Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shinn boards?

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:52 pm

-
Added to Kiteforum.tv -

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / Naish - Cult '10 13.5m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m / Eclipse -Thruster '08 14m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Nobile, Mystic, GK, Litewave, Flyboards, Ozone, Naish, Cabrinha, & More

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

The Monk is a sensational board - I have been in the industry for 12 years and I have never been so impressed with a twin tip before..

It's not a hardcore expert only board, or a "perfect conditions - perfect session" board, the most impressive thing about the Monk is just how good it is in the worst conditions possible.

In the most hidious chop, gustiest wind and most unfriendly surroundings, the speed, control and trust it bestows is truly remarkable.

and IMHO fins make no difference to upwind ability on twins.. that's mostly width and rocker...

Fingers crossed we get them in the UK in a week, and my riding will be all the more enjoyable for it.

kaje
Rare Poster

Postby kaje » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Has anybody tried the Monk and the Luigi back2back?

What's the difference in choppy conditions, gusty wind, low-end, jumping and easy landing?

Thanks

aTi
Rare Poster

Postby aTi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:24 pm

also interested by the differences between the monk and luigi. Obviously one is more freestyle oriented compared to the other one more freestyle. But if the monk is so good with chop, bad wind and still has the same upwind ability as the luigi ... I could be interested.

by the way what about the bottom of these boards: do they use a concave bottom, single, double, or anything else? On the pictures it seems pretty "flat"

nj2333
Rare Poster

Postby nj2333 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi,

I'd love to try out one of these boards, they look fantastic. Still i'll keep dreaming.
the wakeskate would be my fav..looks super fun.
Nick

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

kaje wrote:What's the difference in choppy conditions, gusty wind, low-end, jumping and easy landing?
If you are talking new luigi (as seen in the video) and the Monk, well the monk feels very similar but has more drive. When the power comes in and you push hard on the monk it drives; it has much more speed and power in marginal conditions. It may feel sharper and may be faster but the control is remarkable. You don't need a lot of wind to be a hooligan, and you have so much control that's what it keeps tempting you to be.. highly enjoyable.

The new Luigi by comparison is no where near as aggressive - while it shares the same rocker and feel as the monk it's much more sedate - push and it crabs a little more, it's very easy for those who just want total control - one of the least threatening boards I have ever ridden, control is almost too much for a more aggressive rider, but for a mainstream or timid freerider then it is so easy. (i'm quite an aggressive rider - I'll admit)

Compared to the first luigi both of these boards are MILES ahead in terms of control, although the original luigi was devastating upwind.. too much upwind ability - I rode it off the rail most of the time. The new boards have more than enough upwind ability though...

Choppy - both miles ahead of original luigi - monk has as much control as new luigi - but is more aggressive

Gusty - They both have excellent range - and control to soak up huge gusts... upwind - no issues, better than the majority of boards by far - certainly never felt like I ever hand to concentrate on upwind..

Low end - I would say new monk is better than new luigi, old luigi had a huge bottom end, but no where near the control at the top end.

Jumping - more controllable power held in the monk; by far the best jumping board by a mile.. the best high speed (old school) jumping twin I have ever used. Plenty of bite for pop too... perhaps not as much as the new player tho..

Landing - new monk and luigi even - both soft and easy - better than original luigi...
aTi wrote: Obviously one is more freestyle oriented compared to the other one more freestyle. But if the monk is so good with chop, bad wind and still has the same upwind ability as the luigi ... I could be interested.
If you have any aggression in your riding (freeride or freestyle) then Monk - Monk - Monk, it's so much fun and so easy..
aTi wrote:by the way what about the bottom of these boards: do they use a concave bottom, single, double, or anything else? On the pictures it seems pretty "flat"
Gradual, graded single concave; it runs almost the whole length of the board, only stopping where the tip really thins..

really guys.. in 12 years on the water this monk is the best twin I have ever ridden...by a long way, I'm itching to get mine.. leaving the factory today.

The player harder core - the luigi softer core - Monk is right in the middle with the best bits of both.. it's awesome!!!
Last edited by MikeBirt on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Why has the Monk got a picture of a Gorilla on it?

A gorilla isn't a monkey, or a Monk....

look nice though! :)

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Probably a question for Mr Shinn...

But I suspect that the answer would sound something like "does it matter?" :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”