Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Self-rescue question ...

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:21 am

Borrowed a Bandit 11 yesterday for some tail of the typhoon riding ... after a few hours of fun, the chicken loop hardware broke :o I tried to wrap up rear line around the bar like I remember from lessons and videos long ago, but every time I tried it, the kite would power up again ...

... ended up swimming in to shore and grabbing the kite as it sat in the shore break zone thingy ...

Is there a trick to self-rescuing on kites that depower on front lines like that?

Linhster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self-rescue question ...

Postby Linhster » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am

When you try to wrapped up the rear line, did you have ample slacks with the other lines? I believe that you need to have zero tension on all other. Doesn't the F-One have a emergency (fifth) line? Is there a Oh Shitz handle on the outside line that you were pulling?

Just getting more info?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 am

Was 4-line for sure ...
There were OS handles now I look at the footage - but wouldn't have know what to do with in that situation. I was trying to wrap the rear line starting with the leader around the bar, to 'flag' the kite out ... didn't want to do it :(

sheehyjo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009

Postby sheehyjo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:34 am

with my kahoona and best bar, i just pulled the OSR and hooked my leash into that, once the kite was flagged i pulled myself up to the bar on that line, wrapped that extra line around the bar and then wrapped up lines as normal.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:36 am

Cool, that makes sense :thumb:
... what about a Cab bar? No OS handles :o

ym
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Wake

Postby ym » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:46 am

I think the Cab bar flags out on one of the front line.

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha

Postby RomanC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:45 am

I think with the Cab pre '09 bar, you would just tie up the flagging line and then follow with the rest of the lines. With the '09 and higher, the front lines need to be wrapped around the bar, and the rear lines would follow. At least, that's what I think needs to be done. Last time, I just swam to the kite and then wrapped the lines around the bar when I was holding on to the kite for flotation.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 am

RomanC wrote:I think with the Cab pre '09 bar, you would just tie up the flagging line and then follow with the rest of the lines. With the '09 and higher, the front lines need to be wrapped around the bar, and the rear lines would follow. At least, that's what I think needs to be done. Last time, I just swam to the kite and then wrapped the lines around the bar when I was holding on to the kite for flotation.
With IDS, you wrap the IDS line (about 3 metres) and then wrap all 4 lines until you get to the kite. The kite can pull a bit in the smiley position, so its best just to roll the bar up the lines end over end. Unfortunately the 09 bar had soft winders, and the force can bend them a lot, which doesn't help. I usually reverse the bar and wind them in a figure 8 if I'm winding them after kiting to stop the bending.

You can see the lines being wound in this video, although I would have wound the IDS line on first, before winding all 4.

http://www.kiteu.com/kiterelease/

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha

Postby RomanC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm

ronnie wrote:
RomanC wrote:I think with the Cab pre '09 bar, you would just tie up the flagging line and then follow with the rest of the lines. With the '09 and higher, the front lines need to be wrapped around the bar, and the rear lines would follow. At least, that's what I think needs to be done. Last time, I just swam to the kite and then wrapped the lines around the bar when I was holding on to the kite for flotation.
With IDS, you wrap the IDS line (about 3 metres) and then wrap all 4 lines until you get to the kite. The kite can pull a bit in the smiley position, so its best just to roll the bar up the lines end over end. Unfortunately the 09 bar had soft winders, and the force can bend them a lot, which doesn't help. I usually reverse the bar and wind them in a figure 8 if I'm winding them after kiting to stop the bending.

You can see the lines being wound in this video, although I would have wound the IDS line on first, before winding all 4.

But the IDS is connected to both of the front lines. So correct me if I am wrong. The IDS and the main power line (parallel to the IDS line) need to be tied up on the bar up to the swivel. Then then all 4 lines can be tied on the bar.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:25 pm

RomanC wrote:
ronnie wrote:

But the IDS is connected to both of the front lines. So correct me if I am wrong. The IDS and the main power line (parallel to the IDS line) need to be tied up on the bar up to the swivel. Then then all 4 lines can be tied on the bar.
From a safety point of view, only the IDS line needs to be wound on and possibly tied off. The powerline and straps etc are a nuisance in terms of getting in the way, but otherwise, there's no need to wrap them. Once the IDS line has been wound on and tied off, the kite is fully depowered and all 4 lines can be wound on.

I dont know if the Bandit works any differently.

Return to “Kitesurfing”