Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What wetsuit for freezing cold weather? neilpryde?

Forum for kitesurfers
EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What wetsuit for freezing cold weather? neilpryde?

Postby EvanOR » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Karls,

Please take a close look at Hyperflex Wetsuits - they make an outstanding product that arguably offers you by far the best value/pricing in the industry. :thumb:

For extreme cold you likely want as much rubber as you can get, so check out the AMP 6/5/4 with all new Aerodome Technology and Hollowfiber thermal lining (also offered in a 5/4/3, 4/3 etc).

If you can get away with a 5/3 and prefer a non-hooded kite-specific suit please check out the AMP-K with AquaVent Drain System.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype
Attachments
AMPK 5MM.jpg
AMPK 5MM.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
AMP 6MM Surf.jpg
AMP 6MM Surf.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes, the NPX are definitely more durable than the slick skin suits, this is one of the trade-offs you get. Good point on the E4, but are you sure you're not referring to the E3?

To be clear, the E3 is a pullover back-zip closure that creates a water barrier behind your zipper. Any water that leaks in through the zipper runs down the water barrier and out through the vents at the bottom of the zipper, so you don't get any flush like with traditional back-zips. If this is what you're looking for, the NPX Zealot, Assassin, and Serene have this.

The E4 is only available on the Neilpryde Elite, and is similar to the E3, but with an additional fold-over flap that goes overtop of the neck seal. It's really nice, but expensive to produce. Maybe we'll include this some future NPX models. What do you think?

Below is a picture that says E4, but this part of the closure is the same for E3 and E4. Sorry, I don't have any shots of the tops of the closure where they're different.
tonyh wrote:Our local distributor will usually push kiters towards the NPX range for kiting, I suppose because the perception is they're a little more durable when getting dragged through the shallows during wipe outs etc... and less likely to get nicked with shells/stones as you might get with the full slick skin elite.
You do need to be a liitle more careful with the full slick skin models, but they really work and for me the E4 entry system is the mutts, rarely get any water in, even through the violent wipe outs, I don't think there's an NPX with E4 entry Josh? Any particular reason for this?
Attachments
Elite_05.jpg
Elite_05.jpg (142.63 KiB) Viewed 2688 times

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 am

"Drysuit zippers do sometimes need replacement and they're not cheap so we offer them at cost to keep the price down"

Thats cool, but I have seen the wholesale prices of drysuit zips for replacement and even at wholesale +installation the price often leads the rider putting their previously valuable neoprene drysuit in the bin, and that seems such a waste in times of environmental consideration.

tonyh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin.
Gear: *

Postby tonyh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:47 am

JoshNoe wrote:Yes, the NPX are definitely more durable than the slick skin suits, this is one of the trade-offs you get. Good point on the E4, but are you sure you're not referring to the E3?

To be clear, the E3 is a pullover back-zip closure that creates a water barrier behind your zipper. Any water that leaks in through the zipper runs down the water barrier and out through the vents at the bottom of the zipper, so you don't get any flush like with traditional back-zips. If this is what you're looking for, the NPX Zealot, Assassin, and Serene have this.

The E4 is only available on the Neilpryde Elite, and is similar to the E3, but with an additional fold-over flap that goes overtop of the neck seal. It's really nice, but expensive to produce. Maybe we'll include this some future NPX models. What do you think?

Below is a picture that says E4, but this part of the closure is the same for E3 and E4. Sorry, I don't have any shots of the tops of the closure where they're different.
I was actually referring to the E4 as I've had an original Elite and when it came to replacing it the distributor recommended I look at the "kite specific" NPX range, this was coming into winter 2009, one of the reasons for sticking with the new Elite II was the fact that none of the NPX suits had the E4 entry system which surprised me a little knowing they were both from the same group, plus I knew how damn good the Elite was/is and the extra roll over piece is really effective at sealing the neck, with vitually no leakage even during bad wipeouts so i think it would be a good idea to incorporate into the NPX range, having said that I'd still probably stick with the Elite and risk the nicks for the extra time I know it will get me on the water through the winter .
One last question... are the double cuffs back on the legs for the 2011 Elite II? I don't see it mentioned in the spec.

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks for the input Tony! E4 on an NPX, something to consider moving forward...

The Elite II doesn't come with double ankle cuffs. These were nice, but it was becoming a durability issue since the extremely stretchy S5 limestone neoprene was connected to a less-stretchy neoprene in an area where there's a lot of stress. Whenever there's a stretchy to not-as-stetchy connection in a high-stress area, there's often tearing issues at the seams. We weren't having many, but enough to warrant a change.

The current unfinished closure still keeps out almost all flushing, and we've kept the double wrist closures!
tonyh wrote: I was actually referring to the E4 as I've had an original Elite and when it came to replacing it the distributor recommended I look at the "kite specific" NPX range, this was coming into winter 2009, one of the reasons for sticking with the new Elite II was the fact that none of the NPX suits had the E4 entry system which surprised me a little knowing they were both from the same group, plus I knew how damn good the Elite was/is and the extra roll over piece is really effective at sealing the neck, with vitually no leakage even during bad wipeouts so i think it would be a good idea to incorporate into the NPX range, having said that I'd still probably stick with the Elite and risk the nicks for the extra time I know it will get me on the water through the winter .
One last question... are the double cuffs back on the legs for the 2011 Elite II? I don't see it mentioned in the spec.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Nothing, and I mean nothing is more important in a windsports wetsuit than a smooth, non-absorbent skin.

Unlike a diving wetsuit where the thickness of the neoprene is the primary factor affecting warmth, windsports wetsuits are subject to evaporative cooling .

Evaporative cooling is the relief we feel when the wind blows across our sweaty skin. As water evaporates, it undergoes a phase change and heat is liberated.

Wetsuits with fabric facing will really get cooled off when wind blows across their wet surface. I don't know why anyone even offers these things for sale! I've had warmer exposed arms and legs than the wetsuit covered body parts when using the old type of wetsuit when kiting.

Then I went to a Neil Pryde 5000 that is ALL smooth/slick/mesh skin and the difference is incredible. I have been riding and crashing on frigid Lake Ontario this spring and NEVER felt cold even when the water temps were 40F and the air 45F and 25 knots of wind.

The slick skin type surface simply does not hold water so is not subject to evaporative cooling!

Yet, I get chilled to the core when I have ridden in my fabric faced 3mm Farmer John in late August in warm bays, sunny days but windy. My arms were warm but my suit surface was noticeably colder than the air and my bare skin. The wetsuit actually was causing me to be cold!

Try This Simple Experiment

1. Lick the back of your hand.
2. Blow gently across your hand. You should already feel a cooling sensation.
3. Now, blot your hand dry and use the opposite hand to feel the actual temperature of your skin.

It will actually be cooler to the touch!

Anyways, I've had no problems with wear on the NP5K even though I wear a seat harness so the argument that the fabric is more durable is really a red herring in my experience.

No question whatsoever that for windsports, smooth skinned wetsuits are superior to the fabric faced suits.
Last edited by flyrob on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:46 pm

I have this.

Have had allot off winter suits through the years, hands down this is the warmest most flexible suit.

JMS86
Rare Poster

Postby JMS86 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:44 am

I would have to go with Paff. The O'Neill line is a far superior wetsuit. I have been using the Pyschofreak...amazinggg for Cold water conditions!
Psycho2 as the runner up.

Highly recommended if you can throw the cash down.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:37 pm

WIND CHILL

That's the word I was looking for! I went all "Sheldon Cooper" using the term evaporative cooling!

Any wetsuit with "jersey" on the exterior is going to experience windchill effects as a result.

The "mesh" or smooth skin is durable in my experience. Jersey fabric facing is simply cheaper and more people see it as "wetsuit material". they look at the smooth skin as the old frogman of the 60's material.

nomorebikinis
Frequent Poster

Postby nomorebikinis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:11 pm

I m not impressed by wetsuits, drysuits. Tried them all. When its cold i stay at home or take the plane. No one tried the thin ripcurl h-bom, so that must be à marketing fairy as well... :jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”