Forum for kitesurfers
windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

My prediction.

Postby windmaker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:58 pm

I have been riding for the past few days the new SS Rally in 6/8 10 and 12m. Just like some other kites that I tried in the past (Ozone and Wainman) it has no pulleys whatsoever.

I never liked delta kites ( I normally ride RPM's) but I really like the Rally kite. It is fast, precise, has excellent feedback with medium bar pressure (a little more than RPM) .

Tried an other Delta back to back ( Bandit 3, with 6 pulleys) and found the Rally to be smoother and more reactive.

Never had a problem with pulleys (RPM has 4) but if SShot, Ozone and Wainman can do such nice kites without pulleys so can other brands.

My prediction, most kites will have no more pulleys within 2 years !

shawntkeating
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My prediction.

Postby shawntkeating » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:30 pm

I was thinking the same thing last year when I was looking to buy a new quiver. Lots of good brands out there but I ended up going with Ozone partly because they are committed to not having pulleys on all their kites. More then likely pulleys really don't create to many problems if you keep them clean and working, but why would I buy a kite with one more thing I have to deal with? Answer, I did'nt.

I have not tried the Rally, but i follow the industry trends and read a big variety of opinions from all over the net and I do like what I have heard. It is a kite that I would give my attention to try it. Loving my C4's too much though! Ozone's Catalyst looks really nice also. In then end there is a lot of personal choice in kites, but we are right, pulleys need to make their way out of designs in my opinion.

liquidlove
Rare Poster

Postby liquidlove » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm new to kiteing, and I'm just wondering if someone would tell me what pulleys do?

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:55 am

...and we're getting down to 3 struts. I don't know the impact of reducing the number of struts on performance but should make it easier to maintain, be a lighter kite too. Airush got a one strut kite out there now as well, don't know if it has pullies.

Maybe the next step in kite evolution is to make LEI/ramfoil hybrid and get down to a very small LE, no struts and a canopy that inflates itself :lol:

A rugged easy to maintain kite that can still put a smile on your face, all for 50 bucks. That's what I want. That wine is soomm good :byebye:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:49 am

frankm1960 wrote:...and we're getting down to 3 struts. I don't know the impact of reducing the number of struts on performance but should make it easier to maintain, be a lighter kite too. Airush got a one strut kite out there now as well, don't know if it has pullies.

Maybe the next step in kite evolution is to make LEI/ramfoil hybrid and get down to a very small LE, no struts and a canopy that inflates itself :lol:

A rugged easy to maintain kite that can still put a smile on your face, all for 50 bucks. That's what I want. That wine is soomm good :byebye:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: mmmm wine

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 am

... hey, I saw one with no struts!!!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 pm

liquidlove wrote:I'm new to kiteing, and I'm just wondering if someone would tell me what pulleys do?
I thought I new... I have been kiting for 11 years and after trying some of the excellent new pulley less kites makes me wonder the same thing. Good or bad, kites can fly perfectly without them.

I hear Best's new kite the Taboo is also without pulleys. Who's next ?

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 am

Cabrinha seems to be going the other way and those kites fly VERY well with very clean canopy tension.

I think there will be lots of kites with pulleys and at least 5 struts in our future.

my2c

Stan

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 am

tautologies wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:...and we're getting down to 3 struts. I don't know the impact of reducing the number of struts on performance but should make it easier to maintain, be a lighter kite too. Airush got a one strut kite out there now as well, don't know if it has pullies.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: mmmm wine
Hang on the cheese will be here soon to go with the wine...............................

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 am

Bigdog wrote:Cabrinha seems to be going the other way and those kites fly VERY well with very clean canopy tension.

I think there will be lots of kites with pulleys and at least 5 struts in our future.

my2c

Stan
Cabrinha is not going the other way. Just like all the other brands they have had kites with pulleys for at least 5 years , so nothing has changed.

I might be wrong, but the need for innovation (and market shares) will bring us cheaper, simpler, lighter and more reliable kites without pulleys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”