Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot 2011

Forum for kitesurfers
shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot 2011

Postby shymac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 pm

suRff wrote:
shymac wrote:
suRff wrote:shymac. thanks for the words. so you have your pick of the litter. what kite would you choose for waves in the 5-8m size?

also, is the rally the most forward flying of the bunch? thanks again.

No worries.... So either this quiver [6/8/10] would be the coast quiver for areas with mid<high wind where as the [8/10/14] quiver for mid>light wind. or just go with the 8/12 combo... that will get you out in almost anything! For one size for waves I would go with the 8m or 10m depending on weight and local wind conditions. Although you can't count out the 4m and 6m for the nuke days...

:beer:

Thanks man, but which kite would you chose for your ultimate wave weapon in the smaller sizes? Is the Rally more forward flying than RPM (in the forward flying settings)?

The Rally sets back just a hair off "deeper" from the RPM position in the window. But still can be stomped but not as jurky as the RPM when you stomp it or really edge hard against it. Similar feel to the Fuel... Nice progressive push to the egde... :cool2: With the kite setting back further in the window you get very good grunt and pivot steering with power and speed.. The 8m Rally would be my one kite for the coast if I couldn't have the whole Slingshot range at my finger tips... :naughty:
Attachments
17.jpg
17.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
16.jpg
16.jpg (98.19 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Last edited by shymac on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Confusion ensues...
shy, you say the rally sits farther back than the rpm,
but it has also been said the rally goes upwind well,
which is usually associated with kites that fly more forward...
...while folks have been saying upwind is one of the RPM's compromises (or shortcomings...).
So the question I have is, once you stomp (or coax?) the rally forward, does it just pull better for upwind riding than RPM?
Or am I just confused???

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Well, its my point of view on how I explain things, so I can get pretty confusing at times... This what makes a good trending topic.. :wink: But with regards to your questions, its like cutting one hair into two with regards to setting in the window. Very close and simlar to me... It sits back just a hair and still has good upwind performace. Due to being a new shape and design comparded to the RPM. Smaller size's in the RPM's (4.5/6/8/10) are really good at upwind performances over the larger ones.. All sizes in the Rally rock up wind! Mainly due to its Delta C shape. Once you stomp or coax it to the edge it still pulls and has a nice push to and from the window similar to the Fuels... So the more you stomp it the better it will follow you similar to the fuel when your powered.. Makes sense?

13FUEL 12 RALLY
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (56.47 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

L3NNY
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shui hau,Hong Kong
Favorite Beaches: Belenario ,Tarifa
Style: Big air,megas,hydrofoil
Gear: 2017 FX 7,9,12
2017 Drifter 5.5,8,13
2017 Apollo 7,10,14
2017 Ace & Xcaliber
2016 Double agent and foil set
2016 Phenom
Brand Affiliation: NP, Cabrinha,

Postby L3NNY » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Here ya go chaps a couple of quick vids on the new Rally and Fuel for 2011
(edited by Jay) our first effort ! so be easy on us ! with a short insite to the kites
none of us are connected to slingshot in anyway ! all the lads that tried the kite on sat afternoon and ride all different makes and models
i have been riding fuels since 2005 and currently still ride my quiver of the 2007's fuel's
all that tried the new Rally was very impressed including myself
fantastic up wind amasing relanch no overfly positive feedback on the bar,none of us could find anything wrong with the kite at all ! we all tried to get it to tangle invert fall but this thing just stayed flying nomatter what we through at it
only problem was with the bar......
the front safety line (stiching) was to large to pull through the small gap in the spinning mechanisim
and when i was using the bar on the fuel somehow the clam cleat that sits inside the metal housing fired out when doing a backloop kite loop ? strange as the srew that fixes this into place did not seem stripped or damaged? maybe it was not tight to start with?
any way have a look see what ya think,will make another if we get the demo kites again so we can try them in high winds
will definatly be ordering a new quiver of fuels as they felt fantastic !!!
cheers Lenny

L3NNY
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shui hau,Hong Kong
Favorite Beaches: Belenario ,Tarifa
Style: Big air,megas,hydrofoil
Gear: 2017 FX 7,9,12
2017 Drifter 5.5,8,13
2017 Apollo 7,10,14
2017 Ace & Xcaliber
2016 Double agent and foil set
2016 Phenom
Brand Affiliation: NP, Cabrinha,

Postby L3NNY » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 pm

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks I think I get it, but have to try one to see.
Thinking about it as a lighter wind/freeride (&upwind) supplement to the fuels.
You make it sound nice!

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby doublerumandcoke » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:23 am

L3NNY
Your post says All the lads..........how many tried the kites? What were their remarks, any negative remarks about how it flew etc and not if the colours were gay etc or it didn't match their hair.

I'm guilty as many who scoff about Deltas until they ride them. Does this kit have the floppy looseness they tend to have when sheeted out?

Great effort on the video by the way. ALL take note.......thats how to submit a review.
Let us know more as we aren't all able to get to play with them yet.

DRC

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 am

On those videos the re-launch and safety test is done in shallow flat water ... like most of the brand !!! why they don't test the kite in real situations , like in surf or choppy deep water spots :shake: ... it won't be the same !!!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:57 am

Habi wrote:On those videos the re-launch and safety test is done in shallow flat water ... like most of the brand !!! why they don't test the kite in real situations , like in surf or choppy deep water spots :shake: ... it won't be the same !!!
exactly what I was thinking.
The Rally looked like it dropped very nicely.
Don't care for the new bar system though.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:05 pm

shymac wrote:Well, its my point of view on how I explain things, so I can get pretty confusing at times... This what makes a good trending topic.. :wink: But with regards to your questions, its like cutting one hair into two with regards to setting in the window. Very close and simlar to me... It sits back just a hair and still has good upwind performace. Due to being a new shape and design comparded to the RPM. Smaller size's in the RPM's (4.5/6/8/10) are really good at upwind performances over the larger ones.. All sizes in the Rally rock up wind! Mainly due to its Delta C shape. Once you stomp or coax it to the edge it still pulls and has a nice push to and from the window similar to the Fuels... So the more you stomp it the better it will follow you similar to the fuel when your powered.. Makes sense?
This makes perfect sense. I flew the Rallys for 2 days this weekend and was very impressed. Superb surf kites that sit back and give you plenty of power to get a few turns on a wave before you run off to chase something else. Quick, tight, downloops and a kite you could almost forget about as it would always be there when you needed it.

With regards to above I had conflicting feedback from 2 different surfers. One commented that when you edge hard the kite surges very far forward in the wind window. Another commented that he liked how it sat back in the pocket and gave him power to stay on a wave longer than with his kites. It clearly depends how you ride. Also, one of them was out at the top end of the 12 and the other was perfectly powered on the 10.

With regard to relaunch it came up fine for me when I dropped it in the surf. I was well powered, though. I didn't get to test that challenging light wind deep water relaunch that really defines a kite's relaunch ability. Self launch from the beach was simple. The bar worked great and the depower cleat was very nice on the new bars.

Anyway, great kite. Get out and fly it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”