Forum for kitesurfers
laz
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nice car and kite equipment

Postby laz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Honda element

You can clip either seat onto the wall and turn it into a van back or have 3 seats and a floor section to pile boards and kites. It turns really nice for being a box but the mileage kinda sucks. OH and the foor is plastic so you can just wash it out easy.

I love mine

JS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JS » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Honda Element: the best piece of kiteboarding equipment I own.

Great use of space, no carpet, huge rear leg and head room for changing, etc, etc.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:57 pm

JS wrote:Honda Element: the best piece of kiteboarding equipment I own.

Great use of space, no carpet, huge rear leg and head room for changing, etc, etc.
Thought about getting one as well... looks like a great as$ hauler for somebody into outdoor sports... but, the fact that Element has the worst gas millage in it's class kinda killed it for me... I'm doing over 35K km per year, so it counts... :oops:

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:32 pm

The element is nice. I have a Chevy HHR with a plastic interior. Folds flat with cargo tie downs and with the front passenger down you can fit an 8 foot board in. That said though mine smells a bit funny now and then after transporting the wet suit and booties. Good idea on the rubermaid. Purchased it some what new ish. Good on gas. It is supposed to be my clean car but my old sand bucket Taurus died a few months ago. Going to replace it with an old truck. Thinking a ranger with a covered back in the $4000 range. Realy only good option is a second vehicle. That said a good shop vac (don't cheap out it's worth it) will get most of the sand out. When I take the kite gear in the HHR on vacations I usualy wrap it in a clear plastic painters tarp.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 am

Laughingman wrote:You've heard of a shop vac right?
Silly bear, this is Japan - if I want my car cleaned my slave oops I mean wife will clean it and if the house vacuum gets clogged she can clean that too! :lol:
Actually, I recently found a place that has a shop vac but - where are we going to put it? They don't really believe in cupboards here ... the house vac is always out on the floor cos there's nowhere to put it :(

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:43 am

haha....like pulling off a band aid slowly. That is great! You are probably right but i have to delay the inevitable. My wife thinks i am going to kill it.

Sometimes the obvious is not....plastic lidded containers in every shape...Walmart, cool thanks! For some reason i had a little different image of the 'box', but those should do.

My wife has an Element but it is full of kids stuff. Not looking for a different car, but a way to keep all of the wet, sandy stinky shit containerized in the trunk of a luxury sport.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I just bought a '10 Nissan Titan crew cab last fall. That thing is great for kiting. (except for the 18mpg...) But I, like you, didn't want it destroyed from all of my equipment. I mountain bike 3-4 nights a week and holy shit does that gear get filthy and stinky.......worse than kite gear. I bought the Weather Tech liners for the front and back. They are great. They catch most of the sand/dirt/mud off the bike and kite crap. I am getting neoprene seat covers for more protection and to keep the sweat smell out of the seats.

I do want either a locking bed cover or a Packasport 115 to keep all my wet/nasty gear in. The interior of a car and truck shouldn't house your dank gear ever. My last truck was really harsh. It was the locker room on wheels. My GF loved it. :oops:

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:17 am

Is anybody aware of an airtight surfboard bag....like a travel bag. Something i could fit 3 tt's in?

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 am

alexeyga wrote:...but, the fact that Element has the worst gas millage in it's class kinda killed it for me...
What is "its class"? I'm not arguing, just wondering. I can't think of anything else that I'd consider replacing it with, notwithstanding the fuel economy.

If it wasn't for the Element, I'd probably opt for a Subaru Impreza STI. Not much else practical appeals to me.

James

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque
Style: awkward
Gear: 15m Core XR3, 12 & 7 m Core XR4, 10, Core XR5.
LF Wow 3, 12/10/8 m
CF Raptor Pro Ltd, Ocean Rodeo Jester.
Nobile Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:17 pm

IMHO the Element is in its own "class" its pretty unique id like one but for the gas issue and that it's just a bit too big for my parking. Alternatively (and I can hear the howls from the auto aficionado's)
Kia Rondo, true its never going to win a drag race or beauty contest but well equipped, cavernous, and frugal..... you can buy lots of kites for the money saved.....

JS wrote:
alexeyga wrote:...but, the fact that Element has the worst gas millage in it's class kinda killed it for me...
What is "its class"? I'm not arguing, just wondering. I can't think of anything else that I'd consider replacing it with, notwithstanding the fuel economy.

If it wasn't for the Element, I'd probably opt for a Subaru Impreza STI. Not much else practical appeals to me.

James

Return to “Kitesurfing”