Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing in Asia - chasing the wind! Help!

Forum for kitesurfers
joffaburger
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: When I'm back home - Gold Coast - Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and Kirra
Favorite Beaches: Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and KirraMerimbula, Philip Island, Flinders, Pt Leo, Pt Impossible, Pt Danger, Cactus, Margaret River, Falcon Bay, Woodmans Pt, Dutch Inn, Lancelin, Gero,
Style: surf
Gear: custom surf board KOMA expoxy NSP fish thruster 6 footer - Eclipse KIMA kites 12m 9m and soon a 6m!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Asia - chasing the wind! Help!

Postby joffaburger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 am

I'm living in Hong Kong and have a weeks leave coming up August 15-22. I was originally looking at Vietnam as windguru was showing some good wind there for the last week or more but this week's forecast for next week shows the wind dropping off...Also Taiwan, Philippines and Thailand are all trending down. The only place I can see good wind building is Japan for this weekend and heading into early next week does windguru do an OK job with it's predictions in Japan as I have been informed that it doesn't always factor in local anomalies... :nono:

Has anyone else got a better wind forecaster than windguru for Asia or now of any other destination that might be going off between 15-22 August that's a short flight from HK? My girlfriend is Japanese so Japan is a no brainer.... any help much appreciated! :D

Jeff

matt at jibe's
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: mui ne viet nam
Favorite Beaches: mui ne beach; hon rom/ Mack beach, Suoi Nuoc (viet nam)
enshuu beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Tenryuugawa beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Manta, Ecuador
Style: snowboard/old school/surfboard
Gear: Airush lithium in smallest sizes, f-one bandit, RRD etc
boards: Xenon!
Brand Affiliation: as chief instructor at Jibe's in Mui Ne, Viet Nam
we carry airush/f-one/prolimit/etc

Re: Kitesurfing in Asia - chasing the wind! HELP!

Postby matt at jibe's » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:21 am

Hi Jeff,

I'm Matt-0 from Jibe's watersport centre in Mui Ne, Viet Nam.

You are right about local anomalies-- we find here that from day to day the wind conditions can be quite different at several locations within 15m drive of here. I usually use windfinder.com as it tends to be a little more accurate in this location. It has a good animated forecast map showing where the wind and low pressure areas are moving around. This time of year, though, conditions tend to be a bit more variable and unstable so the forecast has a bit lower accuracy rate than during the windy season (about Nov. to May). It can be a bit "hit or miss" as far as wind goes.

I've kited in several locations here in Viet Nam, as well as the Philippines (Boracay), Korea (Ulsan), and Japan (Hamamatsu, Shizuoka-ken) Usually the summers in that area of Japan tend to have very light wind but when the nansei (southwest) wind kicks in during the spring and fall, it's among the best kiting I've experienced. And, the beach is huge and often quite empty of people. When the typhoons pass by on the outside in the late summer typhoon season, there can be really good wind and high waves but the sideshore current is strong enough to make upwinding a bit of a chore.

Hope that's helpful,

Matt-0

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kitesurfing in Asia - chasing the wind! HELP!

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 am

Mie is another good spot and not as far from our house as Hamamatsu is ... but Hamamatsu is more flexible for the wind - you got the lake and the river there too :thumb:

We got southerlies for the next week ... sigh ...

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Kitesurfing in Asia - chasing the wind! Help!

Postby doublerumandcoke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Jeff
The wind upcoming i Japan this weekend is from a fast moving typhoon headed to Korea. So you are looking at pretty bumpy wind to chase.
Bad low season for the region as its El Nino this year.

Try magicseaweed.com they have a good user friendly site for surf and wind and i like the models that show the whole area and how weather effect s it.

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts ... starttime=

Better save your vacation for Nov-Apr.

DRC

antatack
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Quebec, Canada
Gear: SlingShot Fuel/Octane

Postby antatack » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 pm

head to sri lanka, kalpitiya you are still in the wind season

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Whatever you do, DO NOT waste your time coming to Taiwan. No wind. None. Zippo. Nothing. Nada. Meiyou. Arimasen. :naughty:

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:46 pm

I did not check the Asian forcast but Xiamen (China) is often good.
If you live in HK it is easy (at least is used to be easy) to get a Chinese Visa.
Last edited by Feng on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kite2high
Rare Poster

Postby kite2high » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:05 am

I am from HKG also. Just visited taiwan for a 4 days weekend kite trip :) . Here is the report with photos albums link : http://www.kite2high.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... f=2&t=7338

email me if you need more infomation. We go there every month.

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:34 am

Ive been in Vung Tau, Vietnam for over 2 weeks and the south west wind this season is lighter than previous years but we still get out almost everyday.. we have had a good patch the last few days and able to do some decent jumps and tricks but as windguru says it may not last too much longer so it maybe risky to come

As Antatack says Sri Lanka is doing well and there are cheap flights using Air Asia.. i almost chose to go there but i have a weakness for Viet food so im enjoying the food more than the kiting

joffaburger
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: When I'm back home - Gold Coast - Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and Kirra
Favorite Beaches: Spit, Narrowneck, Nobbies, Currumbin, and KirraMerimbula, Philip Island, Flinders, Pt Leo, Pt Impossible, Pt Danger, Cactus, Margaret River, Falcon Bay, Woodmans Pt, Dutch Inn, Lancelin, Gero,
Style: surf
Gear: custom surf board KOMA expoxy NSP fish thruster 6 footer - Eclipse KIMA kites 12m 9m and soon a 6m!

Postby joffaburger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your input as it has been very useful in helping me deciding the best option for the coming week. The winner is: TAIWAN! The forecast is picking up a little for Taiwan and the rest of Asia looks like it's in the doldrums...Man on the ground in Vietnam tells me lots of rain and when wind comes it's in 30min patches. The tropical storm in Japan is heading for Korea and it's forecast path is to miss Taiwan to the West and maybe bring some good wind on it's way past. Anyway encouraged by kite2high as his forecast was average and yet they got a good 3 days of wind near Taipei on a lam windguru forecast! Sri lanka would have been awesome but out of range and budget as my girlfriend is tagging along she kitesurfs too but is still a beginner.

Now to business!! I need some cheap accommodation tips in Taipei followed by the best local beaches to hit in the area and cheap accommodation near the kitesurfing spots..... Saifu seems to be one of the wind stations on Windguru and I have seen some nice youtube footage of kiting there albeit Winter months. Anywhere else I should look at and need to know which wind directions work for which beach, will do some research but if you happen to know the area well pls give me a quick run down. I have a 6 foot fish surfboard and 135TT and am thinking I should only bother with the TT as I'm guessing not so much wave riding in the summer months in Taiwan? And also I'm guessing my surfboard might be a pain to carry around with my TT and transport in train, taxi, bus etc if it's not going to get a good workout! Oh and is it worth checking out Penghu or is it expensive to get to and hard to find reasonably cheap accommodation?

Fingers x that tropical storm Diamu brings wind and not a week of rain!! :-? Once again many thanks for the input from all - I have had 2 decent sessions in HK in 5months and officially going NUTS! Please keep the ideas and feedback coming - good winds to you all.... :thumb:

Jeff (Addicted to kitesurfing)

Return to “Kitesurfing”