Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone Tried 2011 Slingshot Wood Surfboards

Postby Kiteosphere » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried these new 2011 wood deck surfboards from Slingshot. How's the weight, ride and durability?

Fabjet1
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone Tried 2011 Slingshot Wood Surfboards

Postby Fabjet1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Tried the DIALER, the other day in light wind. I'am 220lbs, Board is very wide and no problem to plane in light wind.
But its big and heavy, kid of slow with the 4 fins, and it doesn't like to turn that well, you really have to make her turn, once in the turn it's ok.
The fast track system is not that fast to put in or out, the pieces that goes inside rail stick to it and doesn't slide that easy, it is NOT a breeze to take them out or put them in.
A major flaw is the design or the femal screws, they go on top of your foot strap and are covered by the normal neopren sleeve from the strap but they are unusually tall and stick out.
The result is when you want to take your back feet out of the strap and put in in front of the back strap you often hit that screw in your feet. It's like a nail and even if you rest your feet in front of the screw it still bother you on the side. Not comfy at all and thats another thing you need to worry while riding.
In my opinion the fast track as more disadvantages as it add weights, is not that easy to use, does not provide a comfy ride. I don't usually ride strapless but I was happy to have a system that could easlly convert, that not the case...
I need a lighter and more lively board, I'm going to look at the celeritas or even last year as I don't really need the fast track. The bamboo finish is killer and the board looks very strong...

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Got the globetrotter 4'10,surf/skim concept "a trunk board", first ride and you hate it, but after several sessions, it becomes interesting, is so short that it feels like there is no nose, the fin position trows nice spray at turns and makes it rideable. I have only ridden it strapless.

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteosphere » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 am

I've had my Tyrant 6'2" for a few months and its a solid board. Modified a few things to suit my taste and comfort. Replaced the nut cap on the plate screw with a cheap nylon lock nut. Threaded a piece of thick webbing over the nut to dampen the impact to the heal when stomping it jibing. It's a simple and cheap fix. The board is solid with no pressure dings any where on the deck. Also got set up with some NSP tuttle box adapters that enable me to run FCS fins on the board to try different configurations. Its a bit heavier than my epoxy surfboards but I think it needs to be to take kite surfing abuse.
Attachments
IMG_0298.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”