Forum for kitesurfers
cwindbr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurf lessons in Barra do Cunhaú - Blue Dream resort

Postby cwindbr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey guys, a few days ago I went to Barra do Cunhaú, state of Rio Grande do Norte, Brasil, to have fun kitesurfing. The wind was pretty strong and gusty, between 15 and 30 knots, and what I saw was unbelievable. There is a hotel called Blue Dream Resort, where a few guys give kitesurf lessons, and there were people taking lessons in that gusty conditions, and, the worst, not wearing helmets or impact vests. At a certain time I was at the beach, during the afternoon, and the self-called instructor left his kitesurf student alone, the wind blowing from south and directly to a bunch of rocks next to the left side of the hotel. The student was not able to get back to water and could not imagine the risk of like he was taking at that moment. NOBODY was with her. After a while, a guy came running from inside the hotel to help her.

For what I could see, it looks like Barra do Cunhaú is going to be part of the kiteboarding death statistics pretty soon. That is irresponsibility, I do not recommend that place to those who want to learn kitesurfing, don't go there, it is extremely dangerous to take lessons with those guys from the Blue Dream resort. They could at least move to the other side of the river, where there is flat water and plenty of space to give time for reaction if something goes wrong.

I hope I have helped avoid any future accident in Barra do Cunhaú.

goofyfoot
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kite beach
Favorite Beaches: kite beach
Style: old
Gear: ss

Re: Kitesurf lessons in Barra do Cunhaú - Blue Dream resort

Postby goofyfoot » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:51 am

You could have helped by going to the aid of the student and then giving your advice to the instructor.

roman
Rare Poster

Postby roman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello Cwindbr!

I am Roman from Brazil Kiteboarding Kitecenter in Barra do Cunhau. You should be careful with this kind of post´s if you do not have the right information.

The guy who had the accident did not any Kitelessons with our school not either with another school here in Barra do Cunhau.

The accident happend at 19th of July. Fortunately he is o.k. now. He was already here last year with his father for Kiteboarding and returned that year again. He is not a beginner but not that experienced too.
He lost control while waterstart and did not released hist security system.

Our Kitecenter is working with success 4 years now. We are working under the guidelines of IKO and fortunately until today we had no accident. All of our students are wearing helmets and lifevests.

thanks that we could clear this affair.

Roman Eder
Brazil Kiteboarding Team

Caio Dinis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilha Comprida - Brazil
Barra do Cunhaú - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha Comprida - Brazil
Barra do Cunhaú - Brazil
Style: my style
Gear: Flysurf - psycho 3 13

Postby Caio Dinis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi people

I went to Barra do Cunhau, in december/2009, I had not problem, I also had not lessons, but I went alone (I usually go kitesurf alone).
João help me a lot, and Cicero help me to (I know cicero not work ther), all the time had one guy to help up/donw the kite.

I saw some lessons, all the people taking lessons used helmets.
I dont know who is the teacher, because I saw some teacher are not of Blue Dream give lessons.

This is my opnion, and what I saw ther.

Hugs

Caio

Return to “Kitesurfing”