Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Style: Wake, Wave, Skim
Gear: JN Kites and Boards
Brand Affiliation: JN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot 2011

Postby tino » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:10 am

As the SS dealer meeting has just happened can anyone at SS show the public and team riders the new gear? My boss doesn't get back into the office til tuesday.....

Keen to know what changes are on the Fuel and what the Lunacy and Darkside look like.

Have the SS bindings changed much?

Please help!!

Tino
www.martynbone.com

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Slingshot 2011

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 pm

GraemeF? Did you stay home this year?

What's the skiiny on the new gear. :thumb:

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:26 pm

i was there on Greames behalf, more info will be out soon,

highlights are the Rally, three strut delta C kite minimal bridle and no pullies, excellent lift and very manageable at the top end, slightly larger projected area size for size than the RPM.

the twin tips and the surfboards have a huge amout going for them, the twins are pretty much 1/4 kg lighter than before, all have fast track, Urathane rail that is fused to the core rather than stck on and is completely seamless better flex and durability than ABS and no joins to weaken unlike other Urathane rails, essentially a custom graphic so every board will be unique, all made in the USA, not just a China cheapy....chanels and concave on all of the performance boards, it really takes things forward! some very cool environmental changes to the production as well, stay tuned....

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Postby pndLA » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:18 pm

what about the turbine?

cap2core
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cap2core » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Specs on the wakestyle boards?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:45 am

Turbine or whatever it gets called is still in development, it is not being rushed out.

wake style boards, i geuss you mean the Darkside or the full wake range? either way have info that i will put up later as i am now running late for the office

tino
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bruce's Beach, Adelaide
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Style: Wake, Wave, Skim
Gear: JN Kites and Boards
Brand Affiliation: JN

Postby tino » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am

Think he means the Lunacy and Darko.

Whats the go with the Fuel? Is it going 3 strut? Please help...... Where is Shymac with the gossip

Stefanofly
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Stefanofly » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:14 am

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Postby pndLA » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:22 pm

the 5m fuel on the pic has only 3 struts...
wonder if they make all the sizes 3struts or if its just the small sizes...

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm

I've just had a mini debrief with our team here thanks to James and I have to say sceptic that I am, this year does look like a bit of a champagne year for innovation.

I guess not having control bars to get working, the boys have had time to deal with the meat and potatoes..

So from what I have gleaned looking but not flying..

Fuel. Same strut layout, but Loads more panels, those zig zag bits are panels, there are more panels and more seam shaping on the Fuel than I've seen in a while, almost back to the Glory days. (For those that don't know, seam shaping and lots of panels is a good thing, it's more expensive to produce, yields a better shape and gives added rip stop.)

It's got this tightening of the side panels on the wing tip to stop that flutter in loops yet the foil above the leading edge remains full at the entry to retain the powerhouse.

It's no point blathering on about a Fuel, a Fuel rider has got to ride it and see, but my money is on it being a step up from this and last years offering in genuine terms, if only more longevity.

The big kite news is The Rally, this is the new wonder of the age according to the boys. Its an absolute joy to jump, just the timing and ease of lift off amongst other things and it easily achieves more height and float than even an RPM.

It's a three strut Delta C (don't ask) has no pulleys yes I'll say it again, no pulleys and they seem to have managed to distance the front and back take offs in such a way that it relaunches if you just telepathically think it needs to.

It's light, well built, loads of panels and seam shaping, a lot of thought has gone into this kiddy and it'll be priced around the RPM and will sit between the Key which aint going to change and the RPM.
It also has.... take a deep breath and wonder wtf - split strut - er on a bow, well not a total bow but a hybrid Delta C swept tip whatever.. call it new Gen.
Either way, that's a bit of committment that they would do that, it's not the cheapest thing to build
and I guess it's there to compensate for the three struts and the fairly rigid air frame the wide guage struts give.

We like it, it's been abused considerably, there and over here in some fairly gusty winds that would have had other three strut kites on the market once this over powered inside out.
I have no imagery at this stage we were just off to ride them this lunch time when rain stopped play, but those of y'all who've read my bullshit over the years will have come to know that I rarely get excited without some cause and this year I think with all the other things Slingshot have been working on, I will have that cause.

In fact there are so many things going on I think maybe another thread might be necessary, they have made some real innovations in their board offering, featuring solid wood cores fused to solid urethane rails (no joins, none, nada,) tracks throughout offering multi stance widths, super super light weight, dialed flex and huge response to pop loading.

The Surf boards all get tracks and wood decks and an amazing line up with some killer smash and destroy weaponry, this year you simply mustn't make that buying decision without taking a look at Slingshot - they are lit right now...

Return to “Kitesurfing”