Thanks.

craigT
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman surf: passport and gambler: any feeback

Postby craigT » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I'd like to hear some feedback if anyone has one yet, I see hydr8 has them in stock but the price has gone up £100 in a few days!

dannyalvarez
Frequent Poster

Postby dannyalvarez » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Been using the Magnum last couple of sessions.. so far impression are that they are infact lighter than last years model they all are.. I;ve also tested the Gambler super great for strapless riding easy to pop a little bit wider than MAgnum but great for all around. the magum feels great in big size waves goes reall fast down the line really steady feel does not side around when on edge and Gunny board shape. Have not had much time on the magnum but will get some play time soon to report sorry... anyhow Consctruction and board finshes is superb very good manufacturing ..The desing by Master shaper Sean ORdonez and SOS shapes is a more dedicated surf feel that has been proven to work...have not ridden the passport but will report soon suposed to be the crossboard from kite to paddling into the surf... Oh forgot I also like the five fin configuration that can let u set up either in Tri fin or quad. and apart comes with some fin plugs. to fill the empty boxes when using either one nice ffeature to have..
\
ok later
Attachments
jmmm..ok 034c.jpg

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Chapin Beach, Cape Cod MA
West Dennis Inlet, Cape Cod MA
Puclaro, Chile
Anywhere in the Gorge or Oregon Coast
Style: Wakestyle/Strapless Surf Skim Wakeskate

Postby Chooch » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:32 pm

So for a bit of backgroud, I had the 2010 5'9" Wainman Surf last year. I rode in a lot of different conditions (all strapless) that include 10'+ Swell, River Swell, Chop, and Flat water. I found the board to be best in the ocean swell, it was a little bit to narrow for strapless freestyle and chest high river swell.

So enter the new 2011 boards, The Magnum, The Gambler, and The Passport. I have a limited amount of time on the range and have not ridden every size (Spent time on the 6'0 Magnum, 5'10 Magnum, 5'7 Gambler, and 5'11" Passport)

The Magnum is a really close match to last years Surf Series, it is a bit lighter, the tails shape is just a slight bit different, and the concave design was changed.

The Passport and Gambler really don't compare to any of the old boards (2010).

The Gambler takes a bit of DNA from the Magnum and Passport to make it a great all around board. Its wide enough to make strapless more forgiving and helps with its light wind abilities. Yet the tail and bottom shape make it lively enogh to slash waves (the swallow tail helps increase the drive in smaller waves). It has 3D molded channels around the fin boxes to help grip the water at speed, this will help prevent your board from washing out when making a powerful turn. It my goto board for smaller swell on the coast and strapless freestyle in the Gorge.

The Passport is really a dedicated strapless board for light wind that doubles as a paddle surfboard. It has the most volume out of the three boards and comes with just a rear deck pad, it has inserts for straps but they are not included since its a board with a flatter nose rocker line (for a faster board) that is not meant to be ridden with a lot of power. This is a great board if you are plagued by light winds or travel a lot and would want a board that surfs and kitesurfs well.

Magnum

Gambler

Passport

rohin
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Gero & Greenhead
Style: waves

Postby rohin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 am

interested to hear any feedback on the gambler or passports.
i wonder if they could be too wide? Seem a lot wider than most designs about.

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Puclaro, Chile

Postby Chooch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:20 am

rohin wrote:interested to hear any feedback on the gambler or passports.
There are plenty of other companies that have boards with similar widths.....not sure what your talking about.

Your best bet is to take one out for yourself and see what its all about. Words on a website or forum can only do so much. Personal experience from a demo is what really matters when it all comes down to it. No teo people ride alike so your best off to get one under your feet and see what its all about. :naughty:

satanXX
Medium Poster

Postby satanXX » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:06 am

sorry but I agree. 20' is wide, most of board are around 19'.
Someone knows the thickness. Hope it's not too much...

kiteboardkorea
Medium Poster

Postby kiteboardkorea » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:54 am

Chooch wrote:
There are plenty of other companies that have boards with similar widths.....not sure what your talking about.

Your best bet is to take one out for yourself and see what its all about. Words on a website or forum can only do so much. Personal experience from a demo is what really matters when it all comes down to it. No teo people ride alike so your best off to get one under your feet and see what its all about. :naughty:
19 to 20 are very common sizes in boards these days,

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Puclaro, Chile

Postby Chooch » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:55 pm

kiteboardkorea wrote:
Chooch wrote:

19 to 20 are very common sizes in boards these days,
Thats why we have a full lineup of shapes and sizes, if you want a narrow board then go with the Magnum! Narrow boards are all good when your out in the big stuff but they tend to be a bit boring in smaller surf, this is where the Gambler and Passport really excel.

SURF BOARDS 2011 - Shaped by Sean Ordonez

Gambler:
5'7 x 19 1/2" x 2 1/4" 7.6 lbs
5'10 x 20" x 2 1/2" 8.0 lbs

Passport:
5'8 x 19 7/8" x 2 3/8" 6.6 lbs
5'11 x 20 1/2" x 2 1/2" 6.9 lbs

Magnum:
5'7 x 17 5/8" x 2" 6.4 lbs
5'10 x 18 1/8" x 2 1/8" 6.8 lbs
6'0 x 18 1/4" x 2 1/4" 7.1 lbs
6'2 x 18 1/2" x 2 5/16" 7.3 lbs