Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self-rescue question ...

Postby Vikb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Borrowed a Bandit 11 yesterday for some tail of the typhoon riding ... after a few hours of fun, the chicken loop hardware broke :o I tried to wrap up rear line around the bar like I remember from lessons and videos long ago, but every time I tried it, the kite would power up again ...

... ended up swimming in to shore and grabbing the kite as it sat in the shore break zone thingy ...

Is there a trick to self-rescuing on kites that depower on front lines like that?
Wrap up one of the front lines a few times and then wrap all 4 lines together keeping the 3 longer lines slack.

Lowrider
Rare Poster

Postby Lowrider » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:07 pm

It doesn't matter which bar you are using......its always the same idea.......you need to pull out the power line by pulling your safety leash for couple of meters so you completely de-power your kite and it just floats on the leading edge......after that you just start rolling all of your lines over the bar until you reach the kite..........

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Flag out kite on one line, wrap that line. Keep the other lines slacked as much as needed to keep the kite depowered. Either sail the kite in like most videos show if wind will take you to shore. Or deflate leading edge while keeping struts inflated. Roll up kite and swim in using inflated struts as a flotation device. Sorry foils you do fail big time on self rescues.

K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Vlieland, Netherlands
Tremembe, Brazil
Style: Allschool
Gear: Inflatables and Flysurfer

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:39 am

For the 6th time:
leashing on a backline was for C-kites that could flag out.
SLE's will relaunch/loop and never flag. Only way is swan position / smiley. So use 2 frontlines or better: 5th

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Sorry K, I don't understand ... swan position?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Sorry K, I don't understand ... swan position?
Kite lying on its back. Like when your carrying it upside down after all the struts and LE are inflated. It will not have any power nor should it loop on you.

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Postby gazxtreme » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:50 pm

K-School SafetyFirst wrote:For the 6th time:
leashing on a backline was for C-kites that could flag out.
SLE's will relaunch/loop and never flag. Only way is swan position / smiley. So use 2 frontlines or better: 5th
I second that about back lines, 90% of the time this sends the kite into loops on modern kites. I think the only way to flag the kite out well is on one front line it's more effective than two front lines.
But as the original poster says his chicken loop broke he may have lost both front lines leaving no alternative but to use a rear line. I think the moral of the story here may be to test which method works for your kit before you need it in a real situation, too many guys on the water don't know how well or otherwise their safety releases work.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Kamikuza wrote: ... ended up swimming in to shore and grabbing the kite as it sat in the shore break zone thingy ...

Is there a trick to self-rescuing on kites that depower on front lines like that?
So do you mean you ditched the whole kite/bar and then picked it up after it drifted to shore?
Must have been one messed up bar if you did :)

I've seen a method demo'd in a video on how to retrieve a kite which "flags" on the two front lines...
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/powerdrive-ids.html
But that kite has a special system for it.

I had an SLE once which was had a leash attachment point on one of the front lines, meaning if I unhooked and let go of the bar the kite was meant to "flag" or "fly" off this one center line. The bar also had two OS handles. I flagged the kite out once, deep water and 12kts, can't remember if I used the center line leash or the OS handle. I got to the kite by wrapping the flagging line around the bar about 10 times and then wrapped the remaining lines, like was mentioned in a previous post. If there had been a lot of wind I'm not sure what would have happened. Probably would have done what you did :)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:31 am

Y'all must have some weird looking swans over there :lol:

It was on its back ... for a while - got whipped around into the air a few times too and it seemed every time I tried to wrap a line up or haul in on the safety, it would take off again ...
I still had the safety attached to my harness and I could touch the bottom so I sort of held the bar and 'jogged' into the shore, grabbed the kite and secured it then sorted out the lines :( small tangle, no big deal which was lucky and the kite didn't get damaged which was luckier!

Actually got to the bar and would have relaunched but the busted chicken loop put paid to that idea ...

So I'm guessing if you don't want to relaunch, with a system that has a through the bar safety, that you should wrap the safety hanging out below the bar around the bar first then the rear lines, working your way to the kite?

kiteboardbum
Rare Poster

Postby kiteboardbum » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 pm

If you have a kite with a safety line attached the the 2 front lines (cab IDS, epic renegade, etc etc), walk up your safety line to the bar, wrap that safety line that has pulled out around the back of the bar to fix it out (so the kite can't re-power up), then wrap up all four lines up to the kite. If you tried to wrap up a rear line instead of the safety line, you are essentially putting the kite on three lines (the safety line which pulled out and is attached to the the front lines AND a rear line). that will re-power the kite basically every time. if you popped your safety and the kite is somewhat powering up, just walk up the safety and then up ONE front line (if the safety hooks to the front lines) all the way up the kite without wrapping lines. if you walk up one front line, kite really should not power up unless a bridle is seriously wrapped around a wingtip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”