Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Coyote Point, CA
Style: Freestyle, starting foiling
Gear: Airush Diamond V1 7, 9 and 12. Blankforce MK5 & Advisory
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite shape convergence in 2010/2011

Postby iwave » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:18 am

I noticed that there seem to be some sort shape converge in recent (or just to come) freestyle/unhooked, wave kites.
I would roughly describe this type of shape as bridled or SLE kites, with a delta-shape component, a bit of C-shape and cut wing tips.
See these pictures:

Epic Screamer 2010:

Gin Zulu II 2010:

RRD Obsession 2011:

F-one Bandit 4 2011:

The new Zeeko 2011:

It seems that the new Ocean Rodeo Razor and new Best Taboo are also going in this direction...

The shape seems to work very well because the kites that are already on the market, like the Gin Zulu II, seem to be quite performing. And I am sure that the new Bandit 4 and new Zeeko 2011 will be very good as well.

I think my next kite will be one of these kites. Final choice will be on bridle and bar refinements.

Cheers

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite shape convergence in 2010/2011

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Those look like a Hybrid Delta style kite. The Tips have more volume to them and the line is not as straight to the tips.

What is interesting is the 2008 North Vegas had many aspects of this design as well. A lot of people felt it was a more C style ride than other hybrid/SLE kites.
If I am not mistaken this kite had almost no bridle, but it does not look as flat as the ones you listed.
Attachments
northvegas08.jpg
2008 North Vegas
northvegas08.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 2177 times

iwave
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Coyote Point, CA
Style: Freestyle, starting foiling
Gear: Airush Diamond V1 7, 9 and 12. Blankforce MK5 & Advisory

Postby iwave » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes you are right, the Vegas 2008 (and 2010) has a similar shape but I am not sure it has any delta component (or a very limited one). And like you said, it is more C-shaped (less flat) than the ones I listed.
Hybrid delta style is a good name for that type of shape.
The new Naish Charger 2011:
is something along these lines. But the delta component seems quite pronounced and the wing tips are more rounded that the Gin Zulu II (or the other kites I listed in my first post). By the way, the Sigma shape seems to have completely disappeared...

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:29 am

True the wingtips are not swept back as much and the volume in the wingtips is larger with this design.

To get from the 2008 Vegas to this flatter design would require the bridles. The Vegas had a very small leading edge which gave it great speed across the window, but not enough support for a flatter profile.
Although, It does seem like these are a progression from the 2008 Vegas to a large degree.

I always felt the Sigma shape had too many angles to be aerodynamically efficient.

It sure is interesting to see how kites have evolved since the classic 2004 C shape kite.
I look forward to seeing how they continue to evolve.

Return to “Kitesurfing”