in the world could make in 10 years.

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Been thanked: 0

Postby ktouhey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:34 pm

...because the product itself is only a small part of everything that it takes to manufacture and put it in your hands.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:44 pm

ktouhey wrote:...because the product itself is only a small part of everything that it takes to manufacture and put it in your hands.
so your saying kites are more complicated then a lawn mower to put together. I doubt it.

Its all volume volume volume. less demand specialized market= high prices
Extreme demand generalized market=Low prices

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:50 pm

there are no pro lawnmowers! :wink:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:57 pm

I can buy a car with a 5 year warranty
Your lucky if your kite has a 3 month warranty

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Hey, it's true, kites are for the most part 1970's technology.
The price is high, because it's a toy.
Nobody needs it, so the question is how much will you pay for pleasure....
There is a lot of handwork in kites, and that is the other important part of it.
Sooner or later someone will figure out a different way to make them faster or cheaper and kill the category. For now, at least we have good kites.
Some day we may be able to get new kites for half the current price, but don't hold your breath!
And you can't loop a lawnmower!

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Toby wrote:there are no pro lawnmowers! :wink:
ha...ha... sure there are...
Riding mower racing :lol:

and professional mowers like this Lazer Z XS from eXmark, cut 72" wide at 12mph, turn on a dime, air-ride and cup holder. :) A buddy sells them and I remember thinking that is way more than my new car. :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”